Whipped Topping On A Wedding Cake

Decorating By Bettycrockermommy Updated 10 May 2006 , 12:45am by CakemanOH

Bettycrockermommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettycrockermommy Posted 9 May 2006 , 10:29pm
post #1 of 7

Okay, I am officially freaking out now!! I have a wedding cake to make for May 20. The bride wants the main cake to be stacked, 6", 8", and 12". She wants the cakes to be iced with a whipped topping. What I got is called Whip 'n Top. I didn't really think that it would be a problem, but today I read a thread here that said that you can't stack cakes covered like this. icon_sad.gificon_cry.gif I am dreading having to call the bride, a good friend of mine, to tell her that I may not be able to do her cake the way she wants it to be. I was thinking about using the hidden pillars and plates, so that if they can't be stacked, at least it would be close. Also, the cakes are covered with little swirlys that wilton calls sotas, and i am afraid that stacking it will only squish them.

This is the cake that she was inspired by, but didn't want the expensive of the garden stand and satellite rentals, that totaled like $85, not including the deposits.

Any thoughts on this??
LL

6 replies
pastrymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrymama Posted 9 May 2006 , 11:29pm
post #2 of 7

I have made many cakes using Pastry Pride which is probably similar to what you want to use for the icing. I have never had any problem stacking. I just use large straws or dowels and cut them just above the icing so the tiers don't sink into the icing. To do the Sotas if you whip the topping slowly it will whip up not so fluffy, if that makes sense, so you won't have so much air in it when you pipe it.

Bettycrockermommy Posted 9 May 2006 , 11:38pm
post #3 of 7

Pastrymama,
If the dowels are above the level of the icing, how stable was it?
Did you transport it together using a center dowel, or did you assemble it at the site?
This is my 5th wedding cake, but the first one with whipped topping, so i am in panic mode at the moment. Afraid I got in over my head.

KayDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayDay Posted 9 May 2006 , 11:40pm
post #4 of 7

First of all...BREATHE!...you have done wedding cakes before so you will do fine. Maybe do a scaled down test version of the cake? To try out your options?

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 9 May 2006 , 11:44pm
post #5 of 7

I too use Pastry Pride or Frosting Pride for this. It works great.

Bettycrockermommy Posted 9 May 2006 , 11:51pm
post #6 of 7

KayDay,

My husband tells me the same thing all the time. Tells me that I am the worst critic of my own work because I am a perfectionist. icon_wink.gif

CakemanOH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakemanOH Posted 10 May 2006 , 12:45am
post #7 of 7

Whip and Top is a light version that usually needs to be kept refridgerated. The makers of whip and top also make Whip and Ice which is what I use. It can be left out for 5 to 7 days and will withstand heat upto 105 degrees. You can decorate and make roses with it if you wish. I am doing a wedding cake for June 10th with the stuff. Goto you local supplier of the stuff and ask for Whip and Ice. It is by far the best tasting product out of all of them out there.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%