How Do You Move Large Layers?

Decorating By okred Updated 17 May 2006 , 5:56am by AmberCakes

okred Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
okred Posted 16 May 2006 , 6:47pm
post #1 of 10

I just finished my first wedding and groom's cakes and I am still amazed that the 14" bottom layer weighed so much. I made a very heavy pound cake with pudding and sour cream. The texture is very moist. After applying icing and fondant the 14" square layer must have weighed forty pounds!!!

How do the professional bakers do this?? How do they stack three or four layers and then transport them to the customer? Do they use special movers (like equipment companies?)

9 replies
Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 16 May 2006 , 6:54pm
post #2 of 10

I would transport each tier separately and assemble on-site if it is that heavy. WOW! It also helps to have a strong helper!

egarman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
egarman Posted 16 May 2006 , 6:58pm
post #3 of 10

I agree with Jenn; transport separate and assemble on-site. I just use either my DH or oldest DD to help with moving the really heavy layers!! When I transport I always put a layer of that rubber shelf liner down and then put the cakes on top (in the trunk or wherever). This keeps the boards from sliding around. Works great in oversized cake boxes as well and when you transport cupcakes in boxes too! Good Luck!

Ellen

ellyrae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellyrae Posted 16 May 2006 , 7:01pm
post #4 of 10

Yep, transport seperately and assemble on site.

I did a 3 tier yellow pound wedding cake with all royal icing flowers in a mound on each tier (blue & white in my gallery) to match the brides bouquet and the largest tier was SOOO heavy with all the royal icing flowers! Thank goodness I was using Wilton's floating cake stand so all I had to do was set the cakes in place, no assembly required!

mmdd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdd Posted 16 May 2006 , 7:04pm
post #5 of 10

You should always transport tiers seperately and assemble at the site. You'll probably have to finish with borders.

Just make sure you dowel well and make sure they know you're bringing the cake in, etc., etc.

I use the non-skid mats, too.

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 16 May 2006 , 7:09pm
post #6 of 10

This seems like common sense, but don't attempt a cake you aren't going to be able to transport.

At the very least make sure you have a reliable helper for those days.

Falenn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Falenn Posted 17 May 2006 , 1:22am
post #7 of 10

hi,
what is DH or DD?

thnx

ellyrae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellyrae Posted 17 May 2006 , 5:30am
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falenn

hi,
what is DH or DD?

thnx

DH=Dear Husband
DD=Dear Daughter

icon_wink.gifthumbs_up.gificon_lol.gif

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 17 May 2006 , 5:54am
post #9 of 10

I sometimes stack my cakes and deliver them that way. I have to have my husband help me and a rolling cart.

Transporting stacked cakes is risky but it can be done.

AmberCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmberCakes Posted 17 May 2006 , 5:56am
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falenn

hi,
what is DH or DD?

thnx

Hello. I thought you might want to check this thread out here on Cake Central. It will help with all the acronyms.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-2926.html

thumbs_up.gif ~Josie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%