How In The World, Pink Bow With Green Edges

Decorating By CreativeCakery Updated 7 May 2006 , 1:17am by dianagreen

CreativeCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CreativeCakery Posted 6 May 2006 , 3:47pm
post #1 of 14

do I make this? I have a "pain" customer who's already dickered me out of my delivery fee. She wants a cake that looks like a present witha big fondant bow. No problem. BUT!! She wants the bow to be "pink with green edges". How in the world do I do this? I dont think painting on the green will help since the base will be pink fondant. Please help. Thanks in advance!! icon_sad.gif

13 replies
projectqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
projectqueen Posted 6 May 2006 , 3:52pm
post #2 of 14

Could you leave the fondant white and then paint on both the pink AND the green?

Rodneyck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rodneyck Posted 6 May 2006 , 3:54pm
post #3 of 14

I hate cheap customers, lol. I would suggest getting out the paint brush and painting on the edges with green food coloring gel. You can water it down if need be with vodka, extracts or cake whitening you can buy at cake stores.

That would be the easiest.

lsawyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsawyer Posted 6 May 2006 , 4:09pm
post #4 of 14

Maybe thin out the edge and then overlay thin green fondant on the edge and give it a gentle press with a rolling pin to fuse them together? Maybe use a few dots of crisco to help seal them together? I've never tried this, but it's all I can think of.

MelC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelC Posted 6 May 2006 , 4:41pm
post #5 of 14

or roll a layer of green... then lay a narrower layer of pink over it... roll them together a bit to make them stick... then the green will be the underside & the edges...

Zamode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zamode Posted 6 May 2006 , 7:28pm
post #6 of 14

I'd say forget the bow at all until she stops being so cheap! No fee and now she wants extra work?

cakesbyallison Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyallison Posted 6 May 2006 , 9:22pm
post #7 of 14

I've done this before... after the bow is hardened, pipe on the edges of the ribbon a small bead border - I use a tip #3. Would that work for you?
LL

TamiAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TamiAZ Posted 6 May 2006 , 9:50pm
post #8 of 14

This bow is similiar to Allison's bow except I used a pearl mold..You could do the bow pink and the pearls green (I used a 4mm pearl mold). It is time consuming, but pretty. Also, I wouldn't do it unless she paid. I would charge $25-$30 for a bow that sits on a 6" cake.
LL

dolittle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolittle Posted 6 May 2006 , 11:53pm
post #9 of 14

I know this is a little off topic but I just went to wal-mart and they have a bow there that is white 16.95 Wilton.
Oh and you can use your clay gun and make a round piping put a little water to the edge of the bow and that will add you other color in. I learned how to do the piping with my clay gun on the sides from sharon of sugarshack she has I picture of a baby cake in here photos.

pinkflamingo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkflamingo Posted 6 May 2006 , 11:59pm
post #10 of 14

I roll out and cut a strip of fondant the size I want my finished ribbon. Then I roll out and cut a narrow strip in the complimentary color. Put water on the back of the narrow ribbon and place down the center of the wider one. Roll out again and they will flatten out into one. This gives an awesome effect and is easy to do. I have a photo in my gallery of a two-toned purple one and have a two-toned pink one drying in my kitchen now. Good luck!

CreativeCakery Posted 7 May 2006 , 12:44am
post #11 of 14

Pink flamingo, I loved your two-toned purple bow in your galleries, and I think I may try to do that one, since I wanted the loopy type bow. HOWEVER, I also love the idea of the #3 bead piping on the edge of a "regular' bow, and I also think the pearls were pretty, however, she DEF. didn't pay for that kind of work. She is only paying $35 for an 11x15 sheet with the big bow, and a gold luster dust painted image. AND, she's not paying my delivery fee. SO, pearls are out for THIS cake, but I will be trying them soon!! thumbs_up.gif

Everyone here has such AWESOME talent, and your cakes are truly works of art. Thanks for sharing your art and talent with me and everyone else here. This site really is a supportive "bakerhood". icon_smile.gif

I loved all the pictures posted int his thread...thanks again! thumbs_up.gif

CreativeCakery Posted 7 May 2006 , 12:57am
post #12 of 14

TamiAZ and cakesbyallison, and Pinkflamingo, YOU GUYS ARE BEYOND AMAZING!!! I AM STUNNED AND IN UTTER AWE OF YOUR TALENT!!! icon_surprised.gificon_eek.gif YOU MAKE ME WANT TO DO NOTHING BUT BAKE AND DECORATE UNTIL I AM ONLY HALF AS GOOD!!! WOW!!! WHAT TALENTS, ALL THREE OF YOU!! WOW!!! icon_surprised.gifthumbs_up.gif

CreativeCakery Posted 7 May 2006 , 12:59am
post #13 of 14

MelC, I just reread and realized that you had the same idea as pink flamingo. Thanks SO MUCH!! icon_smile.gif

dianagreen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dianagreen Posted 7 May 2006 , 1:17am
post #14 of 14

hi, i found one just like what you need, it is in sugarshack's pics ... talking to here would get you what you need - goodluck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%