Duff's French Buttercream

Decorating By fat-sissy Updated 28 Aug 2011 , 6:36pm by CasperCakeCreations

angkimbrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angkimbrell Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 9:01pm
post #91 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb_one

So as long as you use Pasturized egg-whites you should be fine right?

If not you will have to cook the sugar and add it to the whites like IMBC. I have been using the Whimiscal Bakehouse recipie for IMBC for over 2 yrs so this will be a nice change, can't wait to use it!

I am so excited to try this version of BC. I am curious though, how does it differ from the Whimsical BC? Is there a taste difference?

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 11:42pm
post #92 of 169

As far as I am concerned, the only difference is the amount of work involved.

There is far less work to using the recipe that Duff has shared, than to sit and cook sugar for IMBC.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

doescakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doescakestoo Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 12:13am
post #93 of 169

I have done the cooked IMBC. Now to try Duffs method. Off to the kitchen.

playingwithsugar Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 12:19am
post #94 of 169

Hey, all you newbies to this recipe --

What's your address?

I'm on my way - with a spoon in hand.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

idoweddingcookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idoweddingcookies Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 1:52am
post #95 of 169

okay,this thread has me wanting icing.. and i hate icing... don't whip me for saying that.. but the thought of eating icing, just makes me gag. Too many cakes and cookies I guess.

oops just noticed the pun on don't whip me.. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Doing a ganache icing tonight for a cake tomorrow, but the lady has ordered another one for Saturday, so am going to the store tomorrow and will buy egg whites... and try this receipe. and yes I will taste it.. but if I like it and goes to my hips, I know where you all live! Here on CC. icon_wink.gif

Jadensmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jadensmom Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 2:51am
post #96 of 169

Why did this icing get only one star on the recipe on this site????

playingwithsugar Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 9:41am
post #97 of 169

Jadensmom -

Probably because the person who reviewed it did not like it. As for me, it is all I use now.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 10:18am
post #98 of 169

It's the on;ly one I use now as well - I flavored it last night with Nutella - yum!!

I have also thrown in choc pudding and Hershey's syrup for a filling, adds a very light choc taste. Can't give measurements as I just kept adding until it tasted "right".

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 2:12pm
post #99 of 169

Great thread. It's so long that by the time I read to the end... I forgot the question I was going to ask. Maybe I'll remember it later. icon_mad.gif

SweetResults Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 2:14pm
post #100 of 169

OMG that cracked me up!!!

Glad I'm not the only one losing it....

fat-sissy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fat-sissy Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 2:51pm
post #101 of 169

I noticed it only received 1 star too. But it was only rated by 1 person. So I rated it too (5 stars) and it brought the rating up to a 3. So if anyone else has used this recipe go and rate it. The more people that rate it, the more accurate the rating I think. I hesitate to try recipes that aren't rated 4 or greater

I read in a post by someone else that she didn't like it. Thought it was too buttery. It's just a matter of individual taste I think. I guess that's why there are so many different types of frosting. We love it at my house.

handymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handymama Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 2:51pm
post #102 of 169

sweetresults--do you add dry choc. pudding mix? If so, regular or instant?

SweetResults Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 3:05pm
post #103 of 169

I used dry instant pudding - just kept dumping it in and tasting, needed a little more "omph" so I added some choc syrup as well.

I have also added in seedless rasperry jam!

caryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caryl Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 4:12pm
post #104 of 169

There are two french buttercream recipes listed- neither seem to be this recipe!
What is the actual name of the recipe- or how to find it?

fat-sissy Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 4:49pm
post #105 of 169
caryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caryl Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 4:59pm
post #106 of 169

thumbs_up.gif Thanks so much!

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 5:07pm
post #107 of 169

There is a product out on the market that is called "just whites" It should probably be in the healthfood section of the grocers. I use it all the time for my meringue needs. It's just powdered eggwhites with no preservatives. I have found though that you need to let the warm water and the powder sit for a while so that it gets reconstituted or you'll have lumps of the powder. I kinda like to think of it as the same process as geletin. You have to let that sit and "bloom" also. I haven't had any probs with using "just whites". And beings it's powdered it lasts for a long time and you don't have to worry about refrigeration or salmonella (though you might want to refrigerate it once it's reconstituted).

ericablondegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ericablondegirl Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 5:17pm
post #108 of 169

I made this last week and it was amazing! I used Meijer's store brand of "all whites" and it worked beautifully. Also, at my local Dominick's grocery they have pasteurized whole eggs for another option.

SweetResults Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 6:12pm
post #109 of 169

Just curious on the cost of the just whites and pasturized eggs - I really only want to make this frosting, but eggs and butter are SOOOOO expensive!! I would think the "all whites" would be even more so!

What does everyone else think about that?

sandi64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandi64 Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 6:33pm
post #110 of 169

This may sound dumb, but can someone tell me how much 15oz of sugar is in cups? I don't have a kitchen scale. Thanks!

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 7:04pm
post #111 of 169

Ok...Ok...I just remembered..... icon_biggrin.gif If using pasturized egg whites... do you let them come to room temp, or whip them cold?

SweetResults Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 7:11pm
post #112 of 169

Doesn't sound dumb at all - it is 500ml, which is a little more than 2 cups, not sure how much more though. But the Pyrex glass measuring cups have metric on them as well.

I finally measured it out because I was sick of trying to pour the sugar into the mixing bowl from the bowl from the scale LOL!

purplechic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
purplechic Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 7:27pm
post #113 of 169

I can't wait to try this either!! I love CC and all the great tips and finds from you pros. I learn so much from you all! Thanks!

sandi64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandi64 Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 7:42pm
post #114 of 169

Thank you so much SweetResults! Can't wait to try it now!

fat-sissy Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 7:56pm
post #115 of 169

I pay $2.06 for the small carton of whites at Wal-Mart. The brand is All-Whites.

playingwithsugar Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 7:56pm
post #116 of 169

Peacockplace -

The rule of thumb for whipping egg whites is to have them at room temperature before whipping.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

zoraya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoraya Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 8:35pm
post #117 of 169

hi all! I'm in the process of making this and am now beating in the butter but it tastes mostly like butter to me. can more sugar be added at this stage or should I just try flavorings?

lilthorner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilthorner Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 8:53pm
post #118 of 169

i havent made this recipe but I would suggest flavorings first.. most MBC's do taste like butter and some hate it and some love it

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 9:21pm
post #119 of 169

sandi here tis the weight to cup weight...........I weighed a cup of sugar and it comes to round bout 7.5 ozs so 2 cups would be exactly 15 ozs.

zoraya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoraya Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 9:30pm
post #120 of 169

well I tried adding vanilla and almond flavoring and have discovered that I don't like buttery flavored icing. BUT I mixed some of into the standard buttercream and that came out delicious!!! very light and fluffy, not too buttery, not too sweet. So thats what I'll do with the rest of it. I think Doug mentioned doing something like that a while back on another thread. so its not a complete loss. thankfully I was just experimenting for myself and not for an order.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%