Need Ideas For Mini Cakes

Decorating By tysmom Updated 11 May 2006 , 7:36pm by MKietzman

tysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tysmom Posted 28 Apr 2006 , 4:32pm
post #1 of 15

for Mothers Day. I sell these to a local coffee shop and not sure of what to do for MD. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

14 replies
kerri729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerri729 Posted 28 Apr 2006 , 4:39pm
post #2 of 15

I would do different varieties of flavors and pastel icings with lots of flowers. Roses, lilies, and maybel some scrollwork. I am doing a couple of mini-cakes this weekend and I am doing the same. Post pics when you are done! icon_smile.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 28 Apr 2006 , 4:50pm
post #3 of 15

I agree with kerri flowers are always good for Mother's day........maybe even some with little bonnets on top or tea cups?? You could mold them from fondant or try to pipe them on .

tysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tysmom Posted 28 Apr 2006 , 5:09pm
post #4 of 15

I love your ideas!! I'm still kinda stuck - like for Easter I did the mini rabbits (I could do 6 per pan) - I have the mini star pan (thought they would be cute for 4th of July) - but not sure what to use for MD. Thanks for all your help!!

mikaza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mikaza Posted 28 Apr 2006 , 5:22pm
post #5 of 15

You mean you need ideas for a shape for a mini cake?

I would try to do a mini 2-tiered cake, and then decorate with flowers and/or scroll work or cornelli lace

You could also do cupcakes with similar decorations

Good Luck!

Chary Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chary Posted 3 May 2006 , 2:33am
post #6 of 15

icon_smile.gif Last year I kept about 15 coffee cans, my husband "flattened" the sharp edges with pliers and I used them to bake mini cakes. I placed the cakes in round cardboard circles and decorated them with different colors and designs of fondant and flowers. I wrapped each one in clear cellophane . They were cute and everybody liked them but it is really much more work than a regular size cake.

confectionaryperfection Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionaryperfection Posted 3 May 2006 , 2:38pm
post #7 of 15

i do this with tuna cans. perfect size for little cakes

mikaza Posted 7 May 2006 , 4:51am
post #8 of 15

Is there anything special you do to the tuna cans to take away the fishy taste?

I've never tried baking in a tuna can...anything else I should know?

Helendelk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Helendelk Posted 7 May 2006 , 4:54am
post #9 of 15

I have used the sweet sue Chicken and dumpling can before... Little larger than a tuna can and was great for what I needed it for...

confectionaryperfection Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionaryperfection Posted 7 May 2006 , 10:55pm
post #10 of 15

just wash them out with hot soapy water.

mikaza Posted 8 May 2006 , 12:17am
post #11 of 15

How much batter do you put in? What temp do you bake at, and for how long?

Kimanalynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimanalynn Posted 8 May 2006 , 12:21am
post #12 of 15

If you are looking for shapes for mother's day, hearts would be good. Around here, they sell heart-shaped pizzas for mother's day!

cindww Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindww Posted 8 May 2006 , 12:31am
post #13 of 15

I love your idea for mini cakes for mother's day. I've done some minis recently just to try out new techniques. They're in my gallery.
I would also like details on using tuna/chicken cans for making minis. What temp and for how long do they need to cook?

Good luck with your mini cakes!

Cindy

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 11 May 2006 , 7:31pm
post #14 of 15

I'm making a mini two tiered cake for my MIL and her mother my grandmother in law I guess..lol......and I'm using a 6" cake pan with a spaghetti sauce can for the top tier LOL I've used soup cans before too...they work great......same temp and everything , just check em' once you smell them! lol I don't know if mine is considered a mini cake I guess since I"m using the 6" cake .....but I wanted them to have enough to share with their DH's and have left overs.......they love cake!!!!

MKietzman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MKietzman Posted 11 May 2006 , 7:36pm
post #15 of 15

I just saw oh tv yesterday. They baked the cake in the pan and then used a soup can to cut out the cake to make mini ones. She got 6 cakes out of 9x 13 pan. Then you could decorate each one with flowers etc. But that would be a easy way to do it and not messy at all. Good luck and post your pictures so, we can all see! Happy Mother's Day!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%