Will Cream Filling Stay Fresh Under Fondant (No Fridge)

Decorating By nicolag Updated 3 May 2007 , 8:28pm by nicolag

nicolag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicolag Posted 3 May 2007 , 1:49pm
post #1 of 4

I am getting worried...had planned to use mousse filling (the whipped cream and instant pudding mousse) for a cake to be served late Saturday afternoon. Had planned to do filling today - though can wait till tomorrow. Have to deliver Friday afternoon and will be out all night. All locations are cool and cake will be entirly covered in Satinice, I have always understood that the fondant seals the cake and makes it airtight...but am feeling nervous about the use of whipped cream.

Please let me know your thoughts and experiences with this issue...I hope someone can put my mind at ease - I do not want to have to rethink the fillings.

Thank you all so much...everything I know about cake making I learnt rright here.

3 replies
mendhigurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mendhigurl Posted 3 May 2007 , 3:06pm
post #2 of 4

Depends on where you are, and how cool the house where it's going to be at is. I wouldn't recommend the mousse filling stay out more then a couple hours. I think before it goes "bad" it will melt and start seeping out of the cake, causing it to look bad. If you're using fresh whipped cream, there's no way that can sit out for two days and still taste good either. I'm not sure about whipped topping, but I don't think that'll last two days without refrigeration either. I know you don't want to rethink fillings, but you may have to for this cake.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 3 May 2007 , 6:30pm
post #3 of 4

I usually refrigerate my mousse (same recipe) but I have heard many that don't for a day or two since there are so many preservatives in the pudding. I would fill it as late as possible, refrigerate it until it is picked up, and instruct them to keep it in a cool place. it will be fine.

nicolag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicolag Posted 3 May 2007 , 8:28pm
post #4 of 4

Well the thought of causing food poisoning to 100 folks was too much for me and Sam's club came to the rescue with a bucket (!) of buttercream...but would still like to hear if anyone has kept a cake out of the fridge for more than a day a cream filling under fondant without a problem.

Thank you for the replies ladies, would like more opinions too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%