??? About Whipped Cream Buttercream Frosting

Decorating By LinB Updated 10 May 2006 , 11:58pm by LinB

LinB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LinB Posted 5 May 2006 , 10:08pm
post #1 of 25

Hi all!

I am wanting to try this recipe I found in the recipe section. It sounds great. My question is...Will this frosting crust? And if not is there a good crusting buttercream? I only know of the Wilton Class Buttercream...and I don't like it too much.

Thanks

LinB

24 replies
TJSCAKES Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TJSCAKES Posted 5 May 2006 , 10:16pm
post #2 of 25

It doesn't crust, but it tastes great! not too sweet and light and fluffy....I heard the "Crusting Buttercream (viva method)" is good....that's next on my list to try...

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 5 May 2006 , 10:17pm
post #3 of 25

It sounds similar to one I have and it probably won't crust. Mine doesn't.

If you want to make your Wilton buttercream tastes better and less greasy you could:

1. Add a teaspoon of almond extract
2. Subtract one cup of Crisco if you double the recipe. If not then use only 1/2 cup of Crisco per 1 lb of sugar.

lainee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lainee Posted 5 May 2006 , 10:21pm
post #4 of 25

I just made the whipped buttercream and couldn't get it to crust, but it is very light and fluffy.

As an experiment I made the Wilton class buttercream with half butter and half shortening and it still crusted very well. I think it tasted better than just shortening. Note: I added whitener to it because I needed white icing.

LinB Posted 5 May 2006 , 10:57pm
post #5 of 25

Thanks guys. I think I will go ahead and try it. It does state to add more merigue powder for a slight crust, but even if it doesn't that's okay. I did try the class buttercream with butter flavor instead of vanilla and liked the taste a whole lot better.

Since this frosting might not or doesn't crust can you still put decorations on it? Or pipe decorations with it?

LinB

LinB Posted 5 May 2006 , 11:00pm
post #6 of 25

Forgot to ask....Does frosting with butter in it need to be refridgerated?

Thanks
LinB

TJSCAKES Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TJSCAKES Posted 5 May 2006 , 11:08pm
post #7 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinB

Thanks guys. I think I will go ahead and try it. It does state to add more merigue powder for a slight crust, but even if it doesn't that's okay. I did try the class buttercream with butter flavor instead of vanilla and liked the taste a whole lot better.

Since this frosting might not or doesn't crust can you still put decorations on it? Or pipe decorations with it?

LinB

YES! you can still put decorations on it and pipe with it. I used it for the blue cake in my pics and it was great to work with. I heard it makes great roses, but I haven't tried that yet.

debbie2881 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbie2881 Posted 6 May 2006 , 1:27am
post #8 of 25

I'm making the whipped cream buttercream this weekend again. I did it once before, the pic is in my photos (white roses). Its a little tough for making roses because its soft and i'm a newbie at decorating but i'm doing it again this weekend to make sure i didnt do anything wrong last time and also i'm going to be adding the 3rd tbsp of meringue. I've heard with the 3rd that it crusts a little but is still light and fluffy. I love the frosting, i hate the classroom buttercream (all crisco) too sweet. Will post that pic when i'm done this weekend.

meghanb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meghanb Posted 6 May 2006 , 10:37pm
post #9 of 25

There is a Crusting Recipe on this site where they use a bit of flour in the recipe. I did an adaption on it, and replaced about 1/4 cup of the icing sugar with flour, and added almond extract instead of vanilla. I also used half shortening, half margarine, and it is the BEST buttercream I have made yet. But I did notice is was more greasy after it sat out for a while on the cake, so maybe margarine is to blame for that.

sue_dye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sue_dye Posted 6 May 2006 , 10:53pm
post #10 of 25

The recipe on this site is great for making roses, in my photo's - Happy birthday, Garrett's cake and the Butterflies and pink roses were done in this frosting. I used 3 TB of meringue powder. You can also use a viva on the top but very lightly. I use a fondant smother on top of the viva.

debbie2881 Posted 7 May 2006 , 3:19am
post #11 of 25

sue_dye you made that cake with whipped cream buttercream frosting?? your roses are beautiful, its a beautiful cake. How do you get the roses off the nail without it falling apart a little?

sue_dye Posted 7 May 2006 , 11:30am
post #12 of 25

Thank you debbie2881
I use the off set flower lifter by Wilton. I find this recipe make better roses for me.

debbie2881 Posted 7 May 2006 , 2:52pm
post #13 of 25

You are great at making roses, i need practice!!!

sue_dye Posted 7 May 2006 , 3:57pm
post #14 of 25

Thank you.

tirby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tirby Posted 8 May 2006 , 12:35pm
post #15 of 25

sue_dye, did you make it as directed on this site or did you mix it in one bowl? I love the frosting and made it a lot but cant get it quite as smooth for icicng a cake as I'd like. Any tips on that. I did the willson wedding cake in my pictures with it and a few others.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 8 May 2006 , 12:39pm
post #16 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinB

Forgot to ask....Does frosting with butter in it need to be refridgerated?

Thanks
LinB

Nope, it's fine at room temperature.........I have a stick of butter in a butter dish on my counter and I've never had problems with it spoiling!

sue_dye Posted 8 May 2006 , 2:46pm
post #17 of 25

tirby
Your cakes are beautiful. I use the two part recipe and three TB of meringue powder. To get the side of the cake smooth I use a putty knife works great. The top I smooth the best I can the wait a bit the use a viva towel and a fondant smoother on top of the towel. Go very lightly, I smooth lift the towel then again until it is smooth. Sending picture of what I use to smooth the sides of my cakes.
LL

tirby Posted 8 May 2006 , 3:16pm
post #18 of 25

That is so funny! I have a metal one just like it and my hubby thinks I'm nuts....ok I am. And thank you. I just seem to be such a critic on my own cakes. some were easy to smooth and others ...arg.. the last one I did, not yet posted, I was so frusterated I just scraped the whole top off and started over.

LinB Posted 8 May 2006 , 3:27pm
post #19 of 25

Thanks everyone. I am going to try this frosting today. I am making a chalkboard cake for teacher appreciation day. I will post the pic as soon as I finish. I can't eat the cake but will sample the frosting first.

The cakes that were posted as being made with this frosting all look great. You did a fab job on them. I can't wait to try roses with this.

LinB

tirby Posted 8 May 2006 , 3:38pm
post #20 of 25

sue_dye
I noticed in one of you picture posts you said you liked the two batch better than one. Could you tell us why. Does just simply doubbling it help in some way for you?

sue_dye Posted 8 May 2006 , 4:14pm
post #21 of 25

tirby
I meant the two bowl recipe just like it is on this site not two batches sorry. I tried making it with the one bowl recipe and found it to be a little harder to make roses, softer.

LinB Posted 10 May 2006 , 3:50pm
post #22 of 25

Well guys I tried it. I like this icing. It is so smooth and fluffy. Here is the pic of the cake I used it on. Everything is the whipped cream buttercream except the apple and "A", those are colorflow.

LinB
LL

tirby Posted 10 May 2006 , 4:29pm
post #23 of 25

You did a great job. I love the idea too!

sue_dye Posted 10 May 2006 , 4:42pm
post #24 of 25

I love the taste of this frosting. LinB, nice job on the cake.

LinB Posted 10 May 2006 , 11:58pm
post #25 of 25

Thank you! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%