Miniature Individual Wedding Tier Cakes

Decorating By cbcw1964 Updated 5 May 2005 , 2:56pm by pelusa

cbcw1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cbcw1964 Posted 30 Apr 2005 , 9:26pm
post #1 of 19

Hi! I am undertaking the task of making my wedding guest all individual tiers mini cakes that will be placed in handled plastic boxes! (wedding is June 04 and I am doing this because we are not having a reception) Has anyone tried this? It is a Wilton project that uses mini and standard muffin pans. It calls for use of fondant but I am fearful of fondant...this is my first attempt at a special cake! Any ideas for cake batters that work up nicely in muffin pans and possibly tips on rolled buttercream icing. Also looking for guideance on how far ahead I can make these? Heck...I am lost...lol. Thanks to all whom can share their wisdom. I am more fearful of making these cakes than of the actual wedding! icon_redface.gif

18 replies
Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 1 May 2005 , 4:38am
post #2 of 19

Those sound like they are going to be sooo cute! I bet your guests will really enjoy them.

If you don't want to attempt fondant...you could use these instructions. It calls for covering the cakes with ready-to-use icing that has been heated and poured over the cakes. Sounds easier than covering all those little cakes in fondant too.

http://www.michaels.com/art/online/projectsheet?pid=e00118b

I think you could use just about any kind of cake batter you like. You can also make the cakes ahead of time and freeze them. Even after you decorate them, I wouldn't worry about them staying covered at room temp for a week as long as you didn't use any type of filling that needed to be refrigerated. Some say a cake can be left out even longer but my threshold is about a week...after that, I get worried about freshness.

I hope your wedding and your cakes are wonderful.

cbcw1964 Posted 1 May 2005 , 1:07pm
post #3 of 19

icon_biggrin.gif what a wonderful idea on the pourable frosting! Today is round two of trial run on this project...I am changing my grocery list as we speak...LOL! I will be sure to let you know if I achieve success! Your information is a blessing! Thank you! thumbs_up.gif

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 1 May 2005 , 2:33pm
post #4 of 19

Lisa you always come up with the best ideas! These are so cute, and much nicer to serve than just a cupcake...not to mention how much easier it will be to pour the icing! Janice

cbcw1964 Posted 2 May 2005 , 4:05am
post #5 of 19

great news! I did a small batch trial run today using lemon cake and adding lemon extract to my buttercream icing topped with the pourable fondant coating. I think we have accomplished success! The cakes taste wonderful!! Now I just have to tweak my decorating skills with the Wilton tips (I have no experience at cake making whatsoever) add some color and I should be able to complete this labor of love for our wedding guest. I just used ivory buttercream icing for the "trial" cakes and I was very pleased with entire process and results! Thank you so very much Lisa for your insight and encouragement! thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif
LL

cakegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegal Posted 2 May 2005 , 7:43pm
post #6 of 19

Those turned out cute....
I was going to do that one for my daughters bridal shower...but I decided to make her a bride doll cake instead...
Good luck with your cakes...
cakegal

veejaytx Posted 2 May 2005 , 8:17pm
post #7 of 19

They both look very good, I know your guests will be pleased! Good luck with the cakes, and the wedding! Janice

cbcw1964 Posted 3 May 2005 , 12:24am
post #8 of 19

Thanks to all for your encouragement and you knowledge...this site was an immense help to me on this project! Happy baking and happy mothers day to all the mommies out there! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

KayDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayDay Posted 4 May 2005 , 8:13am
post #9 of 19

They look wonderful..GOOD LUCK!

TamiAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TamiAZ Posted 4 May 2005 , 1:59pm
post #10 of 19

Have you guys heard of Kathy Scott's mini wedding cake molds??? It's gotta be the easiest way to make mini wedding cakes.. I'll post a picture of one I did.. You basically fill the mold with chocolate and dump it out leaving a shell of chocolate..You then take one of her cutters and cut a small piece of cake and place it in the chilled shell. You cover the cake with more chocolate, chill and unmold it.. It's that easy. After you get each tier completed you stack them.

Here's her ebay store... http://stores.ebay.com/Sweet-Expressions-Silicone-Molds_Mini-Wedding-Cakes_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQftidZ2QQtZkm

Here's a picture of a cake I did and some petit fours... She makes a petit four kit as well. They are done exactly the same way, just smaller.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/15524/chocolate_mini_wedding_cake.jpg

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/15524/normal_petit_fours1.jpg

KayDay Posted 4 May 2005 , 2:06pm
post #11 of 19

icon_cry.gif Those are SOoooo gorgeous and here i just ordered several of the other kind, yours looks so perfect! Now Ihave to have those too!

Mchelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mchelle Posted 4 May 2005 , 2:15pm
post #12 of 19

Those are so gorgeous! Where else can you find them besides ebay?

KayDay Posted 4 May 2005 , 2:18pm
post #13 of 19

Also , can you ice the cakes on top of the chocolate? I mean I know you could use white choc or colored but will icing work as well?

TamiAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TamiAZ Posted 4 May 2005 , 2:22pm
post #14 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayDay

Also , can you ice the cakes on top of the chocolate? I mean I know you could use white choc or colored but will icing work as well?

I think the icing may slip off since the surface is so smooth and condensation could build up. I guess the whole idea of using these molds is to not have to use icing. Those little boogers are a pain to ice. You use paramount crystals in the chocolate to make it easier to eat them.. The paramount crystals make the chocolate less brittle & crunchy.

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 4 May 2005 , 3:00pm
post #15 of 19

TamiAZ...your mini wedding cake is perfect! This is definitely the way I'll make them if I get an order. Thanks so much for sharing!

KayDay Posted 4 May 2005 , 3:15pm
post #16 of 19

Yours does look amazing, perfect edges and all. I didn't know the tiny ones were so hard to ice. But I am getting some of the molds...they are cool!

cakeconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeconfections Posted 4 May 2005 , 3:43pm
post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayDay

You can use icing on top of the choc. If you look in my photos I have a picture of 5 minis that I did in white choc. The pink is icing. I did string work and everything and none of it came off the choc.

veejaytx Posted 4 May 2005 , 3:45pm
post #18 of 19

I just came from the eBay store, all she lists today are the octagon shape and it says they won't be available until October. Janice

pelusa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pelusa Posted 5 May 2005 , 2:56pm
post #19 of 19

What are The paramount crystals, where can you get them and how to you mix it in?
Thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%