Do Cake Strips Work?

Decorating By banba Updated 2 May 2007 , 10:02pm by kelly75

banba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
banba Posted 2 May 2007 , 7:29pm
post #1 of 9

I am wondering do these cake strips that you put around your cake tin really work?

Do they make your cake more even?

Do they eliminate the need to level a cake?

8 replies
miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 2 May 2007 , 7:35pm
post #2 of 9

I love them! They make my cakes bake evenly. If you still get a slight hump after baking, just push it down slightly after it comes out of the oven.

I still cut off the top part of the cake because I do not want that texture on my cake layers (yummy for snacking though!)

cathyfowler662 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyfowler662 Posted 2 May 2007 , 7:43pm
post #3 of 9

I love the cake strips! My cake come out even, too. You just need to make sure that you get the strips very wet, and they will work better

bambuf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bambuf Posted 2 May 2007 , 7:45pm
post #4 of 9

I absolutely adore mine! They make my cakes so easy to work with! I think it is well worth the money!

sami7333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sami7333 Posted 2 May 2007 , 7:46pm
post #5 of 9

I use them sometimes but sometimes they just don't work for me! I know it sounds crazy... I'm thinking its older pans they don't work with. But I also agree on taking the hump off. I use thread, works nicely!!! Makes a nice clean cut! And if you love fresh cake like I do there's an awesome snack!

tinabee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinabee Posted 2 May 2007 , 7:54pm
post #6 of 9

Yes I think they work great! When I first started baking I didn't use them and then when I finally decided try them I was amazed at the difference that they made! The cake bakes very even, but like was already mentioned, I still cut the top off for texture purposes. Definitely worth trying in my book!

kelly75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelly75 Posted 2 May 2007 , 8:54pm
post #7 of 9

I don't have bake-even strips, I use a strip of towel, folded to get double thickness and soaked in cold water. I squeeze out just enough water so they don't drip but are still nice and wet and pin the ends together with bulldog clips (for stationary). My cakes are always perfectly level and flat on top and then I just throw the towels in the wash! If the strips get tatty, I just cut another length off of the towel!

HTH

Kelly

banba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
banba Posted 2 May 2007 , 9:33pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks to all for your opinions! I was thinking of investing in a few but I might give kelly75s idea a go first! It's free and a great tip cheers kelly75!

kelly75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelly75 Posted 2 May 2007 , 10:02pm
post #9 of 9

Just re-read my last post and wanted to make sure I was clear - I mean to use fabric towel (like terry-cloth) not paper towels! You all probably realised that, but just in case... I don't want to be the cause of anyone's oven catching on fire!!

Kelly

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%