Hand Mixer Vs. Stand Mixer

Decorating By mamakau Updated 12 May 2006 , 2:04pm by Samsgranny

mamakau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamakau Posted 11 May 2006 , 11:49pm
post #1 of 22

Hi everyone,
Just wanted to take a quick poll. Which appliance do you guys use to make your frosting? What are the benefits of using a hand mixer over a stand mixer (for example, KitchenAid brand)? Thanks!

21 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 11 May 2006 , 11:50pm
post #2 of 22

<---sees NO benefit to hand over stand having burnt up several hand and now luvin' his KA stand.

DelightsByE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DelightsByE Posted 11 May 2006 , 11:53pm
post #3 of 22

My DH made me throw out my old beat up hand mixer when I got my KA 6 years ago, and I never looked back!

SugarCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarCreations Posted 11 May 2006 , 11:55pm
post #4 of 22

Since I got my KA my hand mixer just collects dust on the countertop now. Stand mixers are better by far and do not burn up as easy on heavy doughs and batters...

Regards Sugarcreations...

Bettycrockermommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettycrockermommy Posted 11 May 2006 , 11:55pm
post #5 of 22

When I got married two years ago, my MIL bought me a Sunbeam stand mixer. It is pretty similar to the KA. It works pretty well for me, but I still long for a KA. icon_sad.gif

kaecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaecakes Posted 12 May 2006 , 12:11am
post #6 of 22

I use the KA stand mixer, but a good KA hand mixer is theonly way to go if you are going to have a hand mixer. The good thing about a stand mixer is you can walk away to get something else if needed and still be mixing away.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 12 May 2006 , 12:16am
post #7 of 22

Since I got my KA, the only time I use my hand mixer is when I am making pastry cream over a water bath. Otherwise, it's KA all the way.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

YouTakeTheCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YouTakeTheCake Posted 12 May 2006 , 12:22am
post #8 of 22

I finally got my KA last september and it ROCKS. I love it!!!!!! I also have my mothers 1973 KA for when I am doing multipule jobs still works great!
Jackie

llee815 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llee815 Posted 12 May 2006 , 12:42am
post #9 of 22

I finally got my KA for Christmas. I LOVE IT! I sometimes wish I still had a hand mixer for some of my smaller cooking jobs though. Like when I need to mix something that's on the stove.

good36 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
good36 Posted 12 May 2006 , 1:00am
post #10 of 22

I always use my hand mixer if I am making one cake mix. I use my KA for frosting and extended cake mix's. I also beat my whipped potatoes with my hand mixer. I love them both. My hand mixer is a cruisinart (sp?). I love that little guy.
Judy

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 12 May 2006 , 1:09am
post #11 of 22

No question my KA stand mixer all the way. The only time the KA hand mixer gets used is for mashing potatos.

sweet_honesty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_honesty Posted 12 May 2006 , 1:09am
post #12 of 22

I usually use my hand mixer when I'm mixing small amounts of frosting or batter or for a dump and stir cake. If I have a large batch of frosting though or if I have to cream butter and sugar I use my stand mixer so I don't have to be standing there over the bowl.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 12 May 2006 , 1:42am
post #13 of 22

the only thing I use my hand mixer for is mashed potatoes-i just mix them in the same pot I cooked them in. I love the stand mixer, just put everything in, set the timer and I can be measuring/working/cleaning up something else while it is mixing.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 12 May 2006 , 3:48am
post #14 of 22

I have a really nice 7-speed Cuisinart hand mixer and I love it, especially for small jobs where I don't want to lug over one of the Kitchenaids (like making a quickie batch of whipped cream, for instance). I wouldn't want to not have a hand mixer in my kitchen since I do use it, but if you had to choose one over the other, of course a stand mixer is what you'd want.

mushbug9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mushbug9 Posted 12 May 2006 , 4:06am
post #15 of 22

I can't believe how I lucked out on this one. I have an old hand mixer but got a KA for Christmas last year. My mother then gave me her KA about 2 months ago becasue she never uses it, so that way I have 2, THEN, my husband's Grandmother actually left me HER KA and a freezer when she passed away this year. I had NO idea...so now I have 3.....THREE!!! I remember longing for my first one. Three...it still blows my mind.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 12 May 2006 , 4:09am
post #16 of 22

I LOVE my KA stand mixer, 6 qt...yeah! I've had it about two years or so now and don't know what I ever did without it!

However I have a trusty KA basic hand mixer as well, which works great to whip up a small batch of mashed potatoes if I don't want to get the huge 6 qt bowl dirty.... or for whipping up other small recipes... or like the whipped BC recipe on this site requires two things to be blended seperately then combined, so I run both at the same time for that. I always use my stand mixer, but I'd never throw out the hand mixer because I still do use it as well.

lainee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lainee Posted 12 May 2006 , 4:16am
post #17 of 22

My vote is for both. I love my KA stand, but for little jobs it's just too big. I have a hard time mixing small quantities in it. Also, if you need to mix something on top of the stove or while it's still in the pot, you definitely need something portable.

koolaidstains Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
koolaidstains Posted 12 May 2006 , 1:18pm
post #18 of 22

I have both. My hand mixer is a sunbeam mixmaster and it's 11 years old. It was what I registered for our wedding. It has the flat kind of beaters not the wire wisk kind. I can do two batches of buttercream using my hand mixer and it's still going strong. I use my hand mixer for cake batter and for smaller batches of icing (I don't usually do two batches with it) and my stand mixer for larger batches of icing. I use my hand mixer whenever I don't want to clean as much!

cakes47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes47 Posted 12 May 2006 , 1:28pm
post #19 of 22

I use both. My KA PRO 9 hand mixer for quick, small jobs and my KA Professional 600 for the larger jobs. Both are fantastic and I wouldn't be without either of them.

stephscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephscakes Posted 12 May 2006 , 1:41pm
post #20 of 22

I burned out many a hand mixer before I broke down and bought the stand mixer. I now have 3 KA 5 qt. mixers and 2 Hobart 20 qts. I rarely ever use a hand mixer anymore. Be aware that I also burned out a KA hand mixer making icing, so be careful about that. The only hand mixer that I haven't buurned up was my mother's and it is probably 40 + years old It still works! They don't make 'em like they used to!

MissJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissJ Posted 12 May 2006 , 1:57pm
post #21 of 22

I love this new found site (it hasn't failed me yet).

It is so amazing that this is a topic this morning. I made the no fail sugar cookies for the 1st time last night (without failing thumbs_up.gif ) and I burned my little Sunbeam mixer "UP". When I say "UP" I mean "UP". So, needless to say, I had to go ahead and pull out the GE standup mixer. I'm new to baking alltogether so I really had no idea.

Well, I guess it's kinda......

"LIKE MAMA USED TO SAY"

"YOU AIN'T COOKIN' TIL YOU BURN YOURSELF" icon_biggrin.gif

Well, burn baby burn......

HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND AN FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO ARE MOTHERS....

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY IN ADVANCE

Samsgranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Samsgranny Posted 12 May 2006 , 2:04pm
post #22 of 22

I use both the hand mixer and a 30 yr. old MixMaster that is on it's last legs. Just can't decide on the model and color of KA as I will probably be buried with it. Love the big boy for the larger jobs but couldn't do without my Cuisinart hand mixer either!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%