Here It Is... And Boy Did I Learn A Few Things.

Decorating By ljhow623 Updated 24 Apr 2007 , 12:11pm by momof5kiki

ljhow623 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljhow623 Posted 22 Apr 2007 , 7:59pm
post #1 of 17

First I want to thank everyone that has helped me with this cake. It was a struggle but not to bad for my first real wedding cake.

My partner and I worked very well together and although there were a few gliches I think it came out not too bad.

Oh the lemon cake was terrible to do. We ended up baking three cakes as they kept sinking in the middle. The oven was at 350. I used great pans so that wasn't it and it bake for 50 minutes (give or take). It was all the way baked but for some reason the middle kept sinking. Any ideas?

Once we finished it and delivered it (an hour away), I ended up forgetting to bring the top layer of cake. Thank god I was delivering it early. Shoot me in the head! Well all ended well though I arrived early for the wedding and brought the top layer with me and finished the cake.

I learned quite a bit of lessons with this one! First, I definately have to practice more on making it square and level. Second, the fondant wasn't that hard but still needs to be practiced. Third, I definately need to keep my cakes cold as they are very moist.

And is it bad that the cake got more attention then the bride and groom? OMG, you would have thought the party was all about the cake. I had someone ask me the price of the cake, they said $600. I'm clueless any ideas?

Anyway for some reason I can't reduce it so it's in my photos and thanks again for everyones help on this one.

16 replies
mizshelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mizshelli Posted 22 Apr 2007 , 8:03pm
post #2 of 17

That cake is amazing, I am so humbled by the talent I see on this site (not that I'm real good or anything, but I sometimes think I can do things I can't icon_smile.gif ).Great job, I'm glad everyone liked it!!!

eilers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eilers Posted 22 Apr 2007 , 8:09pm
post #3 of 17

Chocolate roses????? They look real!! Excellent job, beautiful cake! Your brother must have been delighted!

Sunshine93 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sunshine93 Posted 22 Apr 2007 , 9:14pm
post #4 of 17

It's beautiful!!! The roses are wonderful!

rocketgirl96 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rocketgirl96 Posted 22 Apr 2007 , 11:29pm
post #5 of 17

I thought they were real roses! When I read that they were chocolate - I couldn't believe it. Fantastic job!

Christine

pumpkinroses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pumpkinroses Posted 22 Apr 2007 , 11:41pm
post #6 of 17

Great cake! I love the roses also.

sunflowerfreak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunflowerfreak Posted 22 Apr 2007 , 11:42pm
post #7 of 17

You did an awesome job!!! I love the roses. They look so real. That cake would be at least $600.

Nickii Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nickii Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 1:01am
post #8 of 17

Absolutley GORGEOUS!!!! I am new here and am inspired by everyone here. I have gotten quite a few ideas! Absolutley wonderful cake!

BlairsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlairsMom Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 8:40pm
post #9 of 17

Simply Beautiful! I also thought the roses were real until I read that they were chocolate. Wonderful Job!

mom2seven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2seven Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 9:09pm
post #10 of 17

It's beautiful, I thought the roses were real. You did a wonderful job.

Blue0877 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Blue0877 Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 9:17pm
post #11 of 17

Gorgeous...those roses are amazing!!

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 9:20pm
post #12 of 17

Beautiful cake, I thought the roses were real.

patton78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patton78 Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 9:24pm
post #13 of 17

How many servings was the cake in all? I would have to say that with the fondant and buttercream and fillings, it would be worth atleast $3.50 per serving, maybe even more because of all the time the chocolate roses take. It also depends on the area you live.

For some reason, I always seem to have problems with lemon cake too! I still have not figured out why.

scgriffiths Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scgriffiths Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 9:25pm
post #14 of 17

What a great cake! Was this your first time using fondant?? It looks fantastic!

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 9:33pm
post #15 of 17

Stunning cake! Congrats!

ljhow623 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljhow623 Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 12:00pm
post #16 of 17

Thank you all for the comments. I've only done a few cakes with fondant but this was my first square cake. The cake served 64 without the top layer.

It was a fun cake to make and for my brother - it was worth every minute!

momof5kiki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momof5kiki Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 12:11pm
post #17 of 17

beautiful! I can only hope to be that good one day.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%