Local Radio Station Baking Cake-Campbells Tomato Spice Cake

Decorating By prettycake Updated 4 May 2006 , 8:16am by freddie

prettycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycake Posted 3 May 2006 , 5:28pm
post #1 of 17

Hello,
A local radio station in my city cooks every thursday (fun purpose), and tomorrow they are baking Campbells Tomato Spice Cake w/ Sour Cream & brown sugar icing.... HHHMMMMM I would be afraid to eat it !! Has anyone of you tried this type of cake ?

They give their review after they eat it.. I'll see what they say tomorrow.. icon_biggrin.gif

16 replies
CakemanOH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakemanOH Posted 3 May 2006 , 5:31pm
post #2 of 17

I believe the cake mix doc has that recipe.

lkuptain Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lkuptain Posted 3 May 2006 , 5:32pm
post #3 of 17

Not sure, but I think that's a cake mix doctor recipe.

CakemanOH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakemanOH Posted 3 May 2006 , 5:34pm
post #4 of 17

Yes I checked my book. It's the tomato soup spice cake recipe. It has Plain Spice cake mix, tomato soup, eggs, water, raisins, pecans, oil. It says in her book that no one would guess what the secret ingredient is.

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 3 May 2006 , 5:58pm
post #5 of 17

I make this cake every fall--it is wonderful. Tastes alot like carrot cake. Give it a try--you'll be surprised.

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 3 May 2006 , 6:35pm
post #6 of 17

Haha, well allow me to show my age. The original Tomato Soup Cake goes back to at least the early 1960's and was not made from a mix but had a far better taste and texture than this doctored cake mix version. Sadly, I lost the recipe and have found many, many since, none equating this really wonderful old recipe. The orignal made a two layer cake, back in the days when the pans were only about 1.5 inches deep. My mother used to serve it with a Mocha Icing, boy was it good and it had a lovely texture to it too, unlike the doctored cake mix version. I guess anyone from the 70's remembers the original days of doctoring cake mixes and wishes they had been smart enough to put out a book like the Cake Mix Doctor which includes so many of these recipes. Who from my age group would ever have thought that so many copies of a book containing these old recipes would have been sold! Haha, wonder if I can re-invent the wheel and make a mint? Everything old is new again.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

Monica0271 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monica0271 Posted 3 May 2006 , 6:40pm
post #7 of 17

I will be the first to admit that I am NOT a tomato fan, But I would try this cake. It sounds yummy!

SquirrellyCakes Posted 3 May 2006 , 7:33pm
post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monica0271

I will be the first to admit that I am NOT a tomato fan, But I would try this cake. It sounds yummy!

Well think of it like zucchini or carrot cake, they don't taste like the veggies either! Hhmn, now spinach cake, I might think twice about, haha!
Hugs Squirrelly

Cakey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakey Posted 3 May 2006 , 7:52pm
post #9 of 17

SquirrellyCakes, I found your recipe! I have an old Campbells' Cooking with Soup cookbook from the 70's that I found in a thrift store, and your recipe is in it!! Here it is:

Tomato Soup Cake

2 cups sifted cake flour or 1 3/4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
3 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 cup hydrogenated shortening
1 can (10 1/2 ounces) condensed tomato soup
2 eggs

Preheat oven to 350. Grease and flour two 8-inch round layer pans. Sift dry ingredients together into large bowl. Add shortening and 1/2 can soup. Beat on medium speed of electric mixer 2 minutes (150 strokes per minute by hand). Add remaining soup and eggs. Beat 2 minutes more, scraping bowl frequently. Pour into pans. Bake 30 to 35 minutes. Let stand in pans 10 minutes; remove and cool in on rack. Frost with cream cheese frosting or use your favorite white frosting.

Variations:

Date and nut: Fold 1 1/2 cups chopped dates and 1 cup chopped walnuts into batter after mixing. Pour into greased and floured loaf pan (9 x 5 x 3). Bake in a 350 oven about 1 hour.

Nut or raisin: Fold 1 cup chopped nuts or 1 cup chopped raisins into batter after mixing. Pour into 2 greased and floured 8-inch round layer pans. Bake in a 350 oven 30 to 35 minutes.

Hope this is what you're looking for!

Monica0271 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monica0271 Posted 3 May 2006 , 8:26pm
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Quote:

Well think of it like zucchini or carrot cake, they don't taste like the veggies either! Hhmn, now spinach cake, I might think twice about, haha!
Hugs Squirrelly

Thank you explaining it like that. Thats just what I was thinking! icon_smile.gif

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 3 May 2006 , 8:35pm
post #11 of 17

Squirrelly, I remember talking about this cake with a nurse as I was awaiting a C-section back in 1963! She was talking to me about a book that had recipes for cakes using Coca Cola, soup, etc. I printed out the recipe that was posted today and am going to make it sometime.

By the way Squirrelly, Would you share your background with me? Are you self taught or do you have a degree in food chemistry. I have printed out so many of the things you have posted because I find them so invaluable. Thank You So Much.

SquirrellyCakes Posted 3 May 2006 , 9:49pm
post #12 of 17

Thanks Cakey!!! I will try that out soon and see if it tastes like Mom's! I have tried about 5 different variations the last couple of years and none were right, let us hope this is it! I was so disappointed in the new version of Campbell's book , it was all cake mix based!
Hugs Squirrelly

SquirrellyCakes Posted 3 May 2006 , 10:31pm
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by fearlessbaker

Squirrelly, I remember talking about this cake with a nurse as I was awaiting a C-section back in 1963! She was talking to me about a book that had recipes for cakes using Coca Cola, soup, etc. I printed out the recipe that was posted today and am going to make it sometime.

By the way Squirrelly, Would you share your background with me? Are you self taught or do you have a degree in food chemistry. I have printed out so many of the things you have posted because I find them so invaluable. Thank You So Much.

Haha, yikes, did you really mention science and my name in the same sentence, haha! No, no degree in food chemistry but if I could go back in time, I would have appreciated chemistry if it had been related to baking.
I have what I refer to as a second hand education, haha! Some paid for, but not for me, haha and some not. My youngest took the Baker's course so I absorbed everything she learned and wore out her books too. And we have a lot of family members that are pastry chefs, bakers and chefs.
I just have the four years of home economics from elementary and highschool and a lot of love for baking. I guess I was teacher's pet in the cooking end of the courses mostly because the other kids hadn't a lot of background in it and I had been baking on my own since I was about 9. I read a lot.
Thank you for your kind words, I have much to learn before I die, haha and I am not planning on going anywhere soon...Stop booing, haha....
Hugs Squirrelly

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 3 May 2006 , 10:44pm
post #14 of 17

Hey Squirrelly--

I actually make my tomato soup cake from the original recipe. I found the recipe after my husband and I got married in 1991. Campbell's had reprinted it in a magazine and I thought "Now that's unusual. I'm going to make that and then tell everyone what it's made with AFTER they eat it."

I haven't used the doctored recipe.

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 3 May 2006 , 10:51pm
post #15 of 17

Thanks Squirrelly.

SquirrellyCakes Posted 3 May 2006 , 11:02pm
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac

Hey Squirrelly--

I actually make my tomato soup cake from the original recipe. I found the recipe after my husband and I got married in 1991. Campbell's had reprinted it in a magazine and I thought "Now that's unusual. I'm going to make that and then tell everyone what it's made with AFTER they eat it."

I haven't used the doctored recipe.

Haha, well you know, if they will eat Red Velvet Cakes with two bottles of red food colouring in it, Tomato Soup shouldn't be a big step, haha! But the day someone comes up with Cream of Mushroom Soup cake, I will put my foot down, yuck!
Hugs Squirrelly

freddie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
freddie Posted 4 May 2006 , 8:16am
post #17 of 17

I too grew up with this cake, my mom always made it as her spice cake and I loved it.

Sometimes the old simple recipes made from things they just had in the house are best !!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%