Home Based Business In Minnesota

Business By sheepfarmer Updated 8 Jul 2014 , 5:05pm by snazzycakes1

sheepfarmer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheepfarmer Posted 30 May 2006 , 4:17am
post #1 of 10

Does anyone know the laws regarding selling decorated cakes from your home in Minnesota?

Thanks for any info that anyone can give me!!

9 replies
mhill91801 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mhill91801 Posted 30 May 2006 , 4:24am
post #2 of 10

Well, I know a few things. You cannot sell cakes from your home unless you have a kitchen that is separate from your everyday kitchen. It has to be all up to code, etc... I personally haven't looked into it closely, but I have learn alot from the wilton website forum. I also know you cannot advertise legally without a license. Meaning you cannot give out cards, posters, etc, with your prices. I guess the laws here are pretty strict as far as selling out of your home. Check with the Dept. of Agriculture to get more specific answers, but this is what I've heard.

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 30 May 2006 , 1:47pm
post #3 of 10

My parents live in Minnesota and I don't think you can sell cakes out of a home kitchen since you can't do bake sale items for a school out of one.
I know that no homemade items are allowed at schools there either, all party food have to be store bought. It's ridiculus.

TPDC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TPDC Posted 31 May 2006 , 3:28am
post #4 of 10

Unfortunatley, everyone is right so far. If you want to sell cakes out of your home (legally) you have to have a seperate kitchen, that family members do not go into. Also, the kitchen has to have all the commercial equipment. 3 compartment sink, commercial grade stove, refridgerator, all that fun stuff. Then, you have to make sure the department of Agriculture inspects. Before any of this, make sure your city is okay with you having a second kitchen with commercial equipment. I live in a town that does not allow a second kitchen in my house, NO MATTER WHAT. If you are in the same situation and want to start a business legally, your best bet is to rent kitchen space until you can open your own business. Right now, that is what I am doing.



Candee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Candee Posted 2 Jun 2006 , 1:07am
post #5 of 10

So I have a question about business cards....can you use them if they don't have pricing on them?


I found this on the web....do you interpret that as being OK if you aren't doing it "regularly?"

gabbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gabbs Posted 2 Jun 2006 , 1:15am
post #6 of 10

I don't live in the US, but i find it amazing how much stuff u have to do to open a cake business, here it is so easy...
I hope it doesn't turn out that difficult ...

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 2 Jun 2006 , 1:29am
post #7 of 10

I am actually doing all the work and have been for the last year here in Minnesota. I have spoken with someone at the Department of Agriculture. You can sell as many cakes as you want but you cannot advertise. Which meaning any venue that needs a licensed cake is a no no. I needed to go through hoops to get passed for zoning too. You need all NSF approved equipment and I will need a full hood that will cost at least $15,000. I was surprised to here that you could sell but if you think about it most of your cakes are going to places that do reqire a license. I try to keep in touch regularly with my conatct so not to break any laws that can get me in real trouble. In my case the space can be attatched but needs another entrance for the Health inspector. Also any equipment you have now is most likely not NSF approved. This is my first time posting so if you have any questions you can email me at [email protected]
Hope this helps. I have done sooo much homework on this I can recite it in my sleep!


Candee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Candee Posted 2 Jun 2006 , 1:39am
post #8 of 10

Sure not sounding like a simple process. Are you in the metro area? So if most of the cakes are for people in their own homes, like birthdays or graduations, etc, then it's OK, right? It's when you do weddings that might hold the reception at a reception hall or venue where food is served?

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 2 Jun 2006 , 1:46am
post #9 of 10

The thing is that we are not engaged in regular business. Meaning we just take orders and fill them and they go to the ultimate consumer. I do cakes for reception sites also. I am in the metro area. No not simple at all... I was all set to go same time last year and it all fell thriough. I am working on my plan to be ready by fall of 2007.

snazzycakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snazzycakes1 Posted 8 Jul 2014 , 5:05pm
post #10 of 10

I was just reading this thread, and you said you were ready to set up in 2007 in mn,  if you are still on, I would love to hear if it was successful!!!!  I am going to be moving home to mn and want to continue my cake decorating business but it sounds like there are a lot of hoops to get through!  thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%