Is Mmf Ever As Pliable As Boxed Fondant?

Decorating By liamsmommy Updated 5 May 2006 , 7:34pm by alimonkey

liamsmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liamsmommy Posted 5 May 2006 , 6:36pm
post #1 of 4

I have made a few batched of mmf and love the taste but is it ever as pliable as the Wilton fondant? Thanks!

3 replies
cnikal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cnikal Posted 5 May 2006 , 7:11pm
post #2 of 4

I have found mmf to be much easier to work with and I don't get the cracks that I get with Wilton Fondant. So my answer would be yes.

danifani Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danifani Posted 5 May 2006 , 7:27pm
post #3 of 4

I tried to use boxed fondant a couple of weeks ago to make a very long ribbon, I could not get it to roll out without cracking or breaking. I made my first batch of MMF the other day and I found it a lot better to roll and work with. To be fair this was my first time trying to use fondant to cover an entire cake but I found it a lot easier. When it was stiff I I just popped it into the microwave for a few seconds. So my opinion is yes, I found it better all around.

alimonkey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alimonkey Posted 5 May 2006 , 7:34pm
post #4 of 4

I was once a lover of MMF, then tried using boxed fondant and found it much easier to work with, though I hate the way Wilton tastes. I think a lot of people just don't realize that it needs to be well kneaded to work the elasticity back in from sitting.

My problem with MMF has always been that it's too elastic. It stretches as you lift it far more than the scratch fondant I use (Collette Peters' recipe) or Satin Ice, which I use when I don't feel like making my own.

I also find it too elastic when I'm modeling figures. It just never seems to go (and stay) where I want it to.

But so many other people love it, it's really a matter of personal preference.

Here's Collette's recipe, if you'd like to give it a try just to see how it feels.

2# pdr sugar
1 T gelatin
1/4 c cold water
1/2 c corn syrup or glucose
1 1/2 T glycerine
1 t flavoring (extract)

Sift the sugar into a large bowl. Make a well in the middle.

Sprinkle the gelatin over the water, let stand for 5 min. Heat until gelatin dissolves. DO NOT BOIL.

Add corn syrup, glycerine & flavoring to gelatin, mix well.
Stir into powdered sugar until combined, then knead until stiff.

Wrap in plastic wrap & store in an airtight container. Let stand 8 hrs, especially if humid.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%