I Need Advise On How To Say This

Decorating By joesmom583 Updated 16 May 2006 , 8:00pm by adven68

joesmom583 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joesmom583 Posted 16 May 2006 , 4:27pm
post #1 of 19

I'm making my first cake for a non family member this weekend. It's a co worker of my brother. I'm giving her a good deal (I think) but I need a way to say that normally I would charge more for the cake. I don't want to come across as rude but I don't want everyone at her party wanting the same cake for $30. So if someone could give me advise on what to say that would be great.

I'm attaching a photo of the cake which was made by Cheneya for opinions on actual price. I'm making it this weekend in a 8 inch double layer filled with WBH Oreo filling with a 6 inch double layer filled on top. That should feed 20 right? Thanks so much.

Michelle
LL

18 replies
bakers2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakers2 Posted 16 May 2006 , 4:35pm
post #2 of 19

can't really give you suggestions on the price - it differs so much by area - as for the billing question - when I first started out I would create an invoice - start with the original price (what I felt the cake was really worth) deduct a "Friends & Family Discount" and then the remaining balance was what I was charging for the cake.....hope this helps!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 16 May 2006 , 4:37pm
post #3 of 19

I would say at a bare minimum...............50 bucks and that's with a discount. That will MORE Than feed 20!! I'm so bad at this thing with people too, I know how you feel....I've given just about every cake I've ever made away!! LOL

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 16 May 2006 , 4:42pm
post #4 of 19

Bakers2 - Wow what a great suggestion! I am going to start doing this!!!!!

lynsval Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynsval Posted 16 May 2006 , 4:48pm
post #5 of 19

This may be really vague, but in the beginning I would "jokingly" icon_wink.gif tell friends, "I'll charge you $40, but if anyone asks -- tell them you paid $60." That way they would know that they were getting a deal and that ultimately I wanted to make money at this.

I really suck at pricing, but now I charge a minimum of $40 for a birthday cake no matter how small it is and I just go up from there.

Hope this helps. I know pricing is the area we all struggle with and we all need to be a bit more assertive in how we deal with people.

Valerie

gibson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gibson Posted 16 May 2006 , 7:03pm
post #6 of 19

HI

I can't help you with pricing but am wondering what is WBH oreo filling and could I possibly get the recipe?

TIA

Tammy

mmdd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdd Posted 16 May 2006 , 7:10pm
post #7 of 19

You could do an invoice and show that you discounted the price or you could tell the person paying for the cake to not quote the price and that it would normally be this much.

MsFarmFresh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsFarmFresh Posted 16 May 2006 , 7:15pm
post #8 of 19

Bakers2 - What a great idea! I too have been struggling with how to price and gauge price structure for Friends and Family but not undercut myself or my future work. I always to an invoice but now I will add the discount on there. Thanks icon_smile.gif

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 16 May 2006 , 7:17pm
post #9 of 19

I would charge at least $2.50 per serving for a fondant cake like this. (+ extra for the filling)

BTW...there won't be much of a ledge around the bottom tier like the picture with a 6" & 8."

izzybee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
izzybee Posted 16 May 2006 , 7:19pm
post #10 of 19

Just say that you are just starting your business, and that she is getting a discount, but that she not tell people what she paid for the cake (most people wouldn't ask her anyway). In exchange for the discount, you would appreciate it, if anyone asked, that she pass your name and number on to whomever would like it. That's what I did and she was more than happy to pass out my business cards at her party.

Monica0271 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monica0271 Posted 16 May 2006 , 7:20pm
post #11 of 19

I agree with Bakers2 idea showing a "Friends & Family Discount"

Oh & BTW I absoutly love your cake! You did a great job! thumbs_up.gif

May you get many orders from this cake! Good Luck!

ellyrae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellyrae Posted 16 May 2006 , 7:21pm
post #12 of 19

I start by saying "I charge $2 per serving for a basic cake (plain cake, icing filling, basic deco..i.e. flowers (simple) or confetti & streamers) and I go up from there. A cake like this to feed 20 would run $40. (I also tell them I charge $25-$30 delivery fee).

For friends & family I mostly do them for free or for the cost of ingredients but if they pay me, I take $10-$20 off this starting price (depending on the cake and who it is!!!). They all know my starting price so when they give out my name to someone, they are able to tell them up front what I charge and they know my work first hand!

(In the mean time, I turn down many "simple" cake jobs simply because for my time, they're not worth it!)

As for your $30 cake, first of all your brothers co-worker is getting an EXCELLENT deal. As to what to say, I would be open and honest and say your charging a special price because it's your brother's co-worker but normally you would charge..$---- amount. If they get to try your cake and LOVE IT and see the great work you do, they'll be willing to pay what you're worth!!!
Good luck to you!
elly

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 16 May 2006 , 7:22pm
post #13 of 19

I have just started making cakes for others, and offer a 10% discount on a first order only. Made up a basic cake charge for the different sizes, and charge for fillings, extra decorations, etc..... Was hard to come to prices, but folks are starting to ask and I want to be fair to everyone (actually remembering to charge everyone the same)

doitallmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doitallmom Posted 16 May 2006 , 7:30pm
post #14 of 19

I myself, do sewing,crafts, a little event plannig and of course cakes!! I always invoice and when giving disc., i 'm always sure to do a column w/regular price;one with disc. amount(20% or what have you);a column with the total after disc.. As with lots of others on CC, I charge by the serving for cake; start with a basic price and add on from there. HTH

smashcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smashcakes Posted 16 May 2006 , 7:43pm
post #15 of 19

i agree with the invoicing idea. i'm bad too, i quote a price not really knowing what design i'll do, then i go overboard and realize i should have charged much more, so the next time i know. for a cake that size, i charge about 30, but it's just plain buttercream with buttercream filling. i'm in the midwest, so our prices are cheap. i even called a custom cake bakery and their price for a sheet cake with a round on top to feed 75 was only $72.00, so that's what i'm competing with. i started early on keeping track of just how much frosting a particular cake took me to make, etc so that i could get a better idea of what to charge. it's hard the first few cakes, i think everyone undercharges at first. i never worked in a bakery or anything so ive had a tough time with the pricing thing

Dordee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dordee Posted 16 May 2006 , 7:43pm
post #16 of 19

I would love to know more about WBH oreo filling too? BTW beautiful cake!!!

tye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tye Posted 16 May 2006 , 7:44pm
post #17 of 19

i ALWAYS use the cake matrix.. even for sheet cakes, it breaks everything down for you and then you can discount on the labor cost and what not....

joesmom583 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joesmom583 Posted 16 May 2006 , 7:49pm
post #18 of 19

Wow I walked away from my computer and I came back to 14 responses. Thank you all for your responses.

For those who asked I will post the WBH oreo filling recipe later. I don't have the book in front of me.

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 16 May 2006 , 8:00pm
post #19 of 19

Joesmom...
I started about a year ago and with my brilliant hubby's business advice, I charged 1/2 of what the cakes were worth...but I let them know that I was doing that for the first year because I was just starting out....

well, the year passed and now, and through word of mouth only, I get these big orders every week or two.....full price. Nobody has ever complained. I now even charge separately for any fondant work I do, because I have all those cakes behind me to prove that I am worth it.

I think your cake is fantastic. Charge a bit less, but let them know that it's a temporary discount.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%