How Many Cake Pans Do You Have?

Decorating By paxpuella Updated 29 May 2006 , 2:33pm by Monica0271

paxpuella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paxpuella Posted 26 May 2006 , 2:51pm
post #1 of 33

This is more of a general question, but how many pans does everyone have? I was at walmart last night looking at their wilton cake pans and they have the 6, 8 and 10 inch pans. Do you have 2 of each of these size pans so that you can bake two cakes at a time in the oven? Do you have more than that? Do you have a lot of other sizes?

I know this may sound a stupid question, but I thought if I bought 2 of each of those, that is a lot of money up front, granted I would have them forever.

Thanks.

32 replies
missmelbox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmelbox Posted 26 May 2006 , 3:01pm
post #2 of 33

Oh my, I have soo many pans I don't know the exact number. I do know that I have two sets of the Wilton 2inch, circle set. I decided it would easier for me as far as time. If you have a Michael's just use the 40% off coupon to acquire the second set. I also waited until I did a wedding cake and use the money from that to get the pans. I also have the petal pans, train, snowman(someone gave me those), the wilton Square set, the Prefered Pans(I think that' the name, the pans has a more define shape for square pans) I think I have about 4/5 of those! Iwas also to get a lot of pans from the Wilton Tent sale!

doofusmongerbeep Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doofusmongerbeep Posted 26 May 2006 , 3:04pm
post #3 of 33

These are the ones I can think of off the top of my head:

1 6" round
2 8" round
6 9" (some from checkerboard cake pan sets)

1 7" square
1 9" square
1 10" square
3 9X13"
1 11X15"
1 8" heart + large heart (not sure of size)
1 12" bundt
2 loaf pans

3 regular cupcake
1 mini-cupcake
pyramid cupcake
heart cupcake

Pineapple, Palm Tree, Superman, 3D duck, 3D mini-bear, 3D bear,
3D bunny, 3D egg, egg, candy cane, mini-ball, wonder mold,
mini-wonder mold, smiley graduation, sweetheart, shamrock, cupcake,
star, football, long loaf, mini-loaf, guitar, fish, spongebob mini-cake,
Blue's Clues

Edited: To add one, and so my post wouldn't take up so much space. icon_redface.gificon_biggrin.gif

SHADDI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SHADDI Posted 26 May 2006 , 3:11pm
post #4 of 33

i have two set of the 6, 8, 10 , 12 and one of the 14in pan haveing two set is alot better then one cause as for me when i have to do a double stacked cake i would have to use both pan and bake at the same time instead of baking one and wait for it and then bake again it save alot of time. when you have two of each. you can also wait until their is a sell at micheals somethime they have 50%off all wilton pans that's when i get mine. and as for other pans i must have over 60 pan diff. shapes lots of wilton iteams..

shaddi

gilson6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gilson6 Posted 26 May 2006 , 3:17pm
post #5 of 33

It might be easier for me to name what I don't have!!!

I have the circle set (3 of them - 2" and 3", 2 regular round and 1 beveled), heart set, hexagon set, square set (2 of them), petal, 2 book pans (1 mix and 2 mix), football, standup bear, wonder mold, soccer ball, star, butterfly, carousel horse, clown (2-3 of those), mini pan sets (2), 11"x15" (2) and quite a few of the character pans.

missyek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyek Posted 26 May 2006 , 4:12pm
post #6 of 33

Oooo, a make me think question....

Rounds: 1 2", 1 3", 3 4", 2 6", 2 8", 4 9", 2 10", 2 12", 1 14"

Squares: 2 8", 2 10" (but those are not the straight edge ones--just ordered 1 each of the straight 8", 10", and 12")

Sheets: 2 9 x 13, 1 11 x 15, 1 12 x 18

Sets: Oval, Petal, Hexagon, Heart (plus an 8"heart pan), also a number of the small oval pans (the ones that come in the Wilton CII kit)

3d pans: jackolantern, cuddly stand up bear, mini stand up bear. wondermold, mini wondermold, sports ball, mini ball, 3-d cruiser

Charater pans: mini bear pan, Cinderella mini treat pan,Topsy truvy pan, Fairly Odd Parents, Spiderman (the movie one), Scooby Doo, Spongebob, Barbie, Power Rangers, Troll Doll (I want to say I have more, but not sure...)

gilson6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gilson6 Posted 26 May 2006 , 4:46pm
post #7 of 33

Forgot -- I have the oval ones, too.

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 26 May 2006 , 4:53pm
post #8 of 33

I only have sets of two of the sizes I can bake two-at-a-time: the 6, 8, and 9's. Actually I have four of the 8's and 9's, because my original 8's I didn't like, and I accidentally bought two extra 9's. Two 8" squares and two 9" hearts and two 7" ovals, but that's it. I'll collect those sets next, as I need them, but so far everyone has ordered rounds.

The bigger ones I may have two 10's, but I only have one 14, 15, and 16, because I only bake those one at a time anyway and I don't do that many cakes, so time is not an issue too much (yet).

I have character pans, but they're mostly for the kids when I did their b-days when they were little and I didn't decorate as much. Now of course, they want something out of Collette's cakes...!

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 26 May 2006 , 5:09pm
post #9 of 33

OK, time to fess up! I have 60, yes that's right, 6-0 character/theme pans (and more on the way!) ,and then the 3in deep round set, 2in deep rounds in 4,6,8,10,12,14 & 16in sizes, 4,6,8,10,12,14,& 16in square pans, the heart set, the petal set (except the 15in) and my sheet sizes (we can't get convetional ones here) of 10 x6in & 12 x 8in (2 of each). Needless to say I have no room to keep them all icon_redface.gificon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gif !

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 26 May 2006 , 6:20pm
post #10 of 33

I have well over 100 pans. I don't know the exact count as I have aquired some more recently. Around half of those would probably be basic shapes.

I am a firm believe of two pans of the same size since I do alot of two layer cakes and would rather bake at the same time than have to wash the pan inbetween. I did get my round, heart, and square pan sets as well as most other pans at Michaels using the 40% off coupons.

I currently have one set of the oval and hexagon. I plan to get second sets in the future. I had to order them, so I decided to buy one of each.

I've also gone back in and filled in the sets. Such as the 8in heart pans to go with the heart pan set, the 10in square to go with that set, and so on.

Ricosmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ricosmom Posted 26 May 2006 , 6:20pm
post #11 of 33

I have a ridiculous amount of pans. When I first started doing cakes, I went crazy on ebay with the character pans and yearbooks. I have at least 60 character pans, square set, round set (I bought 3 extra 8"), oval and heart sets. I have a few naughty pans also. Whenever my mom's sees something she thinks I might not have, she picks it up.

I had my inventory on my computer buy someone hijacked it and I am using my son's now. I keep them in this big military wardrobe my dad gave me.

Ricosmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ricosmom Posted 26 May 2006 , 6:20pm
post #12 of 33

I have a ridiculous amount of pans. When I first started doing cakes, I went crazy on ebay with the character pans and yearbooks. I have at least 60 character pans, square set, round set (I bought 3 extra 8"), oval and heart sets. I have a few naughty pans also. Whenever my mom's sees something she thinks I might not have, she picks it up.

I had my inventory on my computer buy someone hijacked it and I am using my son's now. I keep them in this big military wardrobe my dad gave me.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 26 May 2006 , 6:21pm
post #13 of 33

deleted double post... Sorry icon_smile.gif

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 26 May 2006 , 6:27pm
post #14 of 33

I have over 100.I used to have about 300 but sold many on ebay! No room for more...

VickiC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VickiC Posted 26 May 2006 , 8:20pm
post #15 of 33

My DH would say too many! My cake stuff is taking over the TV room closet as well as the pantry and stored in tubs in the basement!. I have 2-4x2s, 2-6x2s, 1-7x3, 4-8x2s, 1-8x3, 2-9x2s, 1-9x3, 2-10x2s, 1-10x3, 2-12x2s, 2-14x2s rounds. 1-10x10x3, 1-12x12x2 (need to get another), 1-14x14x3, 1-9x13x3, 1-11x15x3, 1-12x18x3, 1-10 inch petal pan, 1-9x2 heart, a few character pans, 4-12 unit cupcake pans, 4-12 unit mini-muffin pans, 4-jumbo muffin pans. Plus I have lots of candy molds that I also use for cake decorating, lots of gumpaste cutters and veiners, several stencils, and a bunch of other stuff that I don't use very often. My other hobby is scrapbooking-I don't even want to say how much of that stuff I have also! icon_lol.gif

PS I forgot the wonder mold and sports ball.

okred Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
okred Posted 26 May 2006 , 8:27pm
post #16 of 33

I have just found several pans I need on ebay. Checked the price on wilton site and am getting them for about half price. You have to watch the shipping and handling, some sellers use higher rates. Also, these are sometimes used but many times they are new.

Amish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amish Posted 27 May 2006 , 2:10am
post #17 of 33

I think it is definately worth the money to invest in two of the smaller pans 6-9. When I first started my cake decorating class I only had 1 8in pan and it would take so long to bake a two layer cake. I also noticed that when I had 2 8in pans in the oven at the same time it not only cut back on the time it took because I had to wash the pan and stick it back in for another 35 mins. My cakes baked more evenly with two in the oven. The larger pans I usually only have one of because that is all that could fit in the oven at a time. And somebody else mentioned it, but it is a good idea to get cake products from Micheals when they have a 40% off in the paper ( usually every other week where I live). Otherwise WalMart is less expensive.

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 27 May 2006 , 2:25am
post #18 of 33

I recommend at least two sets of basic pans. Otherwise, you have to wait for them to cool and wash them before you do the next set.

I have about 100 full sheet pans (for cookies and cakes) and many multiples (2 to 12 each) of rounds and squares from 6"-14." Pans for 12 doz cupcakes. (Yes, I have a BIG 4 deck oven)

Football, soccer ball, train, hot air balloon, scooby doo, snowman

I got some great deals on pans from ebay. Keep your eyes pealed!

kakedecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakedecorator Posted 27 May 2006 , 2:39am
post #19 of 33

I have one set of each of the tier shaped pans, 2 of the round set because they are used most often.

As for character and shaped pans I have 140 and counting. I have an alphabetical list of them that also tells me which plastic tote they are stored in (I used to hang them on my kitchen walls but ran out of space, lol). I haven't updated the list in over a year and I have accumulated more since then.

As mentioned before e-bay is a great source (but do watch some of those shipping charges). Also, yard sales. My family and friends pick a lot of them up for me at yard sales. If it is a double of what I already have I just resell it on e-bay.

klg1152 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klg1152 Posted 27 May 2006 , 11:21am
post #20 of 33

Lets see, I have

2 6inch rounds
3 8inch rounds
2 10inch rounds
1 12inch round

1 10inch square
1 13x18 inch sheet pan
1 9x13 pan

3 springform pans (8, 9, and 10 inch)
1 bundt cake pan
2 cupcake pans
3 character pans (only used once)
3 large cookies sheets
2 large cooling racks
2 small cooling racks

Wow - I thought I had more but I guess not - don't have any where to put them!

LittleBigMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleBigMomma Posted 27 May 2006 , 11:31am
post #21 of 33

A bunch!

It would be nice to have a CC pan auction or For Sale by Member section.

Monica0271 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monica0271 Posted 27 May 2006 , 11:41am
post #22 of 33
Quote:
Quote:

It would be nice to have a CC pan auction or For Sale by Member section.

icon_lol.gif Kind of like a Cake Central Ebay. Maybe we could call it CakeBay? icon_lol.gif

I don't have that many probaly about 20. I am running out of room & i just started in January!

spottydog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spottydog Posted 27 May 2006 , 11:48am
post #23 of 33

ok....thought I had "way too many" but reading this thread I guess not nearly as much as you guys! Where in the world do you store them???? icon_smile.gif

LittleBigMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleBigMomma Posted 27 May 2006 , 11:49am
post #24 of 33

Might I add...

But, I never have the pan(s) I need for the project at hand.

I have to smuggle new pans into the house. heeheehee. DH thinks I have a problem. ...and I do. hahaha

myholidayboyz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myholidayboyz Posted 27 May 2006 , 4:05pm
post #25 of 33

Not enough!

No, seriously! My hubby and I are just starting to take cake decorating classes. I have:

2 9" rounds
1 6" round
3 7" hearts

I don't even own a cupcake pan any more! That's going to change soon tho!

KakesandKids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KakesandKids Posted 27 May 2006 , 4:17pm
post #26 of 33

I have way 2 many! At least 2 of each size from 9 inch up to 16 inch (squares and rounds), I have about 4- 6 and 8 inch (squares and rounds), 10- 4 inch (square and rounds), 10- 3 inch and 10- 2 inch (all rounds), 2 of each of following sets: petal, heart, oval and hexagon, 6- 8x12, 4- 9x13, 1- 11x15, Springforms 6, 8 and 10 inch, 6 cupcake pans, 3 Jumbo cupcake pans, 4 minicupcake pans.

Majority of them are Magic line but some are Wilton.

I just did inventory a few days ago for insurance purposes so I had to get everything out and put back up!

paxpuella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paxpuella Posted 28 May 2006 , 1:45am
post #27 of 33

icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif Oh my goodness !!! I am bowing down to you all right now. LOL icon_biggrin.gif I have right now 2 - 9in pans, a loaf pan, 11x13in (i think that is the size) and a bundt pan.

Thank you for all of your suggestions and replies.

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 28 May 2006 , 2:27am
post #28 of 33

I think I might have everyone beat.

I have around 700 cake pans, including all the duplicates I have of character pans (about 50 duplicates) and wedding cake sets (2 of every size and shape and 6 each of the rounds in each size) and the multiples of sheet pans (12 half sheets and 12 quarter sheets). Most of my pans are on my website, except the newest ones and the duplicates, and it says 608 at the moment. So it is probably over 700 by now. Have a look. icon_biggrin.gif

And in case anyone wonders, my DH built floor-to-ceiling shelves on 2 walls of our laundry room. Each shelf holds 4 large storage bins with each bin holding about 20 pans, some more, some less. 32 bins in all. The pans are organized by category, like Disney Characters or Vehicles or Christmas or Things (like a guitar or jukebox) The duplicates are stored in boxes in what used to be my dining room. The dining room now is used to store all my wedding cake stands and accessories.

I know...I am obsessed. I am here on CakeCentral, aren't I ? Gotta have my daily fix of cake decorating ...or is this the 12 Step Cake Decorators Anonymous room? icon_wink.gif

....and Monica0271, I LOVE the idea of CakeBay! We could really do some business here!

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 28 May 2006 , 2:32am
post #29 of 33

I also have too many to even count. I bought lots and lots of chacter pans on ebay and have tons of rounds, sheets, squares, ovals, petals...Most of my rounds and squares...I have both 2 inch and 3 inch deep.

I have found that I use the rounds and sheet pans the most...but I love all of them! icon_biggrin.gif

Monica0271 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monica0271 Posted 28 May 2006 , 5:11pm
post #30 of 33
Quote:
Quote:

I have around 700 cake pans, including all the duplicates I have of character pans (about 50 duplicates) and wedding cake sets (2 of every size and shape and 6 each of the rounds in each size) and the multiples of sheet pans (12 half sheets and 12 quarter sheets). Most of my pans are on my website, except the newest ones and the duplicates, and it says 608 at the moment. So it is probably over 700 by now. Have a look.

icon_surprised.gif 700 cake pans?? Oh my!! WOW.... I am amazed! Thats a bakery in its self! icon_surprised.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%