Best Way To Make Gerber Daisies??

Decorating By 29apr00 Updated 16 Jul 2007 , 6:48pm by Gefion

29apr00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
29apr00 Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 12:37pm
post #1 of 21

My sister is getting married in July and wants me to make her cake!! icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif She's putting some faith in me!!

Luckily it's a 2nd wedding so very small, less than 50 people probably so i'm not to worried about making the cake, but she does want Gerber Daisies on the cake. I haven't made those yet. icon_lol.gif

So what is the easiest way? Do i use Royal Icing, or fondant or gumpaste? Is there a cutter or something that can be used??

Thanks!

20 replies
TxAgGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TxAgGirl Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 1:59pm
post #2 of 21

I'd love to hear some hints on this myself, because I'm doing my first wedding cake in August, and they want gerber daisies.

The Wilton Gumpaste Flowers book has daisies, but not gerber daisies, so I'm not sure yet how I'm going to get that.

angelas2babies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelas2babies Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 2:13pm
post #3 of 21

Definitely use gumpaste! You can do them ahead of time and they will come out perfect with cutters. Royal icing may be cheaper, but it will take so much longer and they won't dry as hard.

Angie

PaulaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PaulaT Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 2:19pm
post #4 of 21

Wow - what a coincidence. I just attempted them last night. I used the Wilton Daisy cutters but must admit wish I had metal cutters so there are no frayed edges. Anyway. I had a silk Gerbera handy that I studied carefully for the concept. Used gumpaste and started with the large cutter - made 2 large sets of petals and 1 medium set petal. If you have a model to look at it helps as you want the "creases" in the petals to be similar. I used the pointed end of the ball tool to make the creases and made the petals quite thin. I placed each set of petals (total of 3) on top of each other and used the gumpaste glue to attach each. Also set each set of petals offset from the one underneath. For the center I used 2 colors of gumpaste and made little holes in each with a toothpick for the realistic look of the Gerbera. When it dries I'll post a pic. Was pleased with the result but still could use a bit more practice. The Gerbera's can be made with just about any color imaginable - they are such pretty flowers. Good luck.

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 2:27pm
post #5 of 21

PaulaT, I can't wait to see those flowers. I think they are so pretty.

carrielynnfields Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carrielynnfields Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 2:29pm
post #6 of 21

Isn't that crazy, My first wedding cake that I am doing is Gerbera's too. I am using fresh flowers but I would LOVE to know how to make them too. So glad this came up!

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 2:30pm
post #7 of 21

Use the large daisy cutter for Gerber daisies and allow them the dry flat. Also use really bright colors for them. I would make sure that the yellow center is more of chartreuse kind of color.

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 2:30pm
post #8 of 21

deleated repeat

29apr00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
29apr00 Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 2:36pm
post #9 of 21

Paula - great!! I can't wait to see your flowers! Which cutter were you using? I see quite a few different daisy cutters. I see some Comfort Grip and Copper Cookie Cutters, but those don't see to give the longer/lots of petals. I see a new Fondant cutter, made of plastic, that looks like it would be perfect for gerber daisy's. is that the one you were using??

littlewoman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlewoman Posted 2 May 2007 , 5:44pm
post #10 of 21

Here is my first attempt at gerber daisies. I bought the cutters from PME Sugar craft. I formed them by putting the big ones in a the lid of a slushy cup. The little ones I did in a muffin tin. I made the center using the end of a big cake tip and pressed window screening into it to give the texture.
And then I added a few drops of piping gel to make them look dewy.

tyty Posted 2 May 2007 , 5:49pm
post #11 of 21

They came out great! Where did you get the large daisy cutter?

srodge1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srodge1 Posted 2 May 2007 , 5:54pm
post #12 of 21

Very pretty littlewoman! Would never know it was your first attempt!!

So . . . satin ice would not be good for making gerber daisies? I have only used gum paste once and it never dried!! Don't know what I did wrong. Now all I use for everything on my cakes is satin ice. It dries VERY hard and is very workable (for me).

What is the advantage of using gum paste over satin ice?

littlewoman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlewoman Posted 2 May 2007 , 5:56pm
post #13 of 21

I did mine several weeks in advance with the fondant and let them air dry.
Each daisy has two layers. The cutters were expensive but I found them well worth it.

tyty Posted 2 May 2007 , 5:58pm
post #14 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlewoman

I did mine several weeks in advance with the fondant and let them air dry.
Each daisy has two layers. The cutters were expensive but I found them well worth it.

where did you get the cutter?

sweet_as_tisse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_as_tisse Posted 2 May 2007 , 9:12pm
post #15 of 21

Hi guys

here is a great link to making some gerbera daisies.....

http://www.gefjonsdottir.com/gerberatut.html

HTH

cheers

kylie

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 2 May 2007 , 9:19pm
post #16 of 21

Great thread -- thanks for posting! icon_biggrin.gif

randipanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
randipanda Posted 2 May 2007 , 9:24pm
post #17 of 21

I tried to make some as well. I didn't have a real daisy with me, so I looked for pictures on the internet and it was interesting how different they all looked. I found someone who makes cakes and makes and sells gumpaste flowers who had a beautiful gerber daisy cake. http://www.dianescakesandmore.com/weddingcakedecorations/gerber_daisy.htm

I tried to makes some as well for the last cake i made. I'll try to post it (I'm still new, so we'll see if I can figure it out icon_smile.gif )

I used the large daisy cut-out from wilton for the main petals and the smaller one for the inner petals and then a green center dipped in gum glue and then cornmeal. That was flattened and I put a bit of brown in the very middle.

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 3 May 2007 , 1:42am
post #18 of 21

Thanks Kylie! Great tutorial!

beemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beemarie Posted 3 May 2007 , 3:57am
post #19 of 21

I have a question regarding the Wilton Gerbera daisy cut out. I tried using this last night, not with fondant but with chocolate clay. It was impossible to get it out without it being ruined. Is it easier to get fondant or gumpaste out of the cut outs that have such a narrow space?

Also, while I am asking (learning a lot here!) what is the favorite medium used to form flowers and other objects? Thanks!

srodge1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srodge1 Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 6:01pm
post #20 of 21

Bump! Great question beemarie! I would also be interested in what the best medium for flowers would be.

Gefion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gefion Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 6:48pm
post #21 of 21

I have never used wilton cutters, but the FMM cutters are a pain in the you know what too. I usually poke the petals out one by one with a celstick or something similar.

Now I just use the darned plunge cutter like on the tutorial. Thanks for linking to it btw icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%