Help Me Please!!!

Decorating By momof5kiki Updated 29 Apr 2007 , 8:42pm by miriel

momof5kiki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momof5kiki Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 3:10pm
post #1 of 13

icon_surprised.gif OK, so my first attempt at making fondant did not go well. i did the MMF that was powered sugar, marsmellows, and a little water, It was wayyyyyy to dry. I guess my next attempt will be to do it with crisco? Should that work? I really want to try this today, my cake blunders are getting costly, and I REALLY want to make my DD's cakes in may.

12 replies
projectqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
projectqueen Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 3:40pm
post #2 of 13

The way I make MMF is to start with 1 cup of mini marshmallows mixed with 1 Tablespoon of water and melted in the microwave. I pour that into my KA with the dough hook and add powdered sugar a little at a time until it's the consistency I need. I never measure the ps, just add a little at a time and it never gets too dry.

Otherwise, you could try one of the premade fondants, like Satin Ice. I heard that one tastes really good and then you would know it's the correct consistency.

Good luck.

momof5kiki Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 3:47pm
post #3 of 13

Thanks. I don't want to try the premade, as I want to be able to do my own. I am not so concerned about the decorating aspect as I am about making it. I want to be able to make MMF. I think my best bet is to do what you said add a littlle sugar at a time. That could be where I went wrong. Thanks you.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

NewbeeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewbeeBaker Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 3:55pm
post #4 of 13

Definately add a little p.sugar at a time as the pp said. Most CC'ers say they do not use all the p.sugar the recipe calls for(the recipe you posted is the one I use too), and I don't use all the p.sugar it calls for either=) I like to substitute some of the water with flavorings/extracts to make it really yummy! Crisco does help a lot, but I don't "add" it in. What I do is put crisco on my workspace and on my hands when kneading, so some of it gets worked in that way=) GL it is fun stuff to work with and with extracts it is yummy!! Jen

StaceyC3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StaceyC3 Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 4:05pm
post #5 of 13

I'm the same as Jen, above. I never can get all the sugar mixed in with my mixer, so I dump it on my greased countertop and knead the rest in by hand. And I grease, grease, grease my hands and counter with LOTS of crisco. As a matter of fact, I may be a little TOO liberal with it! My last batch of fondant was shiny! icon_surprised.gif

Joolz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joolz Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 4:06pm
post #6 of 13

MMF was really dry the first time I made it but I put a little crisco on my latex gloves and started kneading it and it softened right up. Also when I first started rolling it, it was hard but then it softened up after a few good pushes. Good luck! Hopefully you didn't throw out the first batch icon_smile.gif

MikkelPaige Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikkelPaige Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 4:09pm
post #7 of 13

I completely agree with momof5kiki!

I use that recipe as well - I've made it 3 times now - and it's not right every time I make it. It ends up taking me 2 HOURS to get it the right consistancy. I make it with my hands - I tried using my mixer last night and it just wasn't working. (I can't afford a KA yet!) So I'll work on it tonight.

When I DO get it right it come out nicely (see photo) and I like thinking I made the entire cake myself, so I know how you feel, but I have already looked into buying some Satin Ice because the MMF is just so time consuming for me - but it is nice to have both options. I just look at it as the necessary supplies I need to build and decorate my cakes, just like a computer technician needs the necessary parts to build computers!
LL

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 4:17pm
post #8 of 13

MMF isn't time consuming at all for me. The problem is the recipe calls for tooo much powedered sugar. I make mine by hand also, that way I can "feel" when it is done. I usually use about 3/4 of the powdered sugar called for in the recipe. I rarely have to microwave it to soften it. I always tell my students to buy some ready made fondant and work with it first so they can FEEL what the MMF is supposed to be like when they make it.

momof5kiki Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 4:25pm
post #9 of 13

well see, I am lucky that I am up there with supplies. I just upgraded in the fall form a classic stand KA, to a pro 5 plus. I am not an mixing by hand kind of person LOL. I did watch that show on the food network last night though about cake decorating, and I got some serious insight on fondant consistancy that is for sure icon_smile.gif

I am sooo glad that I didn't throw the first batch of fondant out (someone last week suggested that I throw it away there was no help fixing it) but I didn't and I aded a little crisco, and bow did that make a difference! Who would have thought just a little crisco could make my fondant seem perfect, thank you all so much!

Joolz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joolz Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 4:31pm
post #10 of 13

Yeah!!! Crisco is my friendicon_smile.gif Glad to hear you didn't throw it out and you were able to get it to work for you. Take Care!

darkchocolate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darkchocolate Posted 29 Apr 2007 , 8:25pm
post #11 of 13

I make the Easy MMF with Marshamallow Creme but I get inconsistent results also. I made a beehive cake and I am proud of that. My carousel cake didn't turn out like I had hoped. The Beehive was my experiment, so basically I am very inexperienced. After the carousel cake was finished and I posted here, I found out that I didn't have enough powdered sugar for the carousel cake and that is why it was so soft and tacky. You can see the difference in the pictures. Yesterday I was ready to give up MMF but today is a new day and I am ready to experiment again, but not on a cake for someone else.

darkchocolate
LL
LL

mkmetz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkmetz Posted 29 Apr 2007 , 8:33pm
post #12 of 13

When I'm working with fondant, I usually put cornstarch or powdered sugar down on my counter to roll it out. However, then I can't get the powdered sugar out and it makes my fondant, especially the colored fondant look all powdery and not smooth. Do I need the powdered sugar? If I don't use it, the fondant sticks to the counter. Any suggestions?

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 29 Apr 2007 , 8:42pm
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkmetz

When I'm working with fondant, I usually put cornstarch or powdered sugar down on my counter to roll it out. However, then I can't get the powdered sugar out and it makes my fondant, especially the colored fondant look all powdery and not smooth. Do I need the powdered sugar? If I don't use it, the fondant sticks to the counter. Any suggestions?

I use cornstarch when working with fondant. I used to sprinkle it on table using a sugar shaker with mesh but have switched to using a diaper liner pouch sealed with rubber band (just tap the pouch on the table/fondant). Make sure you are only using small amounts so you don't have cornstarch lumps on the fondant that cannot be brushed away.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%