Anybody Ever Have A Pin In Their Toe?

Lounge By nickymom Updated 9 May 2007 , 7:01pm by lynda-bob

nickymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickymom Posted 7 May 2007 , 7:01am
post #1 of 8

I serverly broke my pinky toe last week. laid it out at a 90 degree angle (yuck)...anyhoo had to have a pin put in.....now I can't sleep, it's so stinking uncomfortable...I'm suppose to be walking in the cast shoe they gave me but I can't seem to take the weight ...it feels weird....I go back in 2 weeks for x-rays and then in 3 more weeks to get the pin removed.....anyway just wondering if anybody ever had to have a pin put in and how did your foot/toe heal? Did it bother you whene you had to have the pin removed?

7 replies
shelbur10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbur10 Posted 7 May 2007 , 12:19pm
post #2 of 8

I've never had a pin in my toe, but my DH had pins in his hand and fingers several years ago. I realize that's a lot different, since you don't walk on your hands... icon_rolleyes.gif
But, his hand healed very well, he doesn't have any more problems, and when he had them taken out, he said it didn't hurt at all, they just slid out. He's still got them around somewhere...ew.
I'm sorry you're so uncomfortable!! Hope you heal up soon!!

bluehen92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bluehen92 Posted 7 May 2007 , 12:34pm
post #3 of 8

My DH had pins in his hand many years ago. He healed just fine, and they drugged him up before they pulled the pins out. One of them was stuck and the PA really had to put all his weight into getting it out! He watched them do it, but wasn't in any pain because of the drugs.

I'm not sure why you're having trouble walking because that toe is non-weight bearing. icon_confused.gif We really don't need those little piggies at all icon_biggrin.gif

-Lisa

mom2seven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2seven Posted 7 May 2007 , 12:50pm
post #4 of 8

Ouch ouch.gif , Never a had pen put in. I did shatter my big toe 2 years ago, lost the toe nail. The nail did grow back but I have to keep it trimed really short because both side get ingrown if I don't. My big toe is now larger than before it was broke and it still hurts if it gets bumped even lightly. I also still can't bend my toe much. I never could ware the case shoe, it hurt more to have it on.

On a funny side note I have only broke 4 bones, 3 toes and all on my right foot. Big toe (2005) was 2 bones, than my pinky toe (2002) and the one next to it (1999). Can you tell I don't ware shoes much? LOL, well I can't ware anything other than really comfy sneakers now, no sandals or flip flops. icon_rolleyes.gif

kbochick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbochick Posted 7 May 2007 , 3:48pm
post #5 of 8

I never have, but I have a friend who had pins in her toes in high school. I never heard her complain about them at all, and I didn't even know they came out. So, it must not have been too traumatic for her.

nickymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickymom Posted 8 May 2007 , 7:39pm
post #6 of 8

Thanks yall I feel much better today....though it still feels a little weird to walk (I have to walk in a cast shoe) I think it's the pressue and tension and not really the weight I mentioned. Though like I said today I feel much better. Hubby told me that Dr. told him right after the surgery that it shouldn't hurt to get the pin removed. he'll do it in his office w/ no pain or numbing because it sholdn't hurt. The toe is still a bit swollen & bruised and the kids are grossed out by the ball at the tip of pin which is sticking out of the top of my toe. LOL
I looked at some video on youtube that shows some pin removals and thoigh some look al little gross it seems quick and pretty easy so I'm at easy.

cookingfor5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookingfor5 Posted 9 May 2007 , 2:17pm
post #7 of 8

Your pin sounds a lot more serious than mine. I had bunion surgery and they had to cut and move my bone at the base of my little toe. I didn't have any pain really. Yours was a break so I can definitely see it hurting a lot more. Give it another day of rest and you should feel better about putting weight on it.

Hope you feel good soon!

lynda-bob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynda-bob Posted 9 May 2007 , 7:01pm
post #8 of 8

You'll do great! My son was ten at the time and had to have surgery on both of his feet (he has cerebral palsey so he has some orthopedic deformity). Anyway, he had his casts on for like three months and they took the pins out in the doc's office. They didn't give him any drugs and he didn't even wince. I think he was more plotzed over the sawing the casts off! lol thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%