Ice Cream Cake

Decorating By melysa Updated 5 May 2007 , 6:11am by melysa

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 5 May 2007 , 5:11am
post #1 of 17

not shaped like one, but cake with layers of ice cream....how do i do it? i've always assumed that you buy those at the store, but i was thinking i'd like to try it. so- need to know the basics as well as a time frame that i have to work on decorating. maybe i could use fbct or chocolate transfers to just stick on quickly- or even ganache and a chocolate wrap/collar. any thoughts? thanks!

16 replies
mamaof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamaof3 Posted 5 May 2007 , 5:18am
post #2 of 17

I have been asked if I could do an ice cream cake. I planned to post tonight and then I saw your post. I hope you get some responses!!

melysa Posted 5 May 2007 , 5:24am
post #3 of 17

hey,

i am thinking that i could bake one layer, torte it, so there are two layers of cake. then line the cake pans with plastic or parchment, fill with softened ice cream and re freeze. pop it out and quickly layer it and refreeze. then ice, then refreeze, then add decorations really quick. a chocolate wrap goes fast. yum i am getting hungry! what had you thought about the process?

mamaof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamaof3 Posted 5 May 2007 , 5:31am
post #4 of 17

I didn't know if I could use a regular pan or if I would need to use a springform pan. I figured I would need to bake the cake first and then use the same pan for the softened ice cream to freeze in the right shape to match the cake and then I would have to frost as quickly as possible and probably refreeze inbetween. I wonder if there is a specific frosting that is better on ice cream cakes? I use a crisco based buttercream.

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 5 May 2007 , 5:34am
post #5 of 17

All I would suggest other than what is note in the article I linked you to below is that you need to put in a dam around the ice cream so if it starts to melt it will stay inside for the most part. - this is just from experience with very warm summer party and my D-brother insisted on an Icecream cake!

Ice cream at home is different than the ice cream from DQ or somewhere else it seems to melt faster!

here is a link to the how to from CC:

http://www.cakecentral.com/article4-How-Make-an-Ice-Cream-Cake.html

For the dam, I now use 3 parts cake crumbs or the cake you cut out to even it up and 1 part of BC icing whatever you have on had. You mix it up and it's called mortar, it works great for any cake and tastes so much better than just BC. Just put it in a cone and make the dam about 1/2 to 1 inch in diameter depending on how much ice cream you will use.

Good Luck.

melysa Posted 5 May 2007 , 5:42am
post #6 of 17

gateaux, the "mortar" dam is an EXCELLENT idea. so i suppose that the pan for the ice cream would have to be an inch or so smaller to fit within the dam.

mamaof3, if you used a regular pan lined with plastic wrap hanging over the edge, you could use that to lift it out. i guess also if you dont have a slightly smaller pan than the size you bake the cake it, you could use the same size for the ice cream and just quickly trim it up to fit inside the icing dam.

i'm gonna take a look at the link. thank you gateaux for pulling that up!

gateaux Posted 5 May 2007 , 5:49am
post #7 of 17

You need to use the same size pan. You dont want to lift the cake you might break it, been there done that, late night was not thinking - what a mess.

You want to cut your cakeboard on the top of the pan as you are making everything backwards and just turn it over as if you were pulling the cake out over a cooling rack.

I hope this makes sense.

once you line the pan with plastic wrap you put the first layer of cake that will end up on top at the bottom, then put the dam and fill inside the dam with ice cream, then put the 2nd layer of cake, if you have 3 layers of cake, then you put the dam again, fill the inside with ice cream and finish with the last of the cake. Cover and Freeze, then uncover, put the cake board on the top of the pan, and turn over the cake. Use the warm towel if you need to, but try to pull off the pan. Then decorate as you wish, you can use whip cream or buttercream, you just have to work quickly and keep on putting your cake in the freezer for cooling breaks.

Keep your work area as cool as possible with ice packs if you have them. Put those back in the freezer for breaks too.

Good Luck.

melysa Posted 5 May 2007 , 5:51am
post #8 of 17

ok, so the link pretty much confirms my theory icon_smile.gif i think i am going to try it next week for my sons birthday. i need an excuse to make a cake that i dont have to spend ten hours decorating ha ha! ice cream will do the trick!

melysa Posted 5 May 2007 , 5:55am
post #9 of 17

woops, maybe not! i undertand from the link to do it upside down, but you are saying that you line the pan and assemble IN the pan? i see what you mean about the dam and ice cream layers inside the pan. do i need to refreeze in between layering each layer of ice cream or cake? say if i want 2 or so layers of icecream instead of just one?

gateaux Posted 5 May 2007 , 6:04am
post #10 of 17

Definitely freeze often unless you can work fast, just give yourself some time, and you can make it well ahead of time since you need to keep it frozen!
It's the beauty of a frozen cake!!

Good Luck.

melysa Posted 5 May 2007 , 6:09am
post #11 of 17

thanks! my goodness, its after one and my eyelids are drooping...off to bed!

post #12 of 17

after....

post #13 of 17

just....

melysa Posted 5 May 2007 , 6:10am
post #14 of 17

ONE .... more....