Blank Canvas...blank Mind

Decorating By jenbakescakes Updated 3 May 2007 , 3:42pm by mgdqueen

jenbakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenbakescakes Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 5:31pm
post #1 of 12

Ok here's the situation...a builder I have met a couple of times heard about a hummingbird cake that I do and wants me to make one for him. No special occasion, just to try it. I'm going to frost it with cream cheese icing but have no clue what to do about decorations! I really want to impress him since he knows a lot of people in the area and could potentially bring in some customers. It is a 10 inch round cake. I kind of want to stay away from fondant with this one, just cream cheese frosting on the cake and maybe bc and ri decorations. Any ideas?? I've got cakers block!! icon_cry.gif

11 replies
ashley87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashley87 Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 7:28pm
post #2 of 12

do you want it to be "manly" or not???

JenniferHeath Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferHeath Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 7:36pm
post #3 of 12

You could decorate it with some tools or something like that?!

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 7:38pm
post #4 of 12

If you want to can make some Construction type Materials:

Out to chocolate make some wood.
Use the mini ice cream cones, covered either in orange chocolate of "orange cookie icing" to make constructions cones. You could pipe some tools or even if you are used to working with chocolate get a mold and make a tool box and chocolate tools.
You could make a design of his logo or what the side of his truck advertising looks like either on gumpast or chocolate or a fondant piece or even potato or rice wafer paper.
Anything that will look Constructions Just google construction sites or constructions cakes and you might get a tonne of ideas.

I made a cake for one of my best friends DH last year. He loves chocolate, I found a tool box mold with tools also and covered the cake with them. His hobby is always fixing stuff. It was a lot of fun.

Good Luck.

daisyz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daisyz Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 7:40pm
post #5 of 12

Yeah, like some RI boards stacked on top of each other, a hammer, some nails....

jenbakescakes Posted 2 May 2007 , 9:01pm
post #6 of 12

Hey guys, thanks so much for the ideas! Sorry I haven't been able to respond before this, I was having computer issues, but I did read all the ideas and used many of them! I ended up using fondant for the tools and stuff since I have never used chocolate for that kind of thing. I am waiting for everything to dry now then I willm take a pic and post it. Thanks again!

jenbakescakes Posted 3 May 2007 , 1:46am
post #7 of 12

Ok the pic is up under my photos. It is labeled "Construction Cake". The cones are out of hershey's kisses and all the other pieces are fondant.

Juds2323 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juds2323 Posted 3 May 2007 , 4:58am
post #8 of 12

What is a hummingbird cake?

TIA

Judi

gateaux Posted 3 May 2007 , 1:27pm
post #9 of 12

Your cake turned out great. They should be impressed.

Good Luck

jenbakescakes Posted 3 May 2007 , 2:20pm
post #10 of 12

gateaux Thanks for the kind words! Oh and Juds2323, a hummingbird cake is awesome! There are several recipes on here for it but they all just use pineapple and banana, I use pineapple banana and coconut. It is a very dense cake but it is ssooooo good! I have to stop myself from "testing" all of the batter! If you would like my recipe let me know, I will post it. Thanks again everyone!

gateaux Posted 3 May 2007 , 3:28pm
post #11 of 12

If you can post the recipe that would be great. I like to make different cakes when we have friends over.

Thanks

Good Luck

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 3 May 2007 , 3:42pm
post #12 of 12

Your cake turned out so cute! I'm sure he will be VERY surprised-as he's probably only expecting a plain cake! Hummingbird cake is SOOOOO yummy!!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%