What If . . .

Decorating By egarman Updated 18 May 2006 , 10:58am by LittleLinda

egarman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
egarman Posted 17 May 2006 , 5:07am
post #1 of 23

I have a Wonderbowl cake pan which I've never used and now I'd like to make a doll cake to raffle at Relay for Life on Friday BUT....I don't have the heating rod that goes in the middle. What do I do now? Please help! You "guys" are the best. Thanks. Ellen

22 replies
bush1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bush1 Posted 17 May 2006 , 5:13am
post #2 of 23

I'm not sure of the pan youre talking about but is there a way to put a flower nail in the bottom of the pan? If so, I would just use that to make sure the cake cooks properly and lower your oven temp to 325. Hope this helps!!!

Bettycrockermommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettycrockermommy Posted 17 May 2006 , 5:57am
post #3 of 23

I have a pan just like that, and I was able to get my local cake supply store to order the heating rods for me after my daughters lost the original. I think that they ordered it from wilton. I hope that helps.

egarman Posted 17 May 2006 , 1:28pm
post #4 of 23

Thanks for your answers. Anyone else have any ideas? The problem is I don't have time to order a new rod so I'm hoping for a substitute idea!! I'm wondering what will happen if I just bake it without it. Other suggestions are more than welcome!!!!!!!!!

jlewis888 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlewis888 Posted 17 May 2006 , 1:32pm
post #5 of 23

Unfortunately, the cake will not get done in the middle--and the outside will be Crispy!

See if anyone on this website lives close to you and can loan you one or you could do the stacked rounds cakes and carve them into the mold pattern. When the cake is decorated, no one will know the difference.

Or, you could get the AC Moore Coupon today for 50% off any one item, and go and buy you a new one--wouldn't be too much $$.

I am in Alabama--wish I could help.

mmdd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdd Posted 17 May 2006 , 1:38pm
post #6 of 23

That cake will not get done and even if you could put a flower nail in there, I don't think it would help much.

I agree with jlewis....make rounds and carve.

Good Luck!

BTW, make those daughters of yours buy you a new one, lol!

luv2cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2cake Posted 17 May 2006 , 1:38pm
post #7 of 23

okay, here's what I did in this situation.
I am embarassed to admit it, but I did it and it worked for me.

I baked the cake at 300 degrees for 45 minutes or so. I kept checking on it and of course the middle was still very undercooked. I didn't want the outside to burn while the insides were still liquid, sooooooo, I looked around my kitchen for something metal and long enough to reach the bottom of the pan, and all I could come up with was a beater from my handheld mixer. I put that in there and it ended up baking just fine. It did make a larger hold in the middle than normal, but it worked out for me since I used a full-sized Barbie. This hole is where she fit.

If you choose to use the beater, you will need to do it as I did, once the edges are cooked somewhat and able to support the weight of the beater. If you put it in right away, it won't stay in the center.

I can't wait to get another heating core, and not have to use this improvised method again, even though it worked for me.

Hope you can come up with something that will work for you.

tanyap Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanyap Posted 17 May 2006 , 1:40pm
post #8 of 23

How about going to Home Depot or Lowe's and see if you can get a metal rod of the same thickness/hollowness? They will probably even cut it for you to the right length. I would guess it wouldn't be more than a few bucks. Or, you might even find a nail or screw or maybe even a garden stake (I think that's what those things are called) that is the same length as the depth of the wonderbowl so you don't have to get anything cut.

Good luck!

jlewis888 Posted 17 May 2006 , 1:43pm
post #9 of 23

If you are going to try other "metal" objects as a heating core, make sure it is safe. I would probably search my kitchen for a stainless knife or soemthing before having something cut at Home Depot. My luck--what I had cut would poison the person eating the cake.

Just a suggestion.
J

tanyap Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanyap Posted 17 May 2006 , 1:48pm
post #10 of 23

jlewis88 - good point...I forgot about that...I would ask them - aluminum would be the safest way to go and then soak it in boiling hot water and then wash with soap. If you tell them what you're trying to accomplish they are usually very good in steering you in the right direction. and don't forget to take the pan if you decide to go!

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 17 May 2006 , 1:48pm
post #11 of 23

a piece of stainless steel rod, that has been well cleaned (I'd wash w/ dish soap, then w/ rubbing alcohol, and then rinse w/ boiling water to get off any coating that may be on it) should work just fine.

jlewis888 Posted 17 May 2006 , 1:51pm
post #12 of 23

Very good point Tanyap! Don't forget the pan! Precision would be incredibly important for this substitution.

J

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 17 May 2006 , 4:25pm
post #13 of 23

Not to turn this into a negative or anything, but how will a metal rod stand up? The wondermold pan has a rod that is threaded inside and it stays on with a screw. Before I learned about the flower nail, I used to use a canoli maker thing. It's a hollow tube, and about six inches long. That would at least stand up. You put it into the batter so that there is cake baking on the inside of the tube also, use that to plug the hole. Grease and flour the tube inside and out.

You probably don't have a canoli maker anyhow. I understand you don't want to buy another pan as you have had this one and never used it! Does anybody think an aluminum drink can would work if you could slice off both ends?

LittleLinda Posted 17 May 2006 , 4:28pm
post #14 of 23

Ellen, I have a suggestion. Post this again with a subject line that indicates what your problem is. You'll attract the readers who can help you.

jlewis888 Posted 17 May 2006 , 4:30pm
post #15 of 23

I agree--re-post listing the specific problem.

I still think making the round cakes and carving them into a dress is your best bet.

J

Katydidz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katydidz Posted 17 May 2006 , 4:32pm
post #16 of 23

What about a metal barbecue skewer?

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 17 May 2006 , 4:33pm
post #17 of 23

I have used, in a pinch, a piece of rolled up tin foil. or aluminum foil (depends on where you are and what you call it i guess). It worked fine for me. Used it in a large stainless bowl for my cup o cocoa cake. Also I put a shallow pan with about an inch of water in the bottom of my oven too when I bake.
That seems to help with the crispy critters on the edges there.
Hope this helps a little bit.

egarman Posted 17 May 2006 , 4:48pm
post #18 of 23

Thanks to Thevienneaus for the repost suggestion. I'll try that; but I've also sent an email to Wilton asking about getting a replacement rod and what to do in the meantime! I like the tin foil idea; at least I have that on hand!! Thanks everyone for all your suggestions. You all are truly great! icon_biggrin.gif
Ellen

sandie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandie Posted 17 May 2006 , 6:11pm
post #19 of 23

I am not sure if this would work, but try rolling aluminum foil into a tube, and insert it.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 17 May 2006 , 6:17pm
post #20 of 23

Go to the hardware store. Get a piece of 1/2 inch steel pipe and have it cut to the size you need (about 7 inches). Take it home and clean it thoroughly, inside and out. Use a bottle brush to clean the inside and any threads. Make sure the edges are clean, with no file or cut marks sticking up.

Only use the steel pipe.

Grease your pipe well before inserting in pan.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

CCCTina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CCCTina Posted 17 May 2006 , 6:22pm
post #21 of 23

Do you have any other 3D pans on hand or that you can borrow from someone? The Wilton teddy bear pan has an insert that you could use if you rested it on something else propped across the pan to hold it in place.

egarman Posted 17 May 2006 , 11:36pm
post #22 of 23

I would like to thank everyone for their help on this. I have received an answer back from Wilton already icon_surprised.gif and they are sending me a new heating rod, free. Won't be able to do the cake for Friday but I've already come up with something else! icon_biggrin.gif Thanks again.

Ellen

LittleLinda Posted 18 May 2006 , 10:58am
post #23 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by egarman

I would like to thank everyone for their help on this. I have received an answer back from Wilton already icon_surprised.gif and they are sending me a new heating rod, free. Won't be able to do the cake for Friday but I've already come up with something else! icon_biggrin.gif Thanks again.

Ellen

Wow! That's awesome!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%