Corn Starch To Thicken Frosting

Decorating By Lazy_Susan Updated 27 May 2006 , 10:57am by LittleBigMomma

Lazy_Susan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lazy_Susan Posted 27 May 2006 , 10:04am
post #1 of 5

Has anyone ever used Corn Starch to thicken frosting? I don't like using powdered sugar in my frostings because it makes them too sweet. I have a White Chocolate Frosting that needs to be thickened and I was thinking about trying a bit of corn starch. Will this work??? Do you think it will affect the taste???

Thanks,
Lazy_Susan

4 replies
MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 27 May 2006 , 10:09am
post #2 of 5

Corn starch doesn't really thicken anything unless it is cooked to my knowledge. However, I have seen frosting recipes where a bit of all-purpose flour is used as a stabiliser/thickener. I was having trouble last night with my colouring 'splitting' from my buttercream, I added about a heaped tsp of flour to each colour (about 1/2 a batch each) and it brought it together nicely! I tasted it and it didn't seem to effect the taste at all. Worth a try!

Lazy_Susan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lazy_Susan Posted 27 May 2006 , 10:14am
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovibabe

Corn starch doesn't really thicken anything unless it is cooked to my knowledge. However, I have seen frosting recipes where a bit of all-purpose flour is used as a stabiliser/thickener. I was having trouble last night with my colouring 'splitting' from my buttercream, I added about a heaped tsp of flour to each colour (about 1/2 a batch each) and it brought it together nicely! I tasted it and it didn't seem to effect the taste at all. Worth a try!

Thank you! I didn't think that it would have to be cooked to thicken. I am soooooo glad I asked before just doing it icon_biggrin.gif

AshleyLogan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AshleyLogan Posted 27 May 2006 , 10:30am
post #4 of 5

Maybe try italian meringue buttercream, it uses a boilrd sugar method and thickens up nicely... good luck

LittleBigMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleBigMomma Posted 27 May 2006 , 10:57am
post #5 of 5

Have you tried the Baker's Butter Cream recipe? You can find it here on CC in the recipe archives. It's light, airy and not real sweet. It starts with a flour and water thickening process.

The recipe doesn't yield as much frosting as the usual buttercream so, be prepared to make a couple of batches. I was frosting an 8" two-layer, torted cake and used every drop.

The flavor is much like the whipped cream style frostings that are used in commercial bakeries.

I've only made it once and I'm NOT "in love with it". But, I'll be trying it again, before I decide whether it's a keeper.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%