Have Yellow Cake Mix, Need Chocolate Can I Add Some Cocoa?

Decorating By katskreations Updated 22 May 2006 , 6:14am by Cakepro

katskreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katskreations Posted 22 May 2006 , 12:15am
post #1 of 8

My son just told me he wants chocolate cupcakes for a party at school tomorrow and I only have a yellow DH cake mix. Can I add cocoa to make it chocolate? If so do I add more moisture? Would adding a chocolate pudding and extra egg work? I really don't want to run to the store at this time of night.

7 replies
vixterfsu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vixterfsu Posted 22 May 2006 , 12:22am
post #2 of 8

I think that would work.
v

subaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
subaru Posted 22 May 2006 , 12:24am
post #3 of 8

I have done this before. I just added cocoa until I thought i tasted chocolaty enough, and added just a small amount of buttermilk. I almost always use buttermilk in my cakes, but you could use water.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 22 May 2006 , 12:31am
post #4 of 8

do both chocolate pudding and extra cocoa powder...gives the extra moisture (pudding) and deeper richer taste (pudding+cocoa).

katskreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katskreations Posted 22 May 2006 , 12:37am
post #5 of 8

Thanks so much, you guys are life savers!!!

scoobam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scoobam Posted 22 May 2006 , 12:40am
post #6 of 8

If you happen to have choc. syrup around the house and pudding.. this is a great recipe from Lisa...

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1988-0-Blue-Ribbon-Moist-and-Fudgey-Chocolate-Cake.html

HTH! icon_biggrin.gif

rlm5150 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlm5150 Posted 22 May 2006 , 1:11am
post #7 of 8

I just did this the other day. I added chocolate pudding and chocolate syrup to the yellow cke batter and it was deklicious today. It wasn't as dark as a normal chocolate cake but tasted just as good.
TAB

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 22 May 2006 , 6:14am
post #8 of 8

You can also use some instant coffee or instant espresso crystals, dissolved in some of the water called for, to really bring out that chocolate taste. Or use regular coffee that has cooled to room temp. I did this the other day and the cake was outstanding! I also added a box of chocolate pudding.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%