Question About Selling Your Sweets?

Business By manyacakes Updated 11 May 2006 , 10:31pm by TastersDelight

manyacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manyacakes Posted 11 May 2006 , 8:24pm
post #1 of 3

i am so happt that i have found this site. i don't know if someone has asked this before or not. forgive me if so.

i have been making cakes and cookies for family and friends for various events for a while now. i am starting to have people contact me who have attended something where they've tasted my things with orders.

for those of you who bake and sell from your home have you obtained a license and if not are you worried if anything happens? i've never been concerned about this before but one of the things that i made had nuts in it and the person who contacted me would like it w/o nuts. that started me thinking about doing this for money. maybe i'm too concered any thoughts would be much appreciated.


2 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 11 May 2006 , 10:21pm
post #2 of 3

Most states require licensing for selling home made goods. Baking is often regulated by the Department of Agriculture, and other foods are regulated by local health deparments.

If you make assurances to someone with allergies, of "no nuts" you will have potential liability. You do not have insurance that would cover this risk.

TastersDelight Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TastersDelight Posted 11 May 2006 , 10:31pm
post #3 of 3

I live in Virginia and I am certified by the Dept of Ag. I wouldn't dream of selling without the proper paperwork.

Which something I'm curious about is, I see alot of Copyrighted characters/themes posted, I know you have to get some type of permission to sell them. I'd like to know how to get permission.

As far as nuts, if they have an allergy, I would be very cautious. Just because you don't put nuts in it, doesn't mean it didn't come in contact with nut residue.


Quote by @%username% on %date%