What Size Cake To Use To Make A Cross To Serve 30

Decorating By mamaof3 Updated 13 Apr 2013 , 1:03pm by jsscspd

mamaof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamaof3 Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 7:47pm
post #1 of 8

Someone asked if I could do a cross for a first communion next Sunday. I don't have a cross shaped pan and wondered what size cake to use to cut a cross large enough to serve 30 people. Thank you for your suggestions! icon_smile.gif

7 replies
kandiskitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandiskitchen Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 8:00pm
post #2 of 8

i would use the largest rectangle pan you have. If is still won't be big enough, you could bake two, carve one, then stack it on top of the one you didn't carve. HTH

MiaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MiaT Posted 25 Apr 2007 , 9:29pm
post #3 of 8

I just did a cross for my niece's christening, and got at least 30 large slices of cake from it. I got the idea from "Betty Crocker's New Cake Decorating" book. Make 2 13x9 cakes and layer them. Then cut the layered cake in half lengthwise, giving you two pieces that are 13x4.5. One of these pieces becomes your horizontal part of the cross. Cut the other one 4.5" from the short side, resulting in a 4.5" square piece and a 8.5x4.5 piece. The square becomes the top of the cross, the longer piece become the bottom vertical part of the cross. You will require a cake board at least 15x20" (advice I didn't follow myself icon_redface.gif ). Ok, let's see if I added the photo properly...
LL

SUGARMAMA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SUGARMAMA Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 5:43pm
post #4 of 8

how did you do the 3 flowers on top of the cake?

MiaT Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 6:12pm
post #5 of 8

The three lilies are gumpaste, cut with the help of the Wilton Flower Making set. They were only my second attempt with lilies (the first set of lilies were too dark pink, I'll use them on someone else's cake icon_cool.gif )Then I dusted them with some pink petal dust and added spots with the same color petal dust mixed with water. A few nonedible pearl yellow stamens are held in place with some royal icing hidden inside.

The small pink flowers are gumpaste apple blossoms, also with the Wilton set. (Say what you want about the plastic cutters in this set, the book's instructions are worth the price of admission alone.) The purple flowers are royal icing drop flowers of various sizes.

This angle is easier to see all that...
LL

mamaof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamaof3 Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 2:56am
post #6 of 8

Your cake is beautiful. How many people would you say that would serve? I need a cake to serve 30-35 people.

MiaT Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 5:36pm
post #7 of 8

Well, I got at least 30 very generous pieces out of it, but if you want to count officially... According to this chart on Cake Central, a two-layer 9x13 sheet, which this essentially is with its pieces rearranged, should yield 65 "party-sized" servings.

jsscspd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jsscspd Posted 13 Apr 2013 , 1:03pm
post #8 of 8

Hello,

Would you be willing to share your cake and frosting recipe with me for this cake?

Thanks!

Jessica

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%