My Sheet Cake.....my Worst Cake

Decorating By kerri729 Updated 4 May 2006 , 11:18pm by donnajf

kerri729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerri729 Posted 4 May 2006 , 6:26pm
post #1 of 14

This is definitely the worst cake I have done. I would so much rather do round than sheet cakes. It is for a co-worker who is leaving the company on her birthday. I really need help with roses- how do I get them from the flower nail to the cake without mis-shaping them? The one thing I did like about it is that I used a textured paper towel to imprint a design all over the cake, although it is really hard to see in the pics. Anyway, thanks for the advice on how to tort a sheet cake- that part turned out well.
LL
LL

13 replies
alicia_froedge Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alicia_froedge Posted 4 May 2006 , 6:31pm
post #2 of 14

Well I think it looks fine. I am the opposite though, I prefer sheet cakes over round cakes! icon_smile.gif

kerri729 Posted 4 May 2006 , 6:33pm
post #3 of 14

OH, and I forgot to mention my horrid writing- yuk!

tysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tysmom Posted 4 May 2006 , 6:33pm
post #4 of 14

I like it and your colors are pretty!! icon_biggrin.gif

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 4 May 2006 , 6:34pm
post #5 of 14

I think that's a lovely sheet cake! But I'm with you, I *much* prefer round stacked cakes.

About your roses -- are you making them straight on the flower nail, or on a piece of wax paper on top of the flower nail? I would use the wax paper, lift the paper off the nail, then wait for them to crust before lifting them off with scissors onto the cake.

carflea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carflea Posted 4 May 2006 , 6:34pm
post #6 of 14

I like rounds more as well. Your cake does look good.

The way we were taught to get the rose off the nail is take a scissors and put it at the way bottom against the top of the nail, don't close the sciss all the way then stab the cake and close the sciss the rest of the way and pull out. Does that make sense?

take care
car

Pootchi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pootchi Posted 4 May 2006 , 7:51pm
post #7 of 14

I love the cake!!! and your writing is not that bad, it's better than mine!!!

icon_smile.gif

Lorris

spottydog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spottydog Posted 4 May 2006 , 7:56pm
post #8 of 14

your writing is soooo much better than mine.!

irisinbloom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
irisinbloom Posted 4 May 2006 , 8:01pm
post #9 of 14

kerri729, when I make my roses I do them on the flower nail on a small square of wax paper, make my rose and put that on a plate and put them in the freezer for a few minutes and then they will just peel off and I can place them on my cake. I find that a lot easier at least for me. Hope this helpsicon_smile.gif

irisinbloom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
irisinbloom Posted 4 May 2006 , 8:03pm
post #10 of 14

Whoops (forgot) I think your cake is very lovelyicon_smile.gif

kerri729 Posted 4 May 2006 , 8:03pm
post #11 of 14

Thank you guys sooo much for your compliments- I guess what really counts is that everyone here at work is telling me how yummy the cake was. One of my co-workers even told me that if he were on death row and had to choose his last meal, it would be one of my cakes! I guess that's pretty good! icon_biggrin.gif

CCCTina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CCCTina Posted 4 May 2006 , 8:08pm
post #12 of 14

Wilton sells little white plastic "scissors" that are angled for this. I use them to remove the rose + wax paper from the nail onto a tray until they harden some more, then to move the flower from the wax paper to the cake. I will sit the rose on a small mound of BC so it sticks on the cake.

I think your cake looks fine. If that is your worst, I would like to see your best. icon_razz.gif

LoriannaN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriannaN Posted 4 May 2006 , 9:13pm
post #13 of 14

I think the cake looks fine! I know how you feel though. I am almost never pleased with my cakes. I always see the little flaws that no one else sees, but you have to remember that most people don't have the same kind of eye that we do. They see a work of art that they could never have done. Just remember that most peole don't care! icon_smile.gif
As for the roses, I usually make a batch of icing that has a little bit more sugar in it than what I used to cover the whole cake. That way it's a little bit stiffer for decorations and the flowers form and hold. Just make a glob of icing on the nail, make the rose on top of the glob, use the scissors to remove it and the end of the nail to guide it off of the scissors. I think it's obvious that there are many ways to accomplish it, just gotta figure out which works best for you!

donnajf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
donnajf Posted 4 May 2006 , 11:18pm
post #14 of 14

kerri729

That cake looks nice!

I guarantee you that I can show you a BAD sheet cake with BAD writing in a heart beat- but ! you will have to wait until I build up enough nerve to post my buttercream freaks icon_redface.gif ...besides I still have to learn how to follow your how to post instructions dunce.gif
Just give me some time-- you will be ENTERTAINED tapedshut.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%