What Rose Cutters Are The Best

Decorating By sunflowerfreak Updated 9 May 2007 , 6:49am by johannap_73

sunflowerfreak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunflowerfreak Posted 6 May 2007 , 9:11pm
post #1 of 32

I don't like the pink rose cutters by Wilton. My roses don't come out good with those cutters. It's probably just me. But I am looking to purchase some new cutters and don't know which ones to get. I want to make large to medium roses. Which cutters would you recommend?

31 replies
bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 6 May 2007 , 9:19pm
post #2 of 32

Geez, that's a tough one! I have probably every rose cutter out there! I like them all too! Sheesh! I wish I could have been more help...icon_redface.gif

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 6 May 2007 , 9:31pm
post #3 of 32

sunflowerfreak, the one I saw Nicholas Lodge use on his video of how to make sugarcraft roses was the JEM Easy Rose cutter. You can see them here: http://www.globalsugarart.com/catalog/category_745_JEM_CUTTERS_Flowers_and_Foliage_page_2.html

I ordered one (can't remember what size), but I haven't had a chance to try it yet. I figured that if he was using it, it had to be worth getting. icon_wink.gif Then again, with his talent he could probably cut the gumpaste out with two pieces of flint and still make a gorgeous flower. icon_rolleyes.gif

sunflowerfreak Posted 6 May 2007 , 9:52pm
post #4 of 32

Sugar Plum Fairy-How do you use those cutters? Do you cut out a few of them and just stick them together or do you need different sizes of the cutters to make a rose?

bobwonderbuns Posted 6 May 2007 , 9:57pm
post #5 of 32

Those pink cutters are the easy rose cutters. It's a giant 5-petal cutter and the rose is made by forming a flower cone in the center (think cel-buds) and wrapping one petal at a time, I think it's petal 1,3,4 then 2 and 5 up around the cone. Do this twice with the smaller size and once again with the larger size for a larger rose.

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 6 May 2007 , 10:05pm
post #6 of 32

I like the Easy Rose or All In One Rose cutter. Here is a tutorial on how to make a rose using this cutter.
http://www.culpitt.com/how-to.php?page=162

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 6 May 2007 , 10:25pm
post #7 of 32

Yep, Shirley is the expert here! Well, bobwonderbuns got it also. icon_wink.gif

I keep saying I'm going to sit down and rewatch the DVD with all my newly purchased supplies in front of me, but so far I just haven't seemed to be able to find the time. Hmmm....maybe later today.

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 6 May 2007 , 10:46pm
post #8 of 32

Like Shirley, I like the all in one rose cutters but prefer the ones made by FMM. IMHO, the little protruding part on the center of the petal adds a lot to the look of the finished rose.

Here is the cutter. They come in 6 sizes.

Here are instructions from FMM on how to use it (scroll to page 2)

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 6 May 2007 , 11:10pm
post #9 of 32

That is such a cool cutter, I WANT one! I like the little point at the end of each petal, makes you one step ahead of the game. That is a nice little tutorial as well, I have saved it. Thanks for the link Miriel.

sunflowerfreak Posted 6 May 2007 , 11:33pm
post #10 of 32

WOW you guys are awesome. I love CC. I know I can get all of my questions answered here. I didn't think I would get tutorials too!! I will definitely get some of the cutters. thanks so much.

sunflowerfreak Posted 6 May 2007 , 11:45pm
post #11 of 32

OK so on the cutters that have the protruding part, would I need to get different sizes to make a rose? Or do you just cut out 2-3 roses and put them together? I guess maybe if I read the tutorial I would find out.

JavaJunkieChrissy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JavaJunkieChrissy Posted 7 May 2007 , 12:32am
post #12 of 32

I want that cutter!! Thanks for the links so I can see how to use it....I'll be adding that one to my favs. thumbs_up.gif

sunflowerfreak Posted 7 May 2007 , 12:42am
post #13 of 32

If I ordered a 55mm and a 65mm rose cutter what size calyx should I order to go with them? anyone know?

miriel Posted 7 May 2007 , 1:21am
post #14 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflowerfreak

If I ordered a 55mm and a 65mm rose cutter what size calyx should I order to go with them? anyone know?

I would get the 55mm for that size rose you are making. The next size up for calyx is 70mm and that would be too big.

sunflowerfreak Posted 7 May 2007 , 9:25am
post #15 of 32

Do you think the 50mm and 65mm are too big of a rose to get?

missyek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyek Posted 7 May 2007 , 10:55am
post #16 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by miriel

Like Shirley, I like the all in one rose cutters but prefer the ones made by FMM. IMHO, the little protruding part on the center of the petal adds a lot to the look of the finished rose.

Here is the cutter. They come in 6 sizes.

Here are instructions from FMM on how to use it (scroll to page 2)

If anyone has the June/July 2006 issue of ACD, Nicholas Lodge has how-to on how to use those cutters in his article on "The Yellow Rose of Texas". Great instructions and I have been using them while making my roses--using the pink JEM all-in-one cutters (on Shirley's reccomendation... icon_wink.gif )

As for size, I have been using the 100mm and 110mm size cutters--they make larger more realistic sized roses.

Phyllis52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Phyllis52 Posted 7 May 2007 , 11:20am
post #17 of 32

Missy,

Where did you get rose cutters that large? I can't seem to find them.

Also, does anyone make their gumpaste roses on a toothpick instead of a wire?

Thanks.
Phyllis

missyek Posted 7 May 2007 , 11:37am
post #18 of 32

FUDGE! I menat to say JEM cutters, not PME (fixed that above...). Anyway, Phyllis, Global Sugar Arts has the large JEM all-in-one cutters: http://www.globalsugarart.com/catalog/category_745_JEM_CUTTERS_Flowers_and_Foliage_page_2.html

Omicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Omicake Posted 7 May 2007 , 11:56am
post #19 of 32

SAVE

Hippiemama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hippiemama Posted 7 May 2007 , 12:11pm
post #20 of 32

Thanks for posting these links. I haven't yet attempted gum paste, but eventually I will.

Phyllis52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Phyllis52 Posted 7 May 2007 , 2:20pm
post #21 of 32

Thanks, Missy - I'm going to order them tonight!

Phyllis

JavaJunkieChrissy Posted 7 May 2007 , 3:10pm
post #22 of 32

Can someone please help me....

I want to order some of the cutters this evening but what size do you order if you want life size roses??? I'm conrfused!!! icon_razz.gif

HELP!!!!!! I want/need/have to have these NOW!!!

JavaJunkieChrissy Posted 8 May 2007 , 12:57am
post #23 of 32

I'm giving this a bump because I really am confused about what size cutter I'll need.

I'm interested in getting a cutter that will give me a large rose...realistic size like you would go and pick in a garden....can anyone help me???

TIA icon_biggrin.gif

missyek Posted 8 May 2007 , 1:37am
post #24 of 32

The 110mm JEM cutter is pretty much it. That is the biggest all-in-one cutter I have seen...

bobwonderbuns Posted 8 May 2007 , 1:57am
post #25 of 32

I have the 80 mm and 90 mm pink all in one cutters and that makes a great size rose -- not too big, not too small.

JavaJunkieChrissy Posted 8 May 2007 , 3:41am
post #26 of 32

Do they come in a set ? I looked at the web site but I swear this is totally going over my head.....I think I'm too tierd ! TIA

Chrissy icon_smile.gif

miriel Posted 8 May 2007 , 3:48am
post #27 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaJunkieChrissy

Do they come in a set ? I looked at the web site but I swear this is totally going over my head.....I think I'm too tierd ! TIA

Chrissy icon_smile.gif

The FMM cutters and JEM cutters are sold separately and not as sets from www.globalsugarart.com. Each brand has 6 different sizes. To get them to display, just type "rose cutter" on the search box.

JavaJunkieChrissy Posted 8 May 2007 , 5:19pm
post #28 of 32

Thanks! I don't know why I was such an air head about that one! Sometimes I wonder...and yes, I'm a blonde icon_lol.gif

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 8 May 2007 , 6:53pm
post #29 of 32

Boy I had NO idea there were more cutters that were so easy!! Now for a question icon_redface.gif Wht size are the wilton cutters? I'd like to get some of the easy ones in those sizes.

Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 8 May 2007 , 11:21pm
post #30 of 32

That was my fault -- let me clarify: When I make a rose using the pink all in one cutter, I make one round using the 80 mm cutter. That's five petals on my rose. Then I do another round on my rose with the same size 80 mm cutter, giving my rose 10 petals. Then I cut one round in the larger 90 mm cutter and add five more petals giving it a fuller look. All in all I bought two cutters, the 80 and 90 mm and when I make one rose I cut two 80 mm and one 90 mm rounds. I hope that makes some sense! Sorry for the confusion! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%