Large Gumpaste Roses

Decorating By melodyscakes Updated 27 May 2006 , 9:01pm by pinkopossum

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 27 May 2006 , 12:21am
post #1 of 17

i have looked everywhere and cant find what i am looling for....
i want to make gumpaste roses, but i want to make them BIG. i can only find the gumpaste rose cutter for the small size...that came in the wilton flower making set.
do you guys know where i could get my hands on this cutter? i'd be happy with a large rose petal cutter too.
thank you all!
melody

16 replies
sweetsuccess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsuccess Posted 27 May 2006 , 12:28am
post #2 of 17

Try Scott Clark Woolley's website: www.cakesbydesign.cc. I purchased his rose cutters. The rose petals in the cutter set ---which in my opinion is excellent--comes in 3 sizes and are larger than Wilton's cutter set , although I really don't know what "Big" means to you. You can call Scott--he's very approachable. His number is on the website. Good Luck!!

melodyscakes Posted 27 May 2006 , 12:44am
post #3 of 17

thank you so much!!! i am going to that site now.

i just want to make a rose bigger than i am able to with the wilton cutters.

whoo hoo!
melody

prettycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycake Posted 27 May 2006 , 12:48am
post #4 of 17

I don't think they make they big enough, at least not the size that I want.. I cut my own petals w/ a round cookie cutter, from there, I just kind of use my hands to create a rose big enough that I want..

TamiAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TamiAZ Posted 27 May 2006 , 12:54am
post #5 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by prettycake

I don't think they make they big enough, at least not the size that I want.. I cut my own petals w/ a round cookie cutter, from there, I just kind of use my hands to create a rose big enough that I want..

How big do you want this rose??? The cutters Scott sells are for smaller to normal size roses.

melodyscakes Posted 27 May 2006 , 1:26am
post #6 of 17

not sure what size i want.....i just want to make some bigger roses. i see them on wedding cakes in the wedding magizines.
i checked his site....but if his rose cutters arent very big...then i will try the tip about using a round cookie cutter and shaping it. i'll post it if it turns out for me. if not, scott had some other cool gumpaste cutters!

thanks guys!
melody

katiebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katiebug Posted 27 May 2006 , 1:50am
post #7 of 17

This is the cutter I use and it makes a fairly large rose, they do come in bigger or smaller sizes too.
http://globalsugarart.com/catalog/product_17032_JEM_90mm_Easy_Rose_Cutter.html

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 27 May 2006 , 2:06am
post #8 of 17

Scott Woolley is an amazing teacher. I have a lot of his cutters.

Another thing I do for REALLY large roses is to use the largest cutter and then roll the paste slightly thicker than I normally would. When I thin it I get a little more size that way.

melodyscakes Posted 27 May 2006 , 2:46am
post #9 of 17

thank you guys again!!

melody

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 27 May 2006 , 3:55am
post #10 of 17

You also need to start with a much larger center. It will take a bit longer to dry. Any round cutter will work for petals.

and with bigger petals, you may need to support the petal, or dry it carefully upside down, one layer at a time.

fronklowes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fronklowes Posted 27 May 2006 , 4:00am
post #11 of 17

I'm taking the gumpaste flowers class at Michael's right now. Here's an idea I've been toying with: Why not take the nested hearts cookie cutter set and cut each heart down the middle to make two petals from each heart cutter? Once you ruffle the petals, I don't think anyone would be able to tell the difference...and it would be much cheaper! You'd get several different sizes for petals, too.

TamiAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TamiAZ Posted 27 May 2006 , 4:10am
post #12 of 17

Here's a suggestion for the center of the rose... Since you are trying to make larger roses you might want to use styrofoam for the center. You could use the styrofoam balls and form them in the shape of a tear drop. Nicholas Lodges does this with some of the larger flowers he does. The flower would get way too heavy with a huge gumpaste base.

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 27 May 2006 , 4:25am
post #13 of 17

I'm not sure how the heart thing would work - rose petals are cut with circles. I make my own gumpaste - it isn't expensive at all.

fronklowes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fronklowes Posted 27 May 2006 , 5:17am
post #14 of 17

jmt1714--It's very interesting to me that you use round cutters. In my class we use teardrop shaped cutters and they make a very pretty rose. That's why I thought the heart might be a cheap substitute because if you cut it in half it looks similar to two teardrop shapes.

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 27 May 2006 , 6:08pm
post #15 of 17

Sweetsucess and Katibug, Thank you so much for the sites. And to all the rest who posted thanks a lot. All of these suggestions r great. Just what I have been looking for and working on myself. Never thought to turn the larger roses upside down.

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 27 May 2006 , 6:31pm
post #16 of 17

Here's another idea:

a paring knife and some spare time...You could make your own template and cut around it; that way you'd get the exact size and shape you want.

When I make roses, I don't cut too many petals all at once because I don't want them drying out while I work with the others. Just a thought...

I too use teardrop shapes for rose petals, since they have a bit of a softened teardrop shape in nature...

I grow about 150 roses (my real passion), but I can never seem to get a gumpaste rose I'm thrilled with...

pinkopossum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkopossum Posted 27 May 2006 , 9:01pm
post #17 of 17

thanks everyone for all the info. I'm going to try to make a big rose as well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%