Mini Cakes

Decorating By butrcup Updated 29 May 2006 , 7:00pm by debbie2881

butrcup Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butrcup Posted 22 May 2006 , 10:56pm
post #1 of 23

How does everyone make the mini cakes? Do you cut them to size, use a special pan? I bought a mini springform pan today...not sure if thats what I want to use but the only thing I could find with straight sides-thanks

22 replies
tysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tysmom Posted 22 May 2006 , 11:20pm
post #2 of 23

I ususally use the mini pans, but I guess it depends on how many you need to make and what shape. If it is just square or round cakes you could make a sheet cake and use a cutter to cut them the size and shape you wanted. HTH

Tammy

tye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tye Posted 22 May 2006 , 11:26pm
post #3 of 23

i bought the mini pan that looks like a 2 tiered wedding cake.. its about 4 inches tall and the bottom tier is maybe a 2 inch.. its stinks! i cannot release the cake from the pan no matter what i try and when i come close putting the icing on is a nightmare.. i did purchase the springform pan and it works fine... anytime i have extra batter i pop one of those babies in the oven and am freezing my "sample" cakes.

butrcup Posted 23 May 2006 , 12:36am
post #4 of 23

tye-
Is that how you did your sample cakes in your photos, with the springform pan?
thanks,
Mary

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 23 May 2006 , 1:21am
post #5 of 23

Whatever you do, don't get that mini pan that is all one piece. If you don't want to invest in more pans but you have either a jelly roll pan or squre cake pan you can bake a square and then use the right sized cookie cutters to cut your cake layers from those.

washipaper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
washipaper Posted 23 May 2006 , 6:08am
post #6 of 23

I just finished making 6 mini cakes last night. I live in Okinawa, Japan and we have 100 Yen stores (same theory as Dollar Stores) that carry really cool stuff. I found large white ceramic ramikens (sp?) kind of like what you would use to make creme brulee but taller. They were perfect for making a small stacked mini-cake. Maybe, if you are lucky, you can find something similar at your Dollar Store or certainly at Wal-Mart.

Joan

cupcakequeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakequeen Posted 23 May 2006 , 6:18am
post #7 of 23

You can buy mini cake pans 2", 3", 4" just do a search online for mini cake pans. Mine are by magic line I think.
If you have several to make though, you want to bake your cakes on a sheet pan and use the cutters like fearlessbaker suggested.

fearlessbaker Posted 23 May 2006 , 2:31pm
post #8 of 23

Washipaper, I have many ramekins that I use for souffles. This is a great idea. Do you prepare the ramekins as you would regular cake pans before baking?

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 23 May 2006 , 8:07pm
post #9 of 23

I also got 2, 3 and 4in cake pans from an online cake site and they are Magic Line.

Katskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katskakes Posted 23 May 2006 , 8:33pm
post #10 of 23

really dumb question... but what is a springform pan? what what type of pan do you use for jelly roll pan?

BTW: i might already have springform pan and don't even know the name. icon_redface.gif

thanks,
Kat

butrcup Posted 23 May 2006 , 8:38pm
post #11 of 23

Thanks for all the great ideas!!

Katydidz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katydidz Posted 23 May 2006 , 8:44pm
post #12 of 23

My friend and I just used the mini spring form to do a smash cake. We collared it so the cake would rise just a bit higher but it worked great.

fearlessbaker Posted 23 May 2006 , 10:06pm
post #13 of 23

Springform pans are what is commonly used for cheescakes. The bottoms are removable by loosening like a spring latch that is attached to what would be the sides of a regular cake pan. If you have a TJ Max sometime they have them there. A jelly roll pan is what is used for making jelly roll cakes. The Europeon term is a roulade. They are about 11" by 16". I like the Magic Line ones. If you do a search for the pans you will find pictures of them. Go to www.baking911.com. Bet she explains all of this.

jewels97 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewels97 Posted 23 May 2006 , 10:18pm
post #14 of 23

Some one said that using tuna cans (washed out really well of course) works well for making small cakes. I haven't tried it yet, but had my huband save his last couple of cans from his last tuna sandwichs.

tye Posted 23 May 2006 , 10:21pm
post #15 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by butrcup

tye-
Is that how you did your sample cakes in your photos, with the springform pan?
thanks,
Mary

yep, i sure did... i should buy a few more so i can bake more than one single at a time if needbe.

tye Posted 23 May 2006 , 10:24pm
post #16 of 23

washipaper - i thought of doing that.. i just may try it now...
btw- i was born in Okinawa.. many years ago.... okay NOT so many.. but welcome to CC

fearlessbaker - that was my mistake that all in one pan does not work!

fearlessbaker Posted 24 May 2006 , 1:14am
post #17 of 23

Washipaper, When there's some batter left over I put it those dumb pans and let my 3 and 6 year grand girls bake decorate and destroy. You have to really grease or spray those things!!

fronklowes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fronklowes Posted 24 May 2006 , 9:52pm
post #18 of 23

Washipaper---I grew up in Okinawa, Japan, and am so excited to see you on this forum. It's a small world! I'm making a Japanese themed wedding cake for a contest in October, so I may have to pm you for help. Welcome!

dydemus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dydemus Posted 29 May 2006 , 6:25pm
post #19 of 23

I have a different p.o.v. I use the two tier mini pans and love them. I don't know if it's a different brand - it's a heavy metal - good quality - and I use Baker's Joy and the mini cakes pop right out.

TamiAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TamiAZ Posted 29 May 2006 , 6:45pm
post #20 of 23

Another option is using Kathy Scott's chocolate molds...It's a totally different kind of cake, but they are super easy to make...

Here's her ebay store.. http://cgi.ebay.com/Mini-Wedding-Cake-Square-Cake-Decorating_W0QQitemZ4465393295QQcategoryZ79631QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

Here's one I made... You basically create a chocolate shell, cut cake with cookie cutters, place them in the shell and seal with more chocolate. You can add icing and fillings in the cake.
LL

fearlessbaker Posted 29 May 2006 , 6:48pm
post #21 of 23

I have Kathy's molds and I love them. Tami, have you tried her Tiffany Boxes. They are wonderful too. I will be taking classes from her in September. She is a nice person and will annswer any questions you have.

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 29 May 2006 , 6:49pm
post #22 of 23

Tami, that is so cool! So you just mold the chocolate in there, cut the cakes, ice and put it in and flip it over?

debbie2881 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbie2881 Posted 29 May 2006 , 7:00pm
post #23 of 23

i wanted to make a mini stacked cake but the pans were so expensive so i bought glass bowls the sizes i needed from walmart and they were also taller so it worked out great. the bowls were great as for the cake not so great. those small cakes are a pain to frost maybe i should have used a center dowel but didnt so it was a learning experience. i've also used a remiken sp?? and they work good too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%