What Can U Get @ Sam's Club?

Decorating By mommabuda Updated 3 May 2007 , 4:18pm by Jopalis

mommabuda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommabuda Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 1:16pm
post #1 of 54

I know some people get icing there... I was wondering what else you can get through the bakery department. I planned to take a trip there in about a week and wanted to get some stuff if it would be worth it. Thanks!

53 replies
momof5kiki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momof5kiki Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 1:24pm
post #2 of 54

do you bake alot of cakes? I don't knwo how much you do. I was gong to buy icing there one time, but they told me it couldn't be frozed, and I was only making 5 cakes. I would have still had a TON left over.

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 2:21pm
post #3 of 54

BOXES- I can get a box of 50 for $30.00. That is corigated cardboard bottom and a seperate top with a window. Works out to be about 0.61 cents a box and I was paying almost $3.oo a box at Ac moore.

I also buy Powdered sugar there. 7 lbs for $4.00 and some change.

mommabuda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommabuda Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 3:15pm
post #4 of 54

yeah, I didn't plan to get the icing because i know i would never use it all... i already buy the powdered sugar from there... LOVE IT! that's a good idea about the cake boxes but i don't really use them all too much... hmmm... they don't have fondant or vanilla or anything do they?

2yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2yummy Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 3:40pm
post #5 of 54

I get my powdered sugar and butter there. I keep watching for crisco but my Sam's never has it. I am pretty sure they have the dark bakers vanilla, not sure about clear vanilla. I have never seen fondant there.

momof5kiki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momof5kiki Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 4:50pm
post #6 of 54

Sams club (at least ours) doesn't do fondant cakes, so I don't imagine they would carry it.

eieio1234 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eieio1234 Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 5:12pm
post #7 of 54

Ours unfortunately has barely anything. I can get crisco, sugars, flour and butter (and save quite a bit on those) but nothing else. They don't have boxes or parchment or clear vanilla, nothing like that.

kr1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kr1970 Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 5:24pm
post #8 of 54

what size boxes are thoes that you get from Sam's for that price?

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 5:25pm
post #9 of 54

I have never used Sam's club butter. Is it a good buy? Does it come in quarters? What is the brand name you CC'ers use?

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 5:25pm
post #10 of 54

What about Costco? That is the only thing that I have near me!

Is it really worth it to get the memebership and pay every month to save at these places??

CakesbyMonica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyMonica Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 5:32pm
post #11 of 54

You don't pay every month. Its once a year, about $50 and yes. It's a lot of good bargains.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 5:33pm
post #12 of 54

ohhh! i thought it was once a month...Thanks! Maybe I will go there!

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 5:49pm
post #13 of 54

from the bakery dept. you are able to purchase:
1/2 sheet boards, box bottoms, windowed box lids, plastic fluted combo packaging(like they put their cakes in for the display cakes)

12" cake boards, 13" plastic cake combos

full sheet cake boards, all-in-one cake boxes

cases of round layers and sheet cakes

vanilla and chocolate buttercream aka spread 'n' fill(no refrigeration required) dates vary but usually it's 4-5 months. This also applies to the small colored buttercream icings.

vanilla and chocolate bettercreme aka Rich's prewhipped (sold frozen from the freezer at the bakery) If kept frozen, it can be kept for quite a long time. They also sell the cases of bags of colors. It's one case of all one color...no swapping allowed.

quillon pan liners...great for EVERYTHING

gumpaste sprays, 4 pack....again, no swapping of colors.

blank sugar sheets for your edible image printer...sold in packs of 24..

They DON'T sell picks, rings, confetti, gel colorants, pop tops, edible images...

Please, be aware, that some things, may require advanced notice especially if they are low on certain items. Don't get bummed. Once they know that you will be getting these items from them, they will make sure to keep it on hand. It wouldn't hurt to let them know if you will be getting more from them...give 'em the "heads up".

HTH

p.s. I reserve the right to add other items as I remember them

caryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caryl Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 6:00pm
post #14 of 54

A while ago I called my Sam's bakery and made arrangements to stop in and check things out. They printed an inventory list from the computer of all the items they use, and said I could order ANYTHING that they use. This included the larger bottles of food color, all the picks and decorations, boxes, boards, tubs of filling & icing, etc. She told me when they do their ordering and when I needed to have my order to them, and also said that if they have enough of an item on hand- they'll sell directly from the bakery. In the store you can get bargins on powdered and reg sugar, flour, butter, whipping cream, nuts, chocolate, and choc chips, etc.

all4cake Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 6:20pm
post #15 of 54

Hmmm...

Looks like either I or them have the incorrect info. There is an item number for everything...for stuff that is able to be resold, there is a plu. a plu doesn't exist for the rings, poptops and some of the other stuff. I'll definitely be looking into that one.

caryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caryl Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 6:45pm
post #16 of 54

all4cakes-
The only thing she hesitated about were the big plastic character decoration plaques- and I said I wouldn't be ordering those anyway, so she dropped it. I haven't ordered the picks- don't usually use them- but she showed me bin after bin of the different items they had on hand and said they get new ones for the different holidays, etc.
The only things I have ordered so far are boxes, boards, and filling. But plan to start getting my colors through them.

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 6:47pm
post #17 of 54

The boxes I got at that price are for a 11X15.

tyty Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 6:51pm
post #18 of 54

I just called my local Sam's club for what they will sell. They didn' t have the prices, but will get back to me. It's not far from home maybe I will stop there after work to see what they have to offer.

juledcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juledcakes Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 9:41pm
post #19 of 54

you are corrct all4cake. sam' s does not and can not legally sell the cahracter poptops, picks, sprinkles or coloring. the poptop and picks are licensed just for sam's use, i work as the pirmary decorator at my sams, but otherwise everything else you listed is correct. any of the icing and any of the cake and the packing.

markbolin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
markbolin Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 9:46pm
post #20 of 54

you can also get cases of pre made 1/2 sheet cakes. 6 to a case for $17.00 the cake is pretty good. I give customers that option when they are wanting a cake on a budget and cant afford for me to custom bake.

christielee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christielee Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 10:14pm
post #21 of 54

I REALLY wish that I would have read this forum earlier today. I just got back from Sam's! Ugh! I had no idea the bakery would sell you all that! All I got was powdered sugar. icon_cry.gif

Christie

zubia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zubia Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 10:26pm
post #22 of 54

oh this is soooo intresting.I always see big buckets of icing in costco under the baked goods table but I thought its for their use not for sale.I love there butter cream ,may be Now I'll ask them .Thanks every one.

sunflowerfreak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunflowerfreak Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 10:31pm
post #23 of 54

Has anyone ever tried to purchase these items at a Costco? I would love to know. I have a Costco just a couple miles from me.

CreativeCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CreativeCakery Posted 1 May 2007 , 1:08am
post #24 of 54

DON'T buy the big bottle of Tone's vanilla! There was a big thread one time on here that talked about how nasty it was!

CreativeCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CreativeCakery Posted 1 May 2007 , 1:09am
post #25 of 54

Did you just go to the bakery in Sam's and say you were interested in ordering bakery supplies? I never knew you could order all those things!! how much I could have been saving all this time!

tyty Posted 1 May 2007 , 1:25am
post #26 of 54

I went to Sam's after work and they gave me prices for sheet boxes, plastic cake domes, boards, frosting and bettercream pre whipped.

kandio63 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandio63 Posted 1 May 2007 , 3:04am
post #27 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

Hmmm...

Looks like either I or them have the incorrect info. There is an item number for everything...for stuff that is able to be resold, there is a plu. a plu doesn't exist for the rings, poptops and some of the other stuff. I'll definitely be looking into that one.

You can buy cakes , the breads, muffins, just about anything we bake and sell you can buy by the case. We sell all the colors we use and the different icings.
and all4cakes is correct on the rings and poptops.

kandio63 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandio63 Posted 1 May 2007 , 3:08am
post #28 of 54

I do work for Sam's as a cake decorator. We order the boxes and such once a week and get them in the next. We order the food three times a week and receive three times a week. So go to you Sam's and place your order and they will tell you when to expect it in. My store doesn't keep a lot on hand because we are one of the small stores.

all4cake Posted 1 May 2007 , 3:24am
post #29 of 54

There's no working plu for the gel colorants or the confetti either.

There's no working plu for the seasonal fillings...like the 2lb sleeves of that raspberry and blueberry that were being used.

The regularly used fillings, like the cherry filling, there is a plu.

oh yeah, and the new bistro cake stuff...no working plu was found for that either.....item numbers for club use ordering but not for resale purposes.

For those who might be interested, quite a bit of stuff used at the cafes is also available for sale. 16" pizza boards, boxes, crusts, dough... but you gotta inquire about that stuff at the cafe...

Jopalis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jopalis Posted 1 May 2007 , 3:24am
post #30 of 54

tyty can you tell us those prices?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%