Would You Be Offended??

Decorating By nefgaby Updated 9 May 2007 , 2:46am by wonderwoman

LanaC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LanaC Posted 8 May 2007 , 6:32pm
post #31 of 40

I want to say first, that I understand your point on the topic in general, and I agree. I also want to say, though, that SB is pretty daggone generic as you said. I don't necessarily see someone else's SB cake as being a copy of yours, but just SB. It could easily be that they didn't use your cake as inspiration, but instead used someone elses or something altogether different, like a napkin. I really don't mean to be ugly, I swear I don't, but to assume that they used yours may be a bit presumptious.

bellejoey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellejoey Posted 8 May 2007 , 6:39pm
post #32 of 40

Well, if it is a rather simple cake to copy my feelings wouldn't be hurt that much, but if it was something from my own imagination that took forever and someone didn't mention where they got the idea, I might be a little hurt...but that is just my own 2 cents. icon_smile.gif

mmgiles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmgiles Posted 8 May 2007 , 6:57pm
post #33 of 40

Well, I've yet to copy a cake where you would know at all where I got my inspiration. I've attempted to copy two cakes, I dont remember where I got the inspiration but once I finished I think I'd be doing the original poster an injustice by claiming it to have anything to do with them. At some point when I copy a cake and it looks like the original, I'll be sure to give credit lol.

doitallmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doitallmom Posted 8 May 2007 , 6:58pm
post #34 of 40

Didn't get a chance to read the complete thread, but wanted t o comment. nefgaby, I totally agree with you- even if I can't remember where I've seen the cake,idea,tip,etc, I try to make mention that "I got this inspiration from somewhere here on CC or wherehave you , but can't remember exactly who it was" or at least something to that effect. Also, could it be that maybe someone else may have just had the same take on it and did something very similar? I only mention this because I was asked to do a shower cake and came up with the bassinet idea; it wasn't until I uploaded my pic and decided to see what other CC'ers had for shower cakes that I realized it had been done many,many,many times over(LOL). Anyway, just a thought and either way, it's still a great compliment even if they were not mannerable enough to give mention of your great design!

JenWhitlock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenWhitlock Posted 8 May 2007 , 8:35pm
post #35 of 40

I just had one of my cakes copied! I was so excited, that I had to run downstairs and tell my husband. I find it a wonderful complement, and the person did mention that they saw it somewhere on CC. but to be honest I was hoping that they would have mentioned the name.

on the flip side, I just copied a cake from someone her on CC, I mentioned to her that I was going to and made sure to find her name and credit her.

I still think that it's a awesome complement, but I think that it's even better when we take the time to call out the person and give them credit
icon_smile.gif

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 9 May 2007 , 12:08am
post #36 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcturtleshell

Yeah.... I bother you all the time!! icon_lol.gif If it wasn't for you, jscakes, susanmm23, mac, CarolAnn, misseyek & all of CC I wouldn't get through a lot of cakes! thumbs_up.gif Thanks, thanks & more thanks!! Ok... do I ever have to thank anyone again? LOL icon_wink.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_razz.gificon_lol.gif

You have always thanked me!! It is really my pleasure whenever I can help.

cocakedecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocakedecorator Posted 9 May 2007 , 2:10am
post #37 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

said it many times here before:

THANK YOU for ....

is ALWAYS appropriate ...

and EXPECTED ---

after all, it's simple GOOD MANNERS

(and don't get me started on the death of good manners in our society!)

Ditto! icon_smile.gif

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 9 May 2007 , 2:34am
post #38 of 40

I guess everyone is different and have different feelings about this subject. I would be thrilled to have someone copy my cake! I guess it just doesn't bother me. I am guilty of copying cakes from here, out of magazines, off of the TV, and it's just because I LOVE the design and want to see if I can do it. Especially if it's a technique I've never done. I do try to change the cake and add my own personal touch to it or I'll take several cakes and use the different techniques from each to make my own. I truly don't believe that noone has any ill intentions when they copy your cake...they just love it, that's all. icon_biggrin.gif
Jacqui

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 9 May 2007 , 2:39am
post #39 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyonzlake

I guess everyone is different and have different feelings about this subject. I would be thrilled to have someone copy my cake! I guess it just doesn't bother me. I am guilty of copying cakes from here, out of magazines, off of the TV, and it's just because I LOVE the design and want to see if I can do it. Especially if it's a technique I've never done. I do try to change the cake and add my own personal touch to it or I'll take several cakes and use the different techniques from each to make my own. I truly don't believe that noone has any ill intentions when they copy your cake...they just love it, that's all. icon_biggrin.gif
Jacqui

I totally agree!!! thumbs_up.gif

wonderwoman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wonderwoman Posted 9 May 2007 , 2:46am
post #40 of 40

Well, I am glad I read this thread to know some CC rules of etiquette. I'm pretty new at cakes and at this forum. I've browsed through hundreds of pictures looking for inspiration. I don't feel like I'm talented enough to copy most of the designs, nor am I original enough to come up with my own! I usually save the ones I'm inspired by in my favorites. Now I'll know to give credit to the inspiration. I never would have imagined I was offending someone if I didn't. I just get so excited to know someone even saved one of mine as a favorite!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%