Help Confused - Kitchenaid, Viking, Or Delonghi????????????

Decorating By mcalhoun Updated 21 Apr 2007 , 6:33pm by misterc

mcalhoun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcalhoun Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 8:29pm
post #1 of 17

I have read in the forums, the internet and now I think I am more confused than ever! I want to buy Betsy (my Artisan) a big brother and I just dont know what to do. I really like the way my kitchenaid's head raises up and so do the Viking and the DeLonghi. That is the only reason I have not already bought the big KA - I don't like the ones that the bowl lifts on. So if anyone has any advice on the best of the 3 I would love to hear it. If the KA is the best all around I could probably get use to the way it lifts. Help Please icon_cry.gif
Melissa

16 replies
ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 8:33pm
post #2 of 17

I've had a KitchenAid that I let my sister have. I bought a DeLonghi and I love mine. I really like the fact that the top lifts up out of the way. I've mixed MMF with it and never had one problem with the mixing. I can't speak for Viking but it is also a well respected name icon_smile.gif

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 8:35pm
post #3 of 17

I don't know what Delonghi you're looking at, but I have my eye on the Major 005 - it has a 1200w motor and has great reviews. I have a Kitchenaid, and although I love it, I need something with more ooomph and bigger capacity (the Major has a 7qt bowl).

MandyE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MandyE Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 8:37pm
post #4 of 17

I don't know about the other brands, but i have a small KA (top lifts) and a big one (bowl goes up and down) and I DO wish that the big was was truly just a bigger version of the small one. I have gotten used to getting the bowl in and out, but it is a little harder to do since the bowl 'locks'. I have a hard time with it sometimes. I also notice that it seems to leave stuff in the bottom of the bowl. My small KA doesn't seem to do this - well, not as badly anyway.

mcalhoun Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 9:19pm
post #5 of 17

Who makes the major? One think I really liked on the Viking is that it has back wheels so you can scoot it back and forth on the counter.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 9:36pm
post #6 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcalhoun

Who makes the major? One think I really liked on the Viking is that it has back wheels so you can scoot it back and forth on the counter.

Kenwood make it, but they were taken over by Delonghi, so I think that's what it'll be known as in the USA. Here's a link to the one I want, perhaps you can Google it to see if it's available in the USA:

http://www.electricshopping.com/shop/kenwood/kenwood-store/mixers-food-processors/kenwood-chef-major/kenwood-major-machines/kenwood-major-km005-with-free-food-processor-baking-trays/index.html

I noticed that they also have a professional machine that, although less powerful, is even better for us cakers if you read the blurb!!!

http://www.electricshopping.com/shop/kenwood/kenwood-store/mixers-food-processors/kenwood-chef-major/kenwood-major-machines/kenwood-professional-grade-major-pm900/index.html

mcalhoun Posted 21 Apr 2007 , 12:29am
post #7 of 17

Yes bonjovibabe that is the one I have been looking at I think. I would love to know if the Viking is equally as good because I think having the wheels on it would be cool. Or I am just thinking I wonder if it would move around the counter top when it was mixing because of the wheels. Hmmmmm

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 21 Apr 2007 , 3:39am
post #8 of 17

DeLonghi = thumbs down on Customer service, doesn't care about the little guy.

Bought mine (7qt) from a place that said manf warranty - when it broke in less than 3 months DeLonghi said they would not honor the warranty, place I bought it from was not "official vendor", was told this after they had my mixer for over 2 months. Fighting with both companies now, reporting place I purchased from to BBB for all the good that will do. Still do not have my mixer back

So if you do buy DeLonghi call them (DeLonghi not the store) first to make sure they are offical vendors in case something happens to the mixer.

Thank God for my 25 yr old KA. Of course I also borrowed my mother's 6qt and that broke making MMF (will never make it again - I buy it now - can't do by hand rotator cuff injury) so they don't make em like they used to. Look for COMMERCIAL grade, not Professional.

Go Viking.

golfgirl1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
golfgirl1227 Posted 21 Apr 2007 , 6:21am
post #9 of 17

I've heard nothing but good things about the Viking. I think that's what I'm going for, soon hopefully!

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 21 Apr 2007 , 6:37am
post #10 of 17

I have a 6QT KA, with the bowl that lifts up and down. This is my first one like it and it took me about 1 year to baking 2-3 times a week to get used to it. Now I really cannot remember how the other worked. I do remember my frustration for the first few months, but that's all done with.
If you make sure that the adjustment is good, I have not problems with it.

Also if you let someone else use it in your kitchen, make sure to let them know to turn it off to scrape the bowl. I lost a few spatulas last fall during a X-MAS cookie bake off with my family!

Good Luck.

Leahw207 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Leahw207 Posted 21 Apr 2007 , 7:33am
post #11 of 17

I have always loved kitchenAid. just my two cents.

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 21 Apr 2007 , 12:57pm
post #12 of 17

Here is my $.02. I am a professional and my mixer gets HEAVY use ( every day, hours a day) I use the Kitchen Aid 620 PRO. Both the Viking and the De Longhi are fine machines, but they are tough to get serviced and their customer service leaves much to be desired. Kitchenaid is still made in the US, and that means something to me. (BTW I also have a kitchenaid blender, convection oven, food processor , hand mixer, stick blender and $1800 ice cream maker etc.)

When I call kitchenaid for something, I usually get it free ( extra parts, like seals for my ice cream maker or beaters for my mixer) I can call, talk to an English speaking human being who has a file with all of my appliance model numbers and serial numbers right in front of them so I don't have to know part numbers or anything. They have even sent me out a loaner machine ( ice cream maker) while I was waiting for a repair on mine.

To me, since I can't afford to be without my tools for several weeks if something goes wrong, I choose kitchenaide.

use2bethiel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
use2bethiel Posted 21 Apr 2007 , 1:13pm
post #13 of 17

I don't know much about all of these mixers and I am a newbie to cc but I had a artisean K/A mixer and never liked it. I bought a new mixer from JcPenneys and love it it is a cooks. Well I know it wasn't one on your list but still just thought I would put in a little note for ya.
Nancy

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 21 Apr 2007 , 1:24pm
post #14 of 17

I learned to bake years ago with a bowl lift KA. For the last 7 years I've had a 4.5 quart and I never liked the top lifting up, I was so glad to get my new mixer a couple weeks ago because it had the bowl lift.

For those of you who want the big mixer without the bowl lift I understand from my husband that it wouldn't be able to handle the same amount of stuff. He's a mechanic and says that because the top isn't as stable it wouldn't be able to handle as much, that little bit of movement you can get makes a difference.

misterc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misterc Posted 21 Apr 2007 , 1:36pm
post #15 of 17

Out of the ones listed I would go with a Viking hands down. I use a Bosch and I love it!!!!!!! They are hard to find though if you don't live on the west side of the country.

mcalhoun Posted 21 Apr 2007 , 1:58pm
post #16 of 17

Oh my another one. Can you tell me about the Bosch? Is it the same company that make the tools?

misterc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misterc Posted 21 Apr 2007 , 6:33pm
post #17 of 17

I believe so. I love mine! It is a bit stronger then a KA. The design is quite different.
Go to this link and you can see what they look like and read about them.
http://www.boschappliances.com/category422.html

Mine is fairly new but my mom has had hers for over 20 years and it keeps going!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%