I Need All The Tips I Can Get!

Decorating By LaceyLou Updated 23 Apr 2007 , 5:12pm by Aurora0044

LaceyLou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaceyLou Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 4:40pm
post #1 of 3

i am doing a wedding cake in july. its a square base, round on top of that, then another square, then a round on the very top. it will probably be buttercream. please help me out on getting the square cake edges sharp! ive never even attempted a square cake, so i have no idea how to make it perfect! i will practice a ton though. im really nervous about this one. not to mention that i live in texas and have to transport it to FLORIDA. sheesh. did i get myself in too deep here? i think i may have! icon_surprised.gif

2 replies
HeatherMari Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeatherMari Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 4:52pm
post #2 of 3

Hi!
Well I can't help you too much but I suggest that you get Magic Line square pans (or the square pans from Pfiel & Holing) because they have a perfect 90 degree edge which will help give you a cleaner edge when you ice. Also, I found that other square pans (i.e. Wilton) don't stack well because they flare out and the top of the pan so it is not a straight edge. I hope that makes sense. So that would be one big thing that will help you.
Good luck,
HeatherMari

Aurora0044 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aurora0044 Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 5:12pm
post #3 of 3

If you do BC and the VIVA paper towel trick, blend the icing together with the towel and the warmth of your hand. Then take the paper towel between your thumb and index finder and almost pinch it, bringing the icing to a better angle. That's what I do with the square cakes i've made and they turned out pretty good.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%