Exploding Cake!

Decorating By ramona1992 Updated 11 May 2006 , 11:34pm by grama_j

ramona1992 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ramona1992 Posted 9 May 2006 , 2:50pm
post #1 of 4

I made a devil's food cake from scratch this morning. When I looked in on the cake it looked as if one side had exploded. That part was still moist, not like the rest of the top of the cake (very smooth, firm). When I turned the cake out of the pan it was like that all the way through that part of the cake and stuck to the pan there (I used Wilton's release stuff for the first time).

This was also my first time using this particular recipe.

Does anyone know offhand what could have happened? Or how to avoid this? The recipe did say to use the strips to prevent doming, if desired. Could the cake have domed too much and exploded a bit?

(I'm brand new to the forums, please forgive me if this question has been answered elsewhere.) icon_smile.gif

3 replies
lilie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilie Posted 9 May 2006 , 4:51pm
post #2 of 4

What was you levening?
Sounds like it go balled up into one spot and not evenly distributed.
Sorry to hear that it exploded. I have had disasters too and I think I've cried over each one.
Hope that your next chocolate cake will be better!!!!!!

cindy6250 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy6250 Posted 9 May 2006 , 4:59pm
post #3 of 4

ramona1992,

Welcome to Cake Central. I can't offer any advice on what happened to your cake, but hopefully someone else will be able to offer some help.

Cindy

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 11 May 2006 , 11:34pm
post #4 of 4

You might want to have your oven checked too.... if it was only one side, it could be a hot or cold spot........ Just a thought

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%