Duff's French Buttercream

Decorating By fat-sissy Updated 28 Aug 2011 , 6:36pm by CasperCakeCreations

butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 9:41pm
post #121 of 169

I was thinking about making this recipe also. However, when I came to the part where it calls for soooooo much butter, I decided against it. I do love butter but I think that for me, it would be just overpowering. I'm glad that you were able to mix it into your buttercream. I can see where that would be pretty good. Thanks so much for sharing your experience with us.

sandi64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandi64 Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 9:53pm
post #122 of 169

Thanks chaptlps!! Gotta get a kitchen scale, alot of recipes are in ounces and pounds. I have been avoiding those recipes.

CakeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRN Posted 28 Apr 2007 , 3:16am
post #123 of 169

It sounds yummy but wow...2 1/2 lbs of butter...that is a lot of butter and butter is so pricey to begin with. You could have 10 bucks in a bowl of icing easily...

guess I will stick to my reg bc...

zoraya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoraya Posted 28 Apr 2007 , 1:13pm
post #124 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by butternut

I was thinking about making this recipe also. However, when I came to the part where it calls for soooooo much butter, I decided against it. I do love butter but I think that for me, it would be just overpowering. I'm glad that you were able to mix it into your buttercream. I can see where that would be pretty good. Thanks so much for sharing your experience with us.

Its definitely a taste thing. Like fondant, you either love it or hate it.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 28 Apr 2007 , 1:23pm
post #125 of 169

Duff's FBC recipe makes a lot of icing.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Jadensmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jadensmom Posted 28 Apr 2007 , 3:08pm
post #126 of 169

Probaby a stupid question, but it is driving me crazy. How does everyone measure out 15 ounces of sugar???

playingwithsugar Posted 28 Apr 2007 , 3:11pm
post #127 of 169

I have a kitchen scale that my son bought for me two years ago, as a gift.

Here's a link to the one he got with a coupon at Linens N Things.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

http://www.lnt.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2545350&cp&sr=1&origkw=scale&kw=scale&parentPage=search

Jadensmom Posted 28 Apr 2007 , 3:12pm
post #128 of 169

oh my, i didn't want to have to buy something else!!! hehehe. Any other ways!!! Thanks!!

Silver044 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Silver044 Posted 28 Apr 2007 , 3:43pm
post #129 of 169

I found this:

chaptlps
Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:21 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

sandi here tis the weight to cup weight...........I weighed a cup of sugar and it comes to round bout 7.5 ozs so 2 cups would be exactly 15 ozs.

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 28 Apr 2007 , 8:16pm
post #130 of 169

If you guys think that duff's recipe makes a lot. Check this one out I got from pastrychef.com
It's the basic 1-2-3 method Italian BC.
1# egg whites
2# sugar (+ 8oz water)
3# butter or *( this is good) 1.5# butter and 1.5# shortening (they used the sweetex).
Well let's see here......if one egg white = 1oz then you would be using 16 eggs for this recipe (dang poor chicken). I think duff's is about half that.

Jadensmom Posted 28 Apr 2007 , 8:20pm
post #131 of 169

Thanks so much!!!

Nitu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nitu Posted 28 Apr 2007 , 8:44pm
post #132 of 169

Sally, I am always thankful for this recipe. One of my local bakery they use this BC and I just love this. I worked in that bakery but never get this recipe.
I am going to try it on this weekend.
Thank you so much again!

Nitu

playingwithsugar Posted 29 Apr 2007 , 12:20am
post #133 of 169

Chaptlps -

Is that a cooked sugar icing, or is it made the same way as Duff's recipe?

Thanks!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Cake_Mooma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Mooma Posted 29 Apr 2007 , 1:55am
post #134 of 169

Just made this icing and not all the way happy with it. It taste like I am eating a tub of butter, Duh it has soooooo much butter. But I think that it is a llittle overpowering. Now I don't know if when it is on a cake how it will taste maybe I will like it more with cake and fondant. Right now, I don't think I will use it again. I'll tell everyone tomorrow when I taste the cake.

Vic

sandi64 Posted 29 Apr 2007 , 12:04pm
post #135 of 169

Another question for all you Duff buttercream experts...does it crust? Can you get it smooth?

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 29 Apr 2007 , 1:48pm
post #136 of 169

Nope it doesn't crust and with some work it can be smooth but i do believe that duff uses his stricly under fondant.

Morphogirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Morphogirl Posted 29 Apr 2007 , 5:49pm
post #137 of 169

Thanks for sharing the recipe! Can't wait to try it!

sandi64 Posted 29 Apr 2007 , 8:05pm
post #138 of 169

Thanks for letting me know!

Cake_Mooma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Mooma Posted 29 Apr 2007 , 11:28pm
post #139 of 169

Well I made the cake and it was good. I actually mixed it with some of the Wilton recipe and it was ok. Everyone at the party thought it was great, in my book that is what counts. I used under fondant. I think that it would be tough to use as just Buttercream, it is a little to light and I didn't find that it smothed all that well. I am a horrible judge, I am to critical about everything so take my comment with a grain a salt because I know that I can be a bit much. Sorry but I am not all oh awh about it.

Vicky

CupOfButter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupOfButter Posted 29 Apr 2007 , 11:33pm
post #140 of 169

I made this and used 1/2 butter and 1/2 hi ratio....delicious! This may be helpful to those of you who do not like the buttery taste.

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 1:33am
post #141 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupOfButter

I made this and used 1/2 butter and 1/2 hi ratio....delicious! This may be helpful to those of you who do not like the buttery taste.

Interesting! Thanks for posting.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 2:54am
post #142 of 169

I like the taste of it more when I used salted butter instead of unsalted.

A week or so ago I was having an attack(one that strikes daily for something sweet). I made some 8" chocolate cake layers. I split and filled 2 of them with IMBC....(became 6 layers of cake, 5 thin layers of icing. I iced it all over with it then put it in the freezer for a few hours while I made chocolate/espresso ganache. When the ganache was cool but still pourable, I removed the iced cake from the freezer and covered it in ganache. I allowed it to remain on the counter overnight.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMGGGGGGGG!!!

DIVINE!

kathik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathik Posted 2 May 2007 , 11:54pm
post #143 of 169

Okay, 1 more stupid question. The carton of all whites says equivalent to xxx number of eggs. The measurements on the side say 3 Tbspns equal 1 egg. So how are you measuring your egg whites? Or are you using 3 Tbspns as 1 egg white?

I really want to try this recipe tonight, so I would appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Kathi

fat-sissy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fat-sissy Posted 3 May 2007 , 12:05am
post #144 of 169

The 16 oz carton is equivalent to 10 egg whites. So if you're making the recipe I posted , use the whole carton.

kathik Posted 3 May 2007 , 12:24am
post #145 of 169

Thanks fat-sissy! So, do you let these come to rrom temperature first?

Thanks again,
Kathi

fat-sissy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fat-sissy Posted 3 May 2007 , 12:45am
post #146 of 169

I didn't wait fro them to be room temp.

donnajf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
donnajf Posted 3 May 2007 , 1:22am
post #147 of 169

Try Toba Garrett's recipe- it's perfect!! icon_biggrin.gif

kathik Posted 3 May 2007 , 1:22am
post #148 of 169

Thanks!!

pumpkinroses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pumpkinroses Posted 6 May 2007 , 1:22pm
post #149 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupOfButter

Does it have to be hi-ratio or will regular crisco work? Also some have flavored it and some don't, does the flavoring help with the buttery taste? Why doesn't it take color well, is it the amount of butter in it? Lastly, do you think this recipe is best under a layer of fondant?

sorry for the many questions, I was wanting to try this on some cupcakes for my son's class and possibly on a sheet cake next month.

TIA
Nikki

lilthorner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilthorner Posted 6 May 2007 , 2:15pm
post #150 of 169

nikki, I have heard that crisco would leave a greasy feel in which hi ratio doesnt so it would be best to do all butter or half butter half hi ratio.

i believe it doesnt take color well becasue of the amount of butter, you can always color and let sit overnight. the color should get darker, though not as dark as the other bc.

i love meringue buttercreams by themselves so in my opinion it doesnt have to be under fondant although its good like that too

I'm sure it is delish on cupcakes!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%