Textured Rolling Pins?

Decorating By mamacc Updated 31 May 2006 , 1:04pm by redhare

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 30 May 2006 , 2:24pm
post #1 of 14

Does anyone know a good site to order textured rolling pins from? I'm looking for something for a baby blanket....like maybe a teddy bear one or something else baby-ish. I've seen the teddy bear one on a cake before and it looked really cute.

Thanks,
Courtney

13 replies
ChrisJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChrisJ Posted 30 May 2006 , 3:05pm
post #2 of 14

I've browsed www.sugarcraft.com and have seen them there, along with a lot of other stuff. I have never ordered from them though...I just HATE paying shipping & handling charges.

Maybe others can help with customer service.

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 30 May 2006 , 8:17pm
post #3 of 14

Textured rolling pins are very expensive. There are some impression mats that are not too expensive. Have you considered using a small cookie cutter and just pressing gently over the fondant? It make a nice clear impression.

manyacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manyacakes Posted 30 May 2006 , 9:40pm
post #4 of 14

i've seen a fondant textured rolling pin at michael's and ac moore recently for $9.99. i got one but i haven't used it yet. i think the pattern is a swirl pattern.

i don't know if you have a sur la table store near you. they have wooden ones seems like they range from $36 to $53.

manya

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 30 May 2006 , 11:01pm
post #5 of 14

I think the wooden ones are for special cookies from the Scandinavian Countries. Go to www.berylscakes.com. or Sugarcraft. Just like dealing with Beryl's better. If you find something you like then you might try ebay for a better price. If you search for textured rolling pins on the net a lot of sites will come up where you can explore. I think Cakes by Sam has some too.

prettycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycake Posted 30 May 2006 , 11:07pm
post #6 of 14

They might be quit expensive, but they are worth it..
I have 6 of these..But your other option are those tiny rubber stamps, which I also have and used.
But rubber stamps with baby designs..They work really well. They are very inexpensive...Michael's has a lot of rubber stamps. icon_smile.gif

vixterfsu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vixterfsu Posted 30 May 2006 , 11:12pm
post #7 of 14

I found a guy on ebay who sell impression mats
and let me tell you, reasonable and they work!

(craftclearance) he goes under on ebay.
I also found some great molds from him.
Look it up and let me know.
vicki

fearlessbaker Posted 30 May 2006 , 11:17pm
post #8 of 14

Would love to use the rubber stamps. Just afraid though they are not food safe. There is something in the rubber stamps that some people can be very allegic to. Not wanting to rain on anyone's parade. Just a thought/

prettycake Posted 30 May 2006 , 11:20pm
post #9 of 14

well, you can use plastic wrap on top of the rubber stamp...
or does plastic wrap have something in it that unsafe for food ? icon_smile.gif
we can't worry about everything, unless it is really obvious..just my thoughts and opinion.. icon_smile.gif

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 30 May 2006 , 11:49pm
post #10 of 14

If you have a license and a business to protect, you have to worry about everything. But there are lots of stamps that are considered food safe.

And plastic toys may work as a imprint.

prettycake Posted 30 May 2006 , 11:56pm
post #11 of 14

or you can use Tippits ? or is it Tappits ?
They have some really cute designs for babys. They look like plastic cutters. Creative Cutters have them.. and they are used or safe for food or Fondant. icon_smile.gif

fearlessbaker Posted 31 May 2006 , 1:52am
post #12 of 14

Ok, the Tappets or Tippits are a great idea. There's Patchwork Cutters and Creative Cutters Too. The idea about the plastic wrap is good. Having worked in a court room for 30 years and seeing what people go after each other for I tend to be overly cautious. That's just me.

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 31 May 2006 , 12:19pm
post #13 of 14

Thank for all the help! I checked out the tappits. I couldn't find them at creative cutters but they did have them at Beryl's. Those tappits are really neat! Wow, I could go crazy buying cutters on either of those sites!!! I did find a really cute teddy bear rolling pin at Beryl's for $20. The one thing I really like about it is how it makes a raised teddy instead of an impression... Here's the link in case anyone wants to check out their rolling pins. The teddy bear one is at the bottom. -

http://beryls.safeshopper.com/86/cat86.htm?386

I might have to order some tappits too. Does anyone use these regularly?

Courtney

redhare Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redhare Posted 31 May 2006 , 1:04pm
post #14 of 14

I too saw the spiral one at Michaels for 10 bucks - it took ALL of my being not to get it yesterday (even better buy if you have the 40% off coupon).

but ok stupid question was a tappit?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%