Ribbon

Decorating By cupcakequeen Updated 4 May 2005 , 5:27am by tcturtleshell

cupcakequeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakequeen Posted 3 May 2005 , 5:06am
post #1 of 6

Hi all,
I know there was posting a while back about someone asking what type of ribbon to use for a cake that would not soak up the "grease" from buttercream. If anyone remembers it or had suggestions, could you please repost? I'd like to wrap a white or off white ribbon for a wedding cake that I am doing.

Thanks in advance icon_smile.gif

5 replies
flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 3 May 2005 , 7:19am
post #2 of 6

I think you need to get a hold of Tcturtleshell.... I think it had something to do with her.... I am sure she can help you.... I also heard, here on Cakecentral, that you can iron the ribbon with wax paper and it will not pick up grease...

lastingmoments Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lastingmoments Posted 3 May 2005 , 7:32am
post #3 of 6

thats neat to know flav..thanks even thou i didnt ask...im sure thats good to know

gotcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gotcake Posted 3 May 2005 , 12:03pm
post #4 of 6

This is the posting thread on ribbons and buttercream icing
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-2325.html
It's 2 pages worth LOL icon_wink.gif

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 3 May 2005 , 12:16pm
post #5 of 6

You can also do a test run on the ribbon (squirrelycakes told this to someone else) by taking a small piece of the ribbon, putting a spoonful of the icing that you will be using and see how long it takes to before you see any grease come through.
To iron with the wax paper you layer a towel, ribbon, wax paper, and then another towel, and use a nice warm iron.
Other people have used clear contact paper, or sugarcraft apparently sells a tool that goes between the ribbon and the cake to protect the ribbon.

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 4 May 2005 , 5:27am
post #6 of 6

The ironing was because the ribbon for the wedding cake I made had glitter on it. That's what the bride insisted on having on her cake. Ironing was so the glitter wouldn't fall off onto the cake. My opinion would be that BC would make grease stains on any type of ribbon if left on for a long period of time. This cake had mesh ribbon w/ glitter on it so no worries about grease stains.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%