Which Do You Prefer For Cookies Boquets?

Baking By patton78 Updated 13 May 2006 , 7:15pm by VickiG

patton78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patton78 Posted 10 May 2006 , 6:08pm
post #1 of 26

Do you prefer to put the stick in the cookie before baking or adhering the stick to the back of the cookie after baking and why?

25 replies
fat-sissy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fat-sissy Posted 10 May 2006 , 8:24pm
post #2 of 26

I've only done 1 bouquet and I put them in immediately after removing from oven. This worked well for me. It just seems like it would be harder to push them in before baking.

VickiG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VickiG Posted 10 May 2006 , 8:34pm
post #3 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat-sissy

I've only done 1 bouquet and I put them in immediately after removing from oven. This worked well for me. It just seems like it would be harder to push them in before baking.

I'm going to try my first this weekend for Mother's day. Glad I read this, I'd planned on putting in before baking. Hadn't even thought of after. So I can try both methods ! Thanks. Your bouquet is lovely !

fat-sissy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fat-sissy Posted 10 May 2006 , 8:53pm
post #4 of 26
Quote:
Quote:

I'm going to try my first this weekend for Mother's day. Glad I read this, I'd planned on putting in before baking. Hadn't even thought of after. So I can try both methods ! Thanks. Your bouquet is lovely !

I bought cookie sticks, but they weren't very easy to insert. I ended up using bamboo skewers insead and they worked really well.

newcakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newcakelady Posted 10 May 2006 , 9:01pm
post #5 of 26

I just did my first bouquets today. I also thought the lolipop sticks were too thick and ended up using the skewers. I baked mine with the sticks in, I am too chicken to try it after!!

slejdick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slejdick Posted 10 May 2006 , 10:40pm
post #6 of 26

I put my sticks in before I bake the cookies. That way when they come out of the oven, I can just let them cool on the parchment (on a cooling rack) and don't have to mess with them. I can take my time doing it before, but when inserting them after baking, I would think you'd have to work very quickly to get a sheet of them done before they cool too much and start cracking.

I also like the way the cookie bonds with the stick during baking and cooling, and I'm not sure it'd do that if I put the sticks in after. I feel like they're attached more securely by baking them in.

Some people attach the sticks to the backs of the cookies, but I don't like the idea of a big glob of royal icing or candy melts on the back of the cookie, from attaching the stick.

With my luck, I'd be busy getting the next sheet ready to go in the oven and totally forget to put the sticks in, LOL!

Laura.

The_Parsons_Wife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Parsons_Wife Posted 10 May 2006 , 10:53pm
post #7 of 26

Whenever I go to Starbucks I ask for a handful of their wooden stir sticks, they are thin and perfect for inserting into unbaked cookies. I usually soak the skewers in water first, it keeps the exposed area from browning to much and the wood adheres wonderfully to the inside of the baking cookie. Blessings, Shawn <><

meghanb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meghanb Posted 11 May 2006 , 1:31pm
post #8 of 26

I just made my first batch of cookies for a cookie bouquet last night, and even though my cookies were very thick, they still were not thick enough for the Wilton cookie sticks. I think I will have to attach them with royal this time, and maybe next time I will look for the bamboo skewers!

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 11 May 2006 , 2:29pm
post #9 of 26

I used the Wilton sticks and I had plenty of room. I did make cookies that were almost 1/2" thick though!! I don't think skewers would hold up to the size of the cookies I made. My two cents....I put the sticks in before baking because I too would probably forget to put the sticks in after!! I twist my sticks while inserting them into the cookie and shove them in as far as they will go and haven't had one fall off yet.

Michelle

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 11 May 2006 , 3:30pm
post #10 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by patton78

Do you prefer to put the stick in the cookie before baking or adhering the stick to the back of the cookie after baking and why?

I prefer to bake my sticks in the cookies.

1. I don't have to worry about burning my hands fussing with hot cookies.
2. I don't have to mess with them breaking of cracking trying to insert the stick.
3. No worrying about if the royal/chocolate will keep them attached.
4. I don't like the way it looks when the stick is glued on to the back of the cookie. It looks less professional.

mjones17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjones17 Posted 11 May 2006 , 3:37pm
post #11 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by meghanb

I just made my first batch of cookies for a cookie bouquet last night, and even though my cookies were very thick, they still were not thick enough for the Wilton cookie sticks. I think I will have to attach them with royal this time, and maybe next time I will look for the bamboo skewers!

FYI everyone I just picked up 150 skewers at the dollar tree for a dollar (duh me).............lol.

mis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mis Posted 11 May 2006 , 6:01pm
post #12 of 26

Hi everyone, this is my first time posting here. I am trying my hand at decorating cookies too. I made some cookies last week and tried to stick the sticks in before baking and I had trouble with them. I left some without the stick to bake and put them in right after baking and that worked better for me. But, like I said I am just starting to figure this stuff out.

I also bought the skewers at the dollar store for a buck. icon_razz.gif I used them instead of the cookie sticks. But I tried the chocolate rolled cookie recipe and the cookies didn't taste very good. Not sure what I did wrong. icon_rolleyes.gif So the cookies got thrown away.

qtkaylassweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
qtkaylassweets Posted 11 May 2006 , 6:09pm
post #13 of 26

I ALWAYS put the sticks in the cookies before baking them!!! After I cut out the cookie with the cutter, I put them in the fridge, then take them out and put the sticks in. With them being chilled, it makes it easier to shove the sticks in and the cookies hold their shape.
They turn out perfect every time!!

meghanb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meghanb Posted 11 May 2006 , 6:14pm
post #14 of 26

Oh dear...now I am worried about my bouquets! Good thing they are just for my mom and mother in law....they won't be bothered by the royal icing on the back.

On that note...how will I attach them using royal? Just a line of icin down the back and stick the cookie stick in it and let it set?

patton78 Posted 11 May 2006 , 6:18pm
post #15 of 26

That is the way I would do it if I was attaching with royal icing. I am making my cookies this afternoon so I guess I will try putting the sticks in before I bake them! Thanks for everyones input, I will let you know how they turn out. All I have are the lollipop sticks so I am going to have to give it a try with them!

newcakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newcakelady Posted 11 May 2006 , 11:01pm
post #16 of 26

I followed CP's instructions that she posted about putting the sticks in before and then fixing any "poke throughs" with a glob of dough. It worked great!! Thanks Cake Princess!!

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 11 May 2006 , 11:09pm
post #17 of 26

When I make cookie bouquets, I put a flattened piece of cookie dough on parchment papered cookie sheet. I lay my cookie stick (or popsicle stick) on that and then put my cut-out cookie on top--lightly pressing it down. Let it bake. When it comes out, if it has some rise to it or bubbles--I lightly press with a clean towel. Cookies stay put on stick.

If I get the bottom dough too thin and the stick shows, I just spread a thin coat of RI over that. No Prob!!!

aliciaL_77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciaL_77 Posted 12 May 2006 , 2:20am
post #18 of 26

definitely before.. mac I will have to try that way next time icon_smile.gif

Samsgranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Samsgranny Posted 12 May 2006 , 2:25pm
post #19 of 26

I made the no-fail cookie recipe for the first time last night and tried: Wilton's sticks, the skewers and Starbucks stirring sticks and have to say Starbucks was the winner. It is thinner than a regular popscicle stick, looks nicer than a skewer. You need to make a very thick cookie (1/2 in. at least) to use Wilton's sticks. Now finding plastic bags wide enough to hold the cookie is a whole other challenge!

Ladivacrj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladivacrj Posted 12 May 2006 , 2:35pm
post #20 of 26

I just decorated for some bouquets for Mother's Day, I always bake with the sticks in. The only thing that happens on occassion is that the cookie will start to spin on the stick. In that case I just squirt some royal into the hole and push the stick back and let it dry. It stops the spinning and is still editable.

But what I would really like to see is the white candy sticks in a flat version, so the spinning thing would not happen.

Darra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darra Posted 12 May 2006 , 2:41pm
post #21 of 26

i've always stuck up my cookies before baking, then reinforce with royal icing once cooled. so far so good icon_smile.gif

mjones17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjones17 Posted 12 May 2006 , 2:58pm
post #22 of 26

My dumb butt looked at the pics that were posted on how to do it but didn't read it so i just pushed the skewers down and put a piece of dough over the back of each one.........lol.

4Gifts4Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4Gifts4Lisa Posted 12 May 2006 , 5:01pm
post #23 of 26

I tried it both ways. When I inserted after baking, the stick fell out every time.

kay52178 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kay52178 Posted 12 May 2006 , 7:42pm
post #24 of 26

I've made cookie bouquets twice so far. Both times I've used the Wilton Cookie sticks and put them in before baking. I make my cookies between 1/4 and 1/2 inch think. With my mother's day cookies I only had 1 out of 100 break.

patton78 Posted 13 May 2006 , 1:51am
post #25 of 26

Okay, so I finished my cookie bouquets today! I have to say that the lollipop sticks are way too big to stick into the cookie before baking unless the cookies are really thick. Thankfully I found some skewers in the cupboard and used those, they worked great! I just pushed them in before baking and the cookies came out great. I only had one that I had to fix with royal icing. I think my cookies came out great, the best I have made so far. I just wish I could have gotten better pictures of them. I was in a hurry so I was not able to really capture all my work. Really enjoyed making these, can't wait to make more! Thank you all for your great tips!

VickiG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VickiG Posted 13 May 2006 , 7:15pm
post #26 of 26

I've just finished with my first attempt... exhausted... don't know how you guys do it !!! I'm not the least bit satisfied with the results, but I hope once it's put together my MIL will like it.

Anyway... I planned on trying both ways, before and after, but before was so easy (using the wooden skewers) that I only tried that method. I had read the tutorial that Cake Princess posted and that worked perfectly for me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%