Fondant - How To Cover A Cake Without It Bunching???

Decorating By smoyster Updated 2 Jun 2006 , 2:57pm by tobycat

smoyster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smoyster Posted 27 May 2006 , 2:57am
post #1 of 13

What is the best way to cover a cake with fondant without those nasty bunches, wrinkles, and seams along the sides?

12 replies
Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 27 May 2006 , 3:01am
post #2 of 13

The only way I find works for me is to ELEVATE the cake on top of something high and narrower than the cake board it sits on, like an 8" cake set on the top of a Crisco can or something sturdy like that, then drape the fondant straight down to hang down well beyond the edge of the cake...then all those nasty tucks and rumply ripples end up happening down at the bottom of the fondant rather than at the bottom of the cake.

I've never seen it mentioned in directions for "putting fondant on cake", but boy, did I make a mess the first few times I tried to do it just like all the little diagrams showing how to apply fondant. Since I tried the "elevated cake" idea, I haven't had nearly the trouble with the wrinkles, if any. icon_smile.gif

winjobit77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winjobit77 Posted 27 May 2006 , 3:01am
post #3 of 13

I have no idea because i have this very prob. even with round cakes, as i know this is mostly a square cake prob. I would love some suggestions so here is a bump for ya.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 27 May 2006 , 3:12am
post #4 of 13

I agree with Homecook - that is the best way to deal with the bunching. That elevation works like a charm.

fronklowes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fronklowes Posted 27 May 2006 , 3:19am
post #5 of 13

You want to roll out a little bit more fondant than you need so you have some room to play with it. Drape the fondant over your cake(make sure it's elevated on something so you can get your hands underneath it), then go around the cake and cut off any excess fondant with scissors, leaving yourself about two or so inches past the bottom of the cake to play with. Gently tug and manipulate the corners and sides (try to just touch the edges of the fondant) until you get the fondant flat. Then take a spatula and gently press in the fondant to the bottom edge of the cake and cut off the extra fondant. Go around the cake and carefully tuck the bottom edge of the fondant under the cake or press flush with the cake board (or plate). I then take two fondant smoothers (one to hold the back of the cake and one to smooth with) and smooth out the fondant all over the cake. Try to pop and smooth any air bubbles in your fondant before you drape it on the cake. This can be done by simply inserting a needle or pin and pressing the fondant back down.

I hope this is clear. It's much easier to show someone than to explain verbally. The key to it is really having the patience to manipulate the corners of the fondant, lifting and stretching and lifting it some more until it lays flat. Also, using fondant smoothers will alleviate finger prints and indentions.

Lousaria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lousaria Posted 27 May 2006 , 3:19am
post #6 of 13

I usually cut the excess off first before I start smoothing it down. This seems to work for me.

smoyster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smoyster Posted 2 Jun 2006 , 3:13am
post #7 of 13

Thanks. I also saw in a wilton book that the example cake seemed to be elevated on something narrower. I really appreciate your help and I will definitely use this technique!

ellepal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellepal Posted 2 Jun 2006 , 3:23am
post #8 of 13

I find that elevating my fondant pulls on it and causes it to crackle at the top. I leave my cakes flat on the work table, and let the excess fondant drape over. I start working at the top and smoothing sideways.

Then, at the bottom, I make little arrow darts with the fondant towards the bottom edge so that it gives the fondant room to go somewhere, instead of bunching up. I never cut the darts so long that they interfere with the bottom edge of the cake...I cut them right up to the edge, but no further. It works great for me.
There is no easy answer, but it's worth a try! The taller the cake, the worse the bunching will be.

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 2 Jun 2006 , 6:04am
post #9 of 13

These all sound like great ideas, but I'm still confused about the size of cake board under the cake! I've been cutting the boards so that they're flush with the cake, but this seems to cause the fondant to crease at the level just above the cake board.

Anyone else having this problem?

I too have trouble with the fondant cracking on top if the cake's elevated. How do you avoid this?

Sarah

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 2 Jun 2006 , 1:19pm
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Quote:

too have trouble with the fondant cracking on top if the cake's elevated. How do you avoid this?

Maybe you are not rolling it out thick enough? I have never had that issue with mine, and I elevate every cake I have ever put fondant on.

DeniseMarlaine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseMarlaine Posted 2 Jun 2006 , 2:05pm
post #11 of 13

In my experience, thicker fondant is easier to smooth. Don't know why, but my first fondant cake (see photo) it was 1/4"+ and I hardly had to smooth it at all. When I've done it thinner, I get lots more bunching at the bottom.

Also, do all of you use the needle/pin trick to get out the air bubbles? If so, how do you get rid of the hole in the fondant? So far I've been able to decorate over the hole, but I don't think that will always be possible.

ellepal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellepal Posted 2 Jun 2006 , 2:37pm
post #12 of 13

I agree about the thicker fondant. For the pin hole, you should be able to rub it out with a fingertip.

I use a cake board that is the same diameter as my cake, and the fondant just swoops over the cake onto my prep table. That is when I start putting in my little "darts" into the excess to give it room. It works, try it! Once the extra fondant is all cut off, I then elevate the cake and refine my edges by tucking them under.

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 2 Jun 2006 , 2:57pm
post #13 of 13

I will definitely give these ideas a try! I'm not sure about the visual for the "darts", but I think I get the idea. I have been making my fondant a little thinner than the 1/4", but then it seems like I have to use sooooo much fondant for the cakes. The amount of fondant Wilton says will cover a "whatever" size cake never seems to work at 1/4".

Anyone else find that they have to use more than the recommended amount of fondant?

I will give it a try this weekend though. icon_smile.gif

Sarah

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%