Question For The "goddesses Of Cake Decorating"

Decorating By frog80 Updated 24 Apr 2007 , 2:17pm by CakesByEllen

frog80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frog80 Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 1:35pm
post #1 of 8

I just started decorating cakes a year ago, and am pretty happy with my progression as a cake decorator (especially since I've never taken a class, outside of this site, heehee icon_lol.gif ). Anyways, I've only used mmf and gumpaste for my decorating and have been seeing alot of people saying that they use satin ice. What exactly is this? Does it taste better? Is it chewy like mmf? Is it easier to work with? Can you do this same things with it as mmf and gumpaste? I know this is alot of questions, but you all have been my teachers and I believe that I am learning from the best!! Any and all help will be GREATLY appreciated!! Also, I've done a search to see what it's made of, but found nothing. Can anyone help me with that as well??!! icon_smile.gif TIA!!

Tonya

7 replies
hnogden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hnogden Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 1:39pm
post #2 of 8

Satin Ice is a brand of fondant that is supposed to taste better than Wilton. (cant stand the taste of wilton). I do know that you can use it just like any other type of fondant. ( dont know about MMF, I still havent gotten my MMF recipe right yet dunce.gif ) The only thing I dont like about Satin Ice is that no one around here carries it, I have to get it online. I dont do enough cakes yet to keep fondant on hand at all times. icon_biggrin.gif

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 1:50pm
post #3 of 8

I think the taste of mmf is very close to Satin Ice. MMF tastes better to me because you can flavor it as you mix.

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 1:54pm
post #4 of 8

I use Satin Ice. It has a very mild vanilla taste unless you're using the dark chocolate Satin Ice - that tastes a lot like tootsie rolls. Very yummy! SI is easy to work with - not too soft and you can use it to make fondant plaques and bow loops - cowboy hat brims too! SI can be rolled thin so it doesn't have to be chewy.

Debbie

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 1:54pm
post #5 of 8

Satin Ice taste nothing like MMF in my opinion. Satin Ice is a great brand to work with. It rolls on smooth and taste like the middles of an Oreo Cookie. Not super sweet. MMF to me is not very forgiving. It does not have the elastic qualities that most fondants have. I work mainly with Satin ice.

frog80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frog80 Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 1:58pm
post #6 of 8

thumbs_up.gif Thanks for all of the help. Can you make SI yourself like mmf, or do you have to order it? If you do have to order it, where do you get it from? TIA!!

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 2:05pm
post #7 of 8

Satin Ice is a brand so you cannot make it yourself. I bought mine online from Into the Oven, great price for the biggest bucket.

CakesByEllen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByEllen Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 2:17pm
post #8 of 8

Actually, I have a recipe for Satin Ice that I haven't tried yet. I haven't been doing many cakes lately. You could try it, or if someone has Satin Ice and wanted to compare the two, I'd love to hear about the results!

It is not my recipe, so I won't post it to the recipes section. I usually write down who the info was from, but all I have is that it is from someone named Gapi.

Satin Ice/Fondant:

1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
1/2 cup glucose
1/4 cup cold water
3 tablespoons glycerin
2 lb (900g) confectioners sugar
extract

Sprinkle the gelatin over the cold water in small bowl. Let it stand for 5 min.
Add shortening, glucose and glycerin to the gelatin and water. Place on heat until dissolved. Do not overheat. Remove from heat. Add extract.

Sift confectioners sugar and make a well in the center. Add the gelatin mixture and stir with a wooden spoon, add sugar a little at a time, until stickiness disappears. Knead in remaining sugar until the fondant is smooth, pliable and does not stick to your hands. Store in airtight container in a cool dry place.

NOTE: You use cornstarch when you are kneading the fondant to cover a cake.

Well, hope its clear. If you have any questions Ill be happy to answer. - Gapi

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%