Just When I Thought It Couldn't Get Any Worse...

Decorating By valora387 Updated 29 Apr 2007 , 3:47pm by Amberslilzoo

valora387 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
valora387 Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 10:45pm
post #1 of 11

Today I made my first paid wedding cake, and I thought I was going to have to give the customer her money back.
A woman who I used to work with asked me a few weeks back if I would make her son's wedding cake, because they were on a budget and she only wanted something small for about 35 people. I quoted her a price of $60, and she agreed.
Last night, while baking the cakes (because I am a habitual procrastinator), I accidently put a flower nail down my garbage disposal. It punctured a hole in there, and now that needs to be replaced. Silly me, I thought when you have that big of a mishap, you don't have to worry about any more.
That was dumb of me.
While assembling the cake today, I felt that it wasn't really necessary to dowel it, so I just put one tier on top of another. Three tiers worth. It was much warmer in New Jersey than it has been lately, and on the way to the hall, the top two tiers started sliding off of the bottom layer. My husband had to meet me at the hall where the reception was being held with some icing, my spatula, and the wrong tips (I forgot to tell him which ones to bring.) I ended up taking the whole cake apart, put straws into it to give it some strength and support, re-assembling it, and re-decorating all in about half an hour.
This was quite possibly the most nerve-wracking day of my life!

10 replies
KrisD13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrisD13 Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 10:54pm
post #2 of 11

But you got through it. Breathe a sigh of relief, have a drink, relax. Job done. icon_biggrin.gif

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 11:03pm
post #3 of 11

That cake was a steal at $60! I think it came out great, I like the additions you had to make icon_smile.gif

scgriffiths Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scgriffiths Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 11:04pm
post #4 of 11

Well done. You can't tell! In fact, I think the extra leaves enhance your cake!

cindww Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindww Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 11:19pm
post #5 of 11

I'm so glad it worked out okay. The cake is lovely.
Where in Jersey are you? I'm in North Jersey..

cindy

Hippiemama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hippiemama Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 11:54pm
post #6 of 11

Glad it all worked out in the end.

sarahd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahd Posted 21 Apr 2007 , 12:08am
post #7 of 11

Don't be to hard on youself. Sorry you had a hard time but you did a great job on it both times.

valora387 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
valora387 Posted 21 Apr 2007 , 2:21am
post #8 of 11

Thank you everyone for your input and encouragement! After that cake, I need a stiff drink and a vacation!
And Cindy, I'm way down in South Jersey, in Cape May County (and a HUGE NEW JERSEY DEVILS fan!!!! Go Devils!)

qtcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
qtcakes Posted 21 Apr 2007 , 9:22pm
post #9 of 11

oh you are a brave sole!! no dowels!!!
turned out nice for an emergency cake. thats why i hate delivering so late. i want to know its there and done early.

great save thumbs_up.gif

Aimeestrange Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aimeestrange Posted 22 Apr 2007 , 7:24am
post #10 of 11

Nice save! thumbs_up.gif I really like the use of straws icon_biggrin.gif

Amberslilzoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amberslilzoo Posted 29 Apr 2007 , 3:47pm
post #11 of 11

That cake turned out great icon_smile.gif Live and learn hey?! I sure hate that saying when things are going so very wrong. BTW, I just saw that you are a huge Devils fan... we are Canucks fans way up here in B.C Canada- we have a friend that plays on the Devils farm team but goes up and plays with the Devils here and there. Rod Pelley is his name... just wanted to see if you knew of him icon_smile.gif Totally off topic icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%