Do You Use Emulsifiers As An Ingredient?

Decorating By Susecita Updated 30 Apr 2006 , 9:09pm by Crimsicle

Susecita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susecita Posted 30 Apr 2006 , 1:41pm
post #1 of 9

I have a recipe that calls for an emulsifier (i am assuming lechitin or something like that?) Im not sure exactly what it calls for. Suggestions appreciated.

8 replies
Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 30 Apr 2006 , 1:44pm
post #2 of 9

I doubt many home bakers use emulsifiers. I've been thinking about using lecithin for more moistness. Let us know what you end up using and how you like it. OK?

butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 30 Apr 2006 , 1:48pm
post #3 of 9

I use Butavan which is a rich "Buttery/Vanilla Plus" emulsion that is a thick and very strong flavoring. I have used it in both my cake and frosting recipes and it is wonderful. My cakes always come out moist with a wonderful rich flavor. I purchased mine from Sugarcraft but they are out of it right now. I need to get some more from somewhere. Hope this helps.
Margie

Susecita Posted 30 Apr 2006 , 4:55pm
post #4 of 9

Butter, that helps. I wonder if there are other emulsifiers. Is the butter flavor too strong? What kind of other emulsifiers are there? Ive been thinking of using lechitin. They sell these at many cake supply stores for chocolate making. It is also supposed to extend the shelf life of a cake....hmmm. Anyone else?

-Sus

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 30 Apr 2006 , 5:46pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susecita

I have a recipe that calls for an emulsifier (i am assuming lechitin or something like that?) Im not sure exactly what it calls for. Suggestions appreciated.

Egg yolks are natual emulsifiers.

butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 30 Apr 2006 , 5:56pm
post #6 of 9

cake_princess, you just took the words right out of my mouth icon_smile.gif

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 30 Apr 2006 , 6:00pm
post #7 of 9

Sorry for having to post again. I did not read the entire thread before posting but there seems to be some confusion. i noticed it as soon as I hit submit.

Note that emulsifiers and emulsions are not the same thing.

An emulsion is a mixture of substances that are immiscible. That is they do not mix. Butter is a good example of an emulsion. The substances in this case would be water and lipid (fat) molecules. The lipids surround the water molecules and bind them in such a way that the mixture appears to be unform.

An emulsifier is a substance that stabilizes an emulsion and keeps the particles suspended in a uniform fashion rather than being separate.

Also, egg yolks contain lecithin.

Susecita Posted 30 Apr 2006 , 7:24pm
post #8 of 9

Yes. Correct. Eggs are a natural emulsifier. But the recipe calls for an emulsifier aside from the butter and the eggs. Hence my question. Emulsifiers are used in chocolate quite a bit and in mix recipes.

Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 30 Apr 2006 , 9:09pm
post #9 of 9

You might get a better answer by posting this in the cake decorating business forum, as using emulsifiers might be considered a "professional" practice. I'm messing with a recipe that I like in every way except for the moistness and have been considering exploring some emulsifiers (other than egg yolks....I want it to be pure white). I'm very interested in where this discussion takes you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%