Is Orange Zest The Same As Orange Peel??

Decorating By 29apr00 Updated 22 Apr 2007 , 3:55am by Narie

29apr00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
29apr00 Posted 22 Apr 2007 , 1:06am
post #1 of 6

I'm making Lemon filling and the recipe calls for Orange Zest. I can't find orange zest anywhere, just orange peel. is it the same thing??

5 replies
brennan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brennan Posted 22 Apr 2007 , 1:14am
post #2 of 6

the zest would be just the outer part of the peal. do not use the white part it is bitter.

deedee44 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deedee44 Posted 22 Apr 2007 , 1:15am
post #3 of 6

Yes orange peel is the same as orange zest. Just use a grater to make the zest avoid using the white for I find that it has a bitter taste.

Deedee44

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 22 Apr 2007 , 1:24am
post #4 of 6

Ah... orange zest is the orange part of the orange peel. If you have a mico plane, a zester or a fine grater just grate off the orange part of a fresh orange. The white part of the peel is bitter so be careful not to get too much of that when you are grating. If you are talking about the dry stuff from the spice shelves; yes, you can use that for orange zest.

29apr00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
29apr00 Posted 22 Apr 2007 , 1:32am
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narie

If you are talking about the dry stuff from the spice shelves; yes, you can use that for orange zest.

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Yeah, the spice stuff. Not a real orange! gosh i even use fake lemon juice! I'm definately not a baker!

Thanks!

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 22 Apr 2007 , 3:55am
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Quote:

Not a real orange! gosh i even use fake lemon juice!

Tsk, tsk, tsk. icon_surprised.gif .....icon_wink.gif Heaven forfend that the dry stuff would ever be on my shelves much less the bottled lemon juice! Actually, I was afraid that you might have been looking at candied orange peel- although both Christmas and Easter are over. So no more candied stuff at the grocery.

Seriously though, I have used both the dried peel and the bottled lemon juice when I didn't have the real stuff on hand- but not if it is the major flavor component. If it is just a bit of zest in a cream cheese frosting or something that already has a strong flavor, the dried stuff works fine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%