Help! Storage Question

Decorating By trombonekaren Updated 5 May 2007 , 4:33am by trombonekaren

trombonekaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trombonekaren Posted 5 May 2007 , 3:39am
post #1 of 5

OK - I am working on a cake for next Saturday...I am topping it with a giant chocolate mold in the Wilton Enchanted Castle Pan. I won't have a lot of time toward the end of this week, so I am trying to get as much done now as I can. I decided to decorate the choclate piece with fondant - Wilton Brand - and I went ahead and did it tonight. Then I got to thinking - maybe the fondant will be dry and cracked by next weekend... icon_eek.gif How can I store the chocolate piece that is now covered in fondant decorations? Fridge? What do I cover it in? Will it last? Thanks! KM

4 replies
maladymay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maladymay Posted 5 May 2007 , 4:00am
post #2 of 5

I wouldn't put it in the fridge - it'll make the fondant sticky. I think a covered container out of the way of warm temperature should be your best bet. I'm not sure how big it is though. Maybe a tote with a lid?

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 5 May 2007 , 4:10am
post #3 of 5

I refrigerate fondant and it never gets sticky.
I think that depends on where ya live, what kind of climate.
I think the best bet would be to put it in an airtight container and keep it cool, maybe not refrigerated but like in a safe place in the garage..??? I dunno where ya live....I live in WA state and I store my stuff in our RV in the garage...its cold, but not refrigerator cold.
thumbs_up.gif

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 5 May 2007 , 4:16am
post #4 of 5

Since you are in Texas, I am guessing that the heat could get to it. Do you have a basement?
If not, choose the coolest place you can Just make sure that you cover it well. You dont want the chocolate to melt, I would think the fondant should be fine in your climate, I might be wrong - anyone else?

I would simple make sure to refrigerate the chocolate piece for about 10-15 minutes before you get it set up. Just to make sure it's not so soft that it will bend on you or worse!

Good Luck.

trombonekaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trombonekaren Posted 5 May 2007 , 4:33am
post #5 of 5

I am in extreme south Texas where is it so @#$%* hot all the time that even cars melt and the humidity is so high that your glasses fog up when you walk outside, so there are no cool places except in the fridge...I usually keep my chocolate transfers in there as they will soften at room temp. Hmmmmmm...what to do. I think I am going to go for the fridge. Wish me luck!! Thanks for your help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%