Where Do You Get...

Decorating By Fruitloop Updated 5 Apr 2007 , 11:51pm by peacockplace

Fruitloop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fruitloop Posted 30 Apr 2005 , 2:50pm
post #1 of 19

you foil you use to cover your cake boards? I'm assuming it's not regular foil you would buy at a grocery store. Also to those that just use a cake board without covering it in foil, what brand do you buy and where do you buy it from. I really need to find some decent boards that won't stain otherwise I'm going to have to start covering them. I prefer the look of just the white cake board.

18 replies
AgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AgentCakeBaker Posted 30 Apr 2005 , 2:54pm
post #2 of 19

If there's a local cake store near you they should carry it. If not, try www.sugarcraft.com. They have everything.

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 30 Apr 2005 , 10:22pm
post #3 of 19

Walmart carries it too. You could also use any gift wrap (wrapping paper) that isn't thin like paper. The kind that looks like foil. It is just thick. It looks wonderful on cake boards.

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 1 May 2005 , 4:46am
post #4 of 19

Many people use foil bought from the florists. I've been wanting to get some. The advice I was given was to beware the dark colors...they might bleed.

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 1 May 2005 , 4:49am
post #5 of 19

I forgot about the florist paper Lisa. I looked at it in Michael's one day & it was less paper then Wilton's but cost more. I didn't get any. Hasn't someone mentioned something about contact paper or celephane (spelled wrong I'm sure!)? I would like to use different colors. All Wilton has is gold & silver.

cindycakes2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindycakes2 Posted 1 May 2005 , 4:53am
post #6 of 19

I have a cake supply store near me that I can buy foil covering by the roll and they charge a little less than if I ordered it online. I also buy cake boards at Hobby Lobby in packages, but haven't seen the foil there yet. You might also check to see if a local bakery will order them and sell to you.

Chrystal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chrystal Posted 1 May 2005 , 7:28pm
post #7 of 19

i but it by the roll at a cake strore here in SC...

cupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakes Posted 1 May 2005 , 9:45pm
post #8 of 19

I am just wondering if paper such as wrapping or contact is food safe. I really like to use the Wilton board with the wilton doiley (not sure of the spelling) on top that is grease free and food safe. I like the look of the whilte doiley.One thing I would make sure not to used is the Reynolds Wrap Release foil. I think the cake would just slide right off the release paper.

bigcatz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigcatz Posted 1 May 2005 , 9:56pm
post #9 of 19

Does anybody use regular foil, like Reynold's wrap? What is the reason for not using it?

nanni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanni Posted 1 May 2005 , 10:01pm
post #10 of 19

I have used tissue paper that cordinates with the theme of the cake and covered that in clear contact paper-looks great and just adds a little pizzaz to some of them.

cindycakes2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindycakes2 Posted 1 May 2005 , 11:09pm
post #11 of 19

I like that idea, Nanni!

cakeconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeconfections Posted 1 May 2005 , 11:38pm
post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcturtleshell

Walmart carries it too. You could also use any gift wrap (wrapping paper) that isn't thin like paper. The kind that looks like foil. It is just thick. It looks wonderful on cake boards.

You can use gift wrap, but you really need to cover it with something like clear contact paper. It is not meant to have food placed on top of it, so I dont recommend putting a cake directly on the paper. For me, it is better safe then sorry.

I used to use tin foil, until i thought about how thin it really is. It can easily rip or tear when cutting the cake and then you are taking the risk of someone eating foil. After I came to that conclusion, i stopped using it.

You can also use contact paper with prints on them to cover your boards. I also will use white freezer paper.

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 1 May 2005 , 11:57pm
post #13 of 19

My teacher has used florist's polyfoil for years without any problem (it is not approved by the FDA for use with food), this is what the cake stores sell, not plain florist foil, the plain florists foil will scrape and tear, just not as easily as regular kitchen foil. Using kitchen foil definitely leaves the possibility of tearing and leaving your cake sitting on the plain cake board, and also someone getting a piece of foil with their cake. The Wilton paper/foil is okay but only comes in gold or silver and like most Wilton products, pretty expensive for what you get.
Janice

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 2 May 2005 , 3:18pm
post #14 of 19

I used to use Heavy Duty Reybold Tin foil, but that tears too easy.
I do use freezer paper when it is not for anything special, I use the shiny side of the freezer paper so that the grease from the icing does not show.
I also use gift wrap covered over with clear contact paper. There are also some really cool prints in regular contact that I want to try as well. Contact paper is way more durable, you can cut on it and not have to worry about getting any of it into your cakes.

TamiAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TamiAZ Posted 2 May 2005 , 3:27pm
post #15 of 19

I use butcher paper that you get at the grocery store... It's cheap and works great. I use the waxy side up. I've used contact paper and florist foil, but I put the cake on a cake circle that is the same size before putting it on the board.. That way the cake doesn't come in contact with the foil or contact paper!!

trisha1972 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trisha1972 Posted 2 May 2005 , 5:16pm
post #16 of 19

I use Reynolds Freezer Paper. The roll is huge, and costs about $5. It is waxed on the side that I turn out. No stains. Looks great and is cheap!

nanni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanni Posted 2 May 2005 , 5:35pm
post #17 of 19

Depending on the style of the cake you can also use paper doilies and then cover with contact paper-they come in various colors, etc. then cover them with clear-just a little pizzaz...

fran_49 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fran_49 Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 8:12pm
post #18 of 19

I got my foil from cakedeco.com than go to Pfeil & holding-store than go to packaging than foil wrap. it is $5.95 for 20" X 50' it comes in all colors. I think it might be used by the florist but not sure. it is the cheepest I found. I cover it with clear contact paper. I hope this helps I love the colors and the contact paper does not take away from it. Fran

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 11:51pm
post #19 of 19

Hey welcome to CC! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%