Square Cakes...

Decorating By flavacakes Updated 23 Apr 2007 , 5:08pm by Aurora0044

flavacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flavacakes Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 9:23pm
post #1 of 9

I am doing a present cake for a bridal shower. I've never done one before, so I need your opinions!

Would it be easier to do buttercream or fondant on square cakes?

Which would look better?

I'm asking because I'm not very good at getting those sharp corners with buttercream...but I'm nervous about the fondant ripping on those corners. Thanks for your help!!! thumbs_up.gif

8 replies
kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 11:22pm
post #2 of 9

I realize this makes me kind of an oddball, but I think covering a square cake in fondant is easier than covering a round cake in fondant. It also looks so impressive. I've never had any corners rip, just make sure your fondant is nice and thick. Good luck! icon_smile.gif

MissLady85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissLady85 Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 1:15am
post #3 of 9

I didnt think covering the square cake in fondant was hard,.. (check my pictures i have a stacked cake covered in fondant and it was only the 2nd time ive worked with fondant.) i have a hard time with BC corners!!

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 3:00am
post #4 of 9

kellyM I am an oddball right there with you. I can cover a square cake in fondant and not have any seams, but I always have ones on my round cakes. They are getting better and smaller but I always have one on the round. Our minds must be wired backwards =)

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 3:03am
post #5 of 9

Hmmm nope I think round cakes are easier. icon_biggrin.gif I can get a round cake pretty smooth but square cakes.... I am just now being able to pretty much get it done okay.

Now I have two cakes to cover tomorrow that are TALL....I still have trouble doing THOSE!

flavacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flavacakes Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 3:06pm
post #6 of 9

Thanks guys!! I'll be doing 2 square cakes stacked. I don't know if I should use my square Wilton pans or my straight edge pans with the really sharp corners????

What do you guys think?? Which would be easier and look the best?

Thank you so much!!!!!

LisaMaeCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaMaeCakes Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 4:22pm
post #7 of 9

Hi, I also find the square ones easier. I have seen this done....use your pan as a guideline and put on individual sides & top. Make sure seams touch. Fill in the little gap with royal icing and smooth with your finger. Just have to make sure the royal icing is the exactly the same color. You get really really sharp corners this way. I did a stack of birthday presents in my pictures. Hope this helps

Lisa

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 5:06pm
post #8 of 9

Straight edge pans. Those Wilton square pans are not good for square cakes -- which makes them not good for much!!

Aurora0044 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aurora0044 Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 5:08pm
post #9 of 9

I actually have never had a problem with the BC corners, i'm just really careful when I go over it with the paper towel and the corners blend just fine, but there also not super straight more rounded.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%