Smooth Frosting How To????

Decorating By jessireb Updated 12 May 2006 , 2:29am by i_love_icing

jessireb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessireb Posted 11 May 2006 , 6:59pm
post #1 of 15

Is there a trick to getting your frosting smooth?

14 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 11 May 2006 , 7:10pm
post #2 of 15

On the home page are links to information about the VISA paper towel method.

jessireb Posted 11 May 2006 , 7:12pm
post #3 of 15

I haven't tried that yet and might attempt it tonight. This might sound dumb, but does it have to be VIVA or can it be any type of paper towel?

Kimanalynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimanalynn Posted 11 May 2006 , 7:16pm
post #4 of 15

Viva papertowels are smooth, they don't have an imprint. Any other papertowel that is smooth will work as well

snicker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snicker Posted 11 May 2006 , 7:21pm
post #5 of 15

Just a question. i use the viva method, but i dont like it. I feel like it gives the cake a 'matte' look. It looks kind of dry. Does that make sense?? I see so many cakes that have a shiny clean look, with a super crisp edge. HOW DO THEY DO THAT???

Anybody good at it???

Nicole

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 11 May 2006 , 7:33pm
post #6 of 15

Those blue shop towels that you buy at an auto-parts store work good too.
You could probably mist some simple sugar mixture on the frosting when you are done.

jessireb Posted 11 May 2006 , 7:38pm
post #7 of 15

I kind of like the matted finish look so that wouldn't bother me.

koolaidstains Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
koolaidstains Posted 11 May 2006 , 7:45pm
post #8 of 15

I keep reading that people use the Viva towel because it has no texture to it, but my wilton instructor told us to use it because it's lint free. In other words it won't put little paper towel lint bits in your frosting. Either way, the Viva towels do work. I like using the viva towels when I don't have a border on top edge, but otherwise I prefer using parchment paper. I use the precut triangles because they go around the sides of the cake better (a round cake that is).

safetymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
safetymom Posted 11 May 2006 , 7:59pm
post #9 of 15

I've tried copy paper. It is a touch smoother than Viva towels, but not necessarily shiney. I think they shiney icing may be the Italian meringue. Not really sure if I know what I am talking about here since I have never made it. Maybe someone else can help better.

safetymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
safetymom Posted 11 May 2006 , 8:00pm
post #10 of 15

I've tried copy paper. It is a touch smoother than Viva towels, but not necessarily shiney. I think they shiney icing may be the Italian meringue. Not really sure if I know what I am talking about here since I have never made it. Maybe someone else can help better.

BJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BJ Posted 11 May 2006 , 8:03pm
post #11 of 15

I use parchment paper - very smooth finish - a little pricier than the papertowels but I like the smooth effect better than mat. My personal preference icon_rolleyes.gif

trombonekaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trombonekaren Posted 12 May 2006 , 2:10am
post #12 of 15

I get it as smooth as I can, then let it set up for a few minutes, and take a large cake trowel (I found it at a cake store, but it is really the same as a large putty knife from the hardware store) and run it under hot water. I leave it damp and smooth the cake using a turntable. If needed, I get it wet again to complete the whole cake. I really like this method. The icing then re-sets and has a very smooth, clean finish. For a shiny finish, I think that depends on the frosting recipe.

pancake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pancake Posted 12 May 2006 , 2:19am
post #13 of 15

I use the same method as Trombonekaren just mentioned.....for some reason, people always mention that my icing is really shiny and I think it's because I use a 50/50 crisco/butter recipe.

golfgirl1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
golfgirl1227 Posted 12 May 2006 , 2:20am
post #14 of 15

I think you only get the shine with the meringue BCs. I'm pretty sure a crusting BC won't shine!

i_love_icing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
i_love_icing Posted 12 May 2006 , 2:29am
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by snicker

Just a question. i use the viva method, but i dont like it. I feel like it gives the cake a 'matte' look. It looks kind of dry. Does that make sense?? I see so many cakes that have a shiny clean look, with a super crisp edge. HOW DO THEY DO THAT???

Like golfgirl said, those are probably meringue BCs that you're seeing so shiny. I've made them before and I think they are much more moldable, and have fewer air bubbles. But they are so darn fragile, melt so easily.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%