Butter Cream (With Real Butter For Decorators)

Decorating By jguilbeau Updated 29 May 2006 , 2:00am by jguilbeau

jguilbeau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jguilbeau Posted 25 May 2006 , 11:37am
post #1 of 26

Has anyone tried this icing? Does it crust and how does it work with making flowers?

25 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 25 May 2006 , 12:12pm
post #2 of 26

I haven't tried it but I think it would be too soft. I'm sure someone here will be able to tell you for sure.

jguilbeau Posted 25 May 2006 , 1:51pm
post #3 of 26

Thanks, Does anyone else have any experience withthis icing?

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 25 May 2006 , 2:00pm
post #4 of 26

I have only ever used real butter in my buttercream (no shortening whatsoever). It certainly isn't too soft! Whilst it may not hold up as well in hot humid conditions (not really a problem I have to contend with here). You may need to refridgerate it if your hands get too hot whilst decorating as it can melt it in the bag a bit. Once decorated I put my cakes in the fridge where they firm up much more than shortening buttercream, and yes, if you use meringue powder in it, it does crust just as well as crisco. IMO the taste of butter based buttercream is far better and if you use salted butter, far less sweet than the crisco stuff. Hope that helps!

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 25 May 2006 , 2:07pm
post #5 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by jguilbeau

Has anyone tried this icing? Does it crust and how does it work with making flowers?

This is the frosting I use on all my BC cakes. It crusts nicely without getting "crusty" and it holds up great for making flowers/decorations.

mabailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mabailey Posted 25 May 2006 , 2:08pm
post #6 of 26

I tend to agree with Bonjovibabe. It does taste better, it might get a bit soft but refrigeration takes care of that....and it does crust with meringue powder...this all from experience. >^.,.^<

bulldog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bulldog Posted 25 May 2006 , 2:10pm
post #7 of 26

I agree with Lisa. Tastes good, easy to decorate with, and it does crust nicely.

tripletmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripletmom Posted 25 May 2006 , 2:14pm
post #8 of 26

This is my main recipe (Thanks Lisa!) and yes, it does crust perfectly. The warm water seems to make all the difference. It pipes beautifully and smooths like a dream. I do use salted butter though, have not tried it with unsalted, but people still like it.

Monica0271 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monica0271 Posted 25 May 2006 , 2:21pm
post #9 of 26

So is it just the same recipe as the buttercream with Crisco, except you replace the crisco with butter? Do you all still add the butter flavoring? If you use the salted butter it doesnt taste to salty, it would seem like it to me...hummm? I really want to try this recipe. Thank you!

Lisa Posted 25 May 2006 , 2:26pm
post #10 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monica0271

So is it just the same recipe as the buttercream with Crisco, except you replace the crisco with butter? Do you all still add the butter flavoring? If you use the salted butter it doesnt taste to salty, it would seem like it to me...hummm? I really want to try this recipe. Thank you!

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1948-1-Butter-Cream-with-real-butter-for-decorators.html

Half the shortening is replaced with butter. There's 2 tsp of flavoring plus an additional 1 tsp of butter flavor to make up for the butter flavor that's lost when using half shortening/half butter rather than all butter.

Monica0271 Posted 25 May 2006 , 2:31pm
post #11 of 26

Thanks Lisa!!

jguilbeau Posted 25 May 2006 , 2:33pm
post #12 of 26

Thanks for the input. Lisa says it crust nicely, and bonjovibabe suggest to add meringue powder for it to crust. I am confused now. Also, I live in Louisiana where the humidity is awful. could anyone help clear the confusion?

Lisa Posted 25 May 2006 , 2:50pm
post #13 of 26

I've never added meringue powder. I'm in TN where it can also get humid...not as much as Louisiana though icon_smile.gif . When you try the recipe, see how it crusts for you. If it takes too long or doesn't crust well enough, you can add less warm water or add the meringue powder.

Lisa Posted 25 May 2006 , 2:55pm
post #14 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monica0271

Thanks Lisa!!

You're welcome icon_smile.gif

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 25 May 2006 , 2:56pm
post #15 of 26

Remember I use all butter - it's a bit different to the one Lisa's talikng about which cotains some shortening - hope that helps!

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 25 May 2006 , 3:02pm
post #16 of 26

I use Lisa's recipe too. 1/2 butter and 1/2 crisco. It tastes wonderful and crusts beautifully without the meringue pwdr. It does get soft in the bag when decorating though (at least with my hot hands) That is my most requested bc icing.

Debbie

jguilbeau Posted 25 May 2006 , 3:05pm
post #17 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovibabe

Remember I use all butter - it's a bit different to the one Lisa's talikng about which cotains some shortening - hope that helps!

Do you use another recipe, or just replace the 1 cup shortening with another cup of Sweet Cream Butter?

Monica0271 Posted 25 May 2006 , 3:05pm
post #18 of 26

bonjovibabe..

Do you care to share your all butter icing recipe? I really would like to try it.

Thank you!

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 25 May 2006 , 3:05pm
post #19 of 26

O.K. I'm dense. Wharn you say "this buttercream" what BC are you alltalking about? Sounds like maybe IMBC. Not sure though,. Would like to know though. Can someone clarify it for me? Thanks

jguilbeau Posted 25 May 2006 , 3:07pm
post #20 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by fearlessbaker

O.K. I'm dense. Wharn you say "this buttercream" what BC are you alltalking about? Sounds like maybe IMBC. Not sure though,. Would like to know though. Can someone clarify it for me? Thanks

Butter Cream (with real butter for decorators)
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1948-Butter-Cream-with-real-butter-for-decorators.html

kakedecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakedecorator Posted 25 May 2006 , 3:07pm
post #21 of 26

I always use meringue in my icing recipes. When I use butter (half shortening-half butter or full butter recipe) I usually cut back on the liquid (butter is really a liquid and when it gets soft -through mixing- it will change the consistency of your icing). [Hope this makes sense.]

jguilbeau Posted 25 May 2006 , 3:22pm
post #22 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakedecorator

I always use meringue in my icing recipes. When I use butter (half shortening-half butter or full butter recipe) I usually cut back on the liquid (butter is really a liquid and when it gets soft -through mixing- it will change the consistency of your icing). [Hope this makes sense.]

Yes, this makes sense. Thanks for reminding me that I may need to cut back on the liquid.

angelas2babies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelas2babies Posted 25 May 2006 , 3:23pm
post #23 of 26

I am definitely going to try this recipe. I was afraid of what happens in hot weather, but I'm in Ohio...our summers aren't quite as long as we hope...but it does get humid...the recipe sounds yummy. So, salter butter is okay? with meringe powder?

Angie

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 25 May 2006 , 3:26pm
post #24 of 26

Jguilbeau, Thanks, for the reply. It is going to be added to my CC files. Try to use all butter all the time. But this may be better in hot weather.

Lisa Posted 25 May 2006 , 3:27pm
post #25 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelas2babies

I am definitely going to try this recipe. I was afraid of what happens in hot weather, but I'm in Ohio...our summers aren't quite as long as we hope...but it does get humid...the recipe sounds yummy. So, salter butter is okay? with meringe powder?

Angie

Yes thumbs_up.gif It's a great idea to change a recipe to suit your tastes and needs. You could try it as is first to see how you like it and then make any changes. I prefer the recipe with unsalted butter because the added butter flavoring is pretty salty and you may not need the meringue powder.

jguilbeau Posted 29 May 2006 , 2:00am
post #26 of 26

I tried this recipe on my first customers cake this weekend. The customer loved it. I liked the way it spread so easy on the cake. I did add meringue powder, but was unable to make flowers with it, it was too soft and it had to be refrigerated. I iced it Thursday, and then refrigerated it. Then Friday morning I took it out to decorate, The icing got soft, bubbled and cracked in one spot on the back.

I may used this recipe again in the winter months, but unless requested by a customer, I will stay away from butter in my icings. Too humid here in Louisiana for it.

Attached is the cake I iced with this recipe.
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%