Food Grade Safe Tools

Decorating By MamaBird Updated 25 Apr 2007 , 3:03am by itsacake

MamaBird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaBird Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 5:04pm
post #1 of 8

I've seen several posts about people using putty knives/scrapers and HD rollers for smoothing out BC and notice that most of the "tools" come from the local hardware store.

I would question if any stainless or other metal tools are food grade safe. I think that some of them have oils/chemicals infused into the metal that are not meant for or safe for human consumption and could leach out during use. I happen to mention to the checkout clerk this past weeked what I was doing with some that I was going to purchase (after he almost put them in a bag with pesticide that was being purchased) and he cautioned me about this. I think (correct me if I"m wrong anyone) that food grade stainless is 18-8 stainless or better (not sure about aluminum). Nowhere on the tools I was purchasing did it even give the grade of material used or what kind it even was.

I would also wonder if any plastic tools not made specifically for food handling would have similar risks since petrolium is a common ingredient in plastic. I think I would also be concerned with the HD rollers as well since they are not made specifically for food preparation.

I don't mean to put a damper on these great ideas because I was about to try them myself until I got to thinking about it.

I happen to purchase machined & fabricated metals for machinery that is often used in food processing plants and we are required to use specific metals and plastics and some have special treatments (in the case of dairy machines for example) that need to be done.

Does or has anyone checked out the potential for these problems?

(Sorry, I guess I'm just paranoid)

detective.gif

7 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 5:33pm
post #2 of 8

Stainless steel is used for food work prep surfaces, so it is assumed to be food-safe. Sometimes hardware surfaces are treated with oil, or something to make it shiny and appealing. It is always best to wash all hand tools used on food with the hottest soapy water available.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 7:16pm
post #3 of 8

Gotta be honest, I think you're "overthinking" the issue. Something in EVERYTHING has some potential for harm. in the 2 seconds a metal putty knife or a HD roller is in contact with the icing, how could anything "leach out?"

Hippiemama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hippiemama Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 7:27pm
post #4 of 8

I also have been thinking about this. I really want to try the hd roller trick though, lol.

Those who are licensed - has the health department seen your toys? What have they said?

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 25 Apr 2007 , 2:43am
post #5 of 8

Stainless steel in anyform (even the low grades) is still food safe. The ones that you are probably purchasing are a higher grade due to the food or the processes that will be going over them. I also use to work for a stainless steel fabricator and we fabricated items for all types of food and chemical places.

It is the carbon steel that you get into problems with. There are SO many different grades that you never know if it is food safe or not. There are some knifes out there that are carbon steel and food safe, however there are even more grades of carbon steel that are not food safe.

Not sure if much of this makes sense, I will have to re-read it tomorrow as I am a little tired tonight and I think i'm starting to ramble.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 25 Apr 2007 , 2:45am
post #6 of 8

Oh, my, carbon steel! Just thinking about the rust scares me! But it does make the best knives you will ever own.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 25 Apr 2007 , 2:57am
post #7 of 8

MamaBird, I can understand and completely respect your concern. For anyone who is remotely concerned about this, I always suggest you use a Viva paper towel or similar product between the cake and the roller to insure you are being safe. While I cannot guarantee that the roller will not cause any harm, I, myself, am not concerned. I wash them well with antibacterial dish soap, and as previously mentioned by another poster, their contact with the cake is so minimal. However, I know of other members that are of the mindset that they'd rather not take that chance, so they simply use Viva or typing paper as a 'barrier' if you will! So, you can still try that trick, and feel good about it!! Cheers!

itsacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsacake Posted 25 Apr 2007 , 3:03am
post #8 of 8

As far as petroleum being used in the manufacture of plastic, I'm not sure this is an issue, as many, if not most, artificial colors and flavors are petroleum derivatives as well. No one seems to worry much about that!

I once read that the reason it was good to cook food in cast iron is because you get trace amounts of iron (read rust) with the food and that that is good.
icon_eek.gif

I do agree that we ought to wash all utensils and all those fruits and veggies well, but I've never heard of anyone getting sick from cake icing smoothed with a paint roller......

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%